Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Gallery

Mr Moai Floor Lamp

Pages: 1 22 replies

M

What a great day in Seattle, lovely weather. First of all I had a clamp light that I used for the interior light. That didn't work so today I went to a whole bunch of stores looking for a light that would work. I needed a round base that was no larger than 4" around and shorter than 8". I looked everywhere. My last resort was Walmart. I know many of you will cringe but they had the perfect light for 6 bucks. I put in a 60 w CFL bulb set the lamp base on the ground got the moai over the top and WOO HOO I have my floor lamp. Moai cover courtesy of Home Depot. Cost 58 incl tax+ 7 bucks for the light and about 4 bucks for the bulb. 69 bucks for a fantastic floor lamp. 27" tall
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Emsco-Easter-Island-Sandstone-Resin-Head-Statue-2308-1/202365989

I'd Rather Have a Bottle in Front of Me, Than a Frontal Lobotomy
MYMO

[ Edited by: mymotiki 2014-09-27 21:45 ]

It turned out fabulous...really gives him some life!!!

M

ThankYou Vampiress!

I bought the same Moai for the garden but I LOVE what you did with him!

M

So for the sake of having fun..The two Tiki's have been having fun, before mr moai settled down.

the driver

the passenger

turn around i'll wash your back

Way to much to drink last night

mymotiki good to see your name pop up. I ordered a Moai. Thank you for the tip. Wendy

M

The latest in decorating with 2 moai lamps, I have one more to put into place. I started decorating my new place in January. I still have to paint the walls, get my kidney table finished, an area rug and a couple of other things. I have tiki prints that need to be framed so that will be the last project done.

Those Moai go on sale some times at Home Depot's website
I got one for $35 last year.

Hang on here, so the resin is translucent enough that a regular CFL will light it up? Is it naturally that yellow color?

The plastic Moai come in sandy Brown & Grey colors
I believe that is a sandy brown one.

G

On 2014-09-30 15:00, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

Ok, so if you put a light bulb in it, it will pass that much light through?

M

Yes, the resin moai has a translucent quality. Comes in two colors granite and sandstone. i have the sandstone color which gives it a yellow tint. First pic is the lamp I used the second is the idea of making the floor lamp for indoors. my sister beadtiki and my BIL carl came up with the idea first for their outdoor tiki gardem.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Emsco-Easter-Island-Sandstone-Resin-Head-Statue-2308-1/202365989

On 2014-09-30 16:11, Greg_D_R wrote:

On 2014-09-30 15:00, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

Ok, so if you put a light bulb in it, it will pass that much light through?

The Grey one is pretty dark, so go with the Brown/Sandstone version
if you want to use it as a lamp.

G

Cool! Thanks guys. When it's lit, it looks like yellow acrylic. I'll have to check those out.

interesting= this sculpt looks identical to a scuplt of a similiar moai head that some guy was producing years ago. i actually bought one but his versions years ago. wonder if depot ripped him off or if he is behind this version.

here's a link to his version. home depot version looks a little rougher in texture.

http://www.surfwarez.com/ProductDetails.aspx?PID=2085

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2014-10-01 08:48 ]

Same ones, Tipsy

I have seen four different finishes/colors over the years
but Home Depot only has the grey & sandstone versions.

M

ATP It would be nice if they did it in an even lighter color. I sent EMSCO, the company a picture of it lighted as a lamp.

In orange or lime green!

M

ATP lime green, baby! lol

This thread was very helpful - thanks! I was able to get one of these from Walmart for $4.97 locally:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-MS42-020-004-01-Mainstays-Twist-Accent-Lamp-Base-Brown/21156129

Mainstays (Walmart brand) # MS42-020-004-01

Worked perfect - barely fits in the hole, stands up great, provides good illumination. I put a CFL bulb in there, and the head seems to stay cool enough.

K

How did you get the lamp inside, Mymotiki? Cut off the bottom part?

There's a fill hole and plug at the bottom in order to fill it with water or sand for ballast - I'm thinking it's big enough for the lamps mentioned.

We love our Moai. I'm glad I looked at this thread again. I'd forgotten about putting a light inside. I'll show this to Dan. Thank you, Wendy

Pages: 1 22 replies