Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Hawaiian Shirt Art Swap! RESULTS PAGE 26

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 433 replies

Hawaiian Shirt Art Swap - Deadline January 31st, 2015
You make an original art piece (not a mold or a print) inspired by the Hawaiian Shirt theme in any media ~ could be a painting, digital, carving, ceramic, beaded, knit, sewn, mixed, diorama, whatever. People will be paired by random drawing and will send to their partner. Only those who have posted a finished art piece prior to Jan 31 will be included in the drawing. If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a note. Let the arting begin!

Original Post - Folks it's about time for another ART SWAP!!!!! One year we tried to have on and finish before Christmas but that didn't work out as everyone was just too busy around the holidays. If I remember right we ended up pushing the finish date to January 31st.

So how about it? Art Swap ending Jan 31st, 2015? Anyone got any good ideas for themes? TU did a great job of running the last Swap but he is tied up now. I am available to lead this one but am willing to turn the reins over if someone else want to run it (looks good on a resume :wink: )

For those unfamiliar with the concept, you make an original art piece (not a mold or a print) inspired by the theme in any media ~ could be a painting, digital, carving, ceramic, beaded, knit, sewn, mixed, diorama, whatever. People will be paired by random drawing and will send to their partner.

I will send out a mass e-mailing in the next day or so to notify those who don't visit Tiki Central as often anymore. If you don't get an e-mail and want to be on the list, drop me a PM

**I HAVE LISTED THE TOPIC SUGGESTIONS HERE TO MAKE THEM EASIER TO SEE
Tiki Animals
Mythical Tiki
Pinup
Enchanted Tiki Room
Tiki Bob
Maori
Tiki Waterfalls
Pufferfish
Moai
Tiki Restaurant Logos
Tiki Matchbooks
Hawaiian Shirts

Mike

When you hurry through life, you just get to the end faster.
Pirate Ship Tree House

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2014-11-04 21:54 ]

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2015-02-01 13:29 ]

Hot Dog! Another reason to come up lame excuses for why I am too busy. Looking forward to it and I will be strating early to meet the deadline! I like the idea of:
Tiki Animals
mythical tiki
Pinup

T
TikiG posted on Tue, Oct 28, 2014 2:20 PM

Hey Mike!
I'm in on this one - no ideas to put forth, I'm happy to go with the flow, whatever topic is fine with me.

I'm in too. As for an idea...TIKI of course! Wendy

I'm in! If it wasn't for art swaps I wouldn't be creative at all, lol.

No great ideas from me but I'm a big fan of animals. And tiki, of course!

I'm in

Prior swaps were:

Alien tiki
Tiki album art
Cannibals
Sea creatures
Pele/volcano/fire
Ladies of tiki
Birds of the pacific
PNG
Polynesian menu
Shrunken head/ headhunter

New topics
Maybe.......
Enchanted Tiki room
Tiki Bob
Maori

I'm up for anything

T

Mike, thanks for keeping all of us making art for swappin'.

I'm in. Wendy may argue that I might not have time (a baby due any day now), but I'm convinced with 2+ months I can figure out a little bit of time for ceramics (okay, all you parents stop laughing).

I like the idea of Tiki Animals and (of course) Tiki Bob!!!!!

Tiki Bob would certainly be easy for me. Tiki Ano I recently saw the Bob's you made on instagram. He looked wonderful. I know that hang10tiki is good at carving Bob's too.

Just saying, Wendy

I'm in. How about "Tiki Water Falls"

Great ideas, keep 'em coming!

Oh Hang10Tiki, I like your Enchanted Tiki Room idea - classic yet fresh!

T

Or... Pufferfish? I like the idea of all versions of these things floating around... :)

Re: Enchanted Tiki Room, I feel it's not great for those that haven't been there before or who live a bit too far to get there? Or, dare I say... too Disney? :wink:

If you haven't read it, "Team Rodent" by Carl Hiaasen has definitely influenced my thoughts after reading this over ten years ago:

http://variety.com/1998/film/reviews/team-rodent-how-disney-devours-the-world-1200454431/
or
http://www.amazon.com/Team-Rodent-Disney-Devours-World/dp/0345422805

Whatever's chosen, I'm in. Let's make some cool stuff!

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2014-10-29 14:00 ]

:)

T
TU posted on Wed, Oct 29, 2014 4:14 PM

Thanks for heading it up MadDog, you are the grooviest Pirate I know!!!

I am partial to flamingos, but am up for anything, so count me in!

tu

I'd love to try it for the first time, if its a theme I'm into.

Enchanted Tiki Room, Maori, Moai, tiki restaurant logos, Tiki Matchbooks...

C
cy posted on Thu, Oct 30, 2014 8:03 AM

The items I have received through these swaps are some of my favorite pieces MDM, thanks and count me in.

Cy and I have had our names drawn as swappers twice. Thank you CY! Me too.

==================

Here's my suggestion. Each artist picks out their favorite Hawaiian shirt and uses it in some way as inspiration for their art.
So it could be a cannibal wearing the shirt off the back of his meal or ??? It can fit in also with your favorite art theme, form or craft.

==================

Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2014-11-02 05:37 ]

Cy and Wendy-
I'll solve your problem
U both can just send me your completed works of art....

T

On 2014-10-30 15:30, hang10tiki wrote:
Cy and Wendy-
I'll solve your problem
U both can just send me your completed works of art....

Dang, you beat me to it! And it begins...... :) :) :) :)

:wink:

You men are so cute. Wendy

I like the hawaiian shirt print idea AND enchanted tiki room. I've had paintings of my fabric designs on my list for a while.

On 2014-10-30 14:59, danlovestikis wrote:
Cy and I have had our names drawn as swappers twice. Thank you CY! Me too.

Here's my suggestion. Each artist picks out their favorite Hawaiian shirt and uses it in some way as inspiration for their art.
So it could be a cannibal wearing the shirt off the back of his meal or ??? It can fit in also with your favorite art theme.

Cheers, Wendy

I like Hawaiian Shirt idea... I have many that I've picked up, not to wear, but with the idea of creating a craft using them... lamp shade, picture frame, painting canvas, etc. I'd be in to do a craft using a Hawaiian shirt.

i like the Hawaiian shirt idea. but I'm in fo sure!

I will choose a theme tomorrow so GET YOUR INPUT IN!!!
Right now Enchanted Tiki Room and Hawaiian Shirts are leading with Tiki Animals a close third.

How about the "Bad Boys & Girls" of Tiki?

Atomic Tiki Punk you want us all doing portraits of you??? Wendy

How about "Un-Disneyfying the Enchanted Tiki Room"? What would it be if it wasn't at Disney?

Oh No.....I need to send Jon a new picture ASAP!

On 2014-11-04 10:53, AlohaStation wrote:
How about "Un-Disneyfying the Enchanted Tiki Room"? What would it be if it wasn't at Disney?

Trader Vics....

hang10tiki you are brilliant! Wendy

OK the theme will be... Hawaiian Shirts! It seemed to attract the most attention, it's a new theme and would work well for multiple media. I predict a great Swap :wink:

I still like the Enchanted Tiki Room theme, maybe next time.

WC

Good choice Mike.
I just may jump in here.

OK Im in put me on the list. Im getting a nice collection of swap pieces.

This is fun, I can't wait to see all types of art pop up including lamp shades! Wendy

C
cy posted on Wed, Nov 5, 2014 8:02 AM

Sounds good MDM. Please jump in on this one Will carve and keep AlohaStation on task.

T

I'm in, and have a few ideas to start sketching out....

This is going to be a good one (not me, everyone else's work). Mike, thanks for organizing. I'm going to do my best to participate and finish on time! Ha ha.

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Nov 5, 2014 1:45 PM

Hawaiian shirts.
okay!

I guess now...onward to my drawing board, my shirt closet...I shall stop by my refrigerator and garden, first, for inspiration!? Lol as I write this several ideas pop into my head.

I look forward to participant art progress photos as time allows, and I'll do the same.

May all have a blast while creating art for each other. Peace. G

T

First idea in my head. Ceramic mug, slab built. Sketched out while holding a baby.

My goal is to have horribly mismatched seams of the aloha print pattern. Thoughts?

Tiki Ano, great idea. Wendy

David- me like.....
Kool idea
Looks like u got the ball Rollin here

I like it TikiAno!

Inspired by ceramic kimonos, I plan on a lamp with a perforated ceramic shade instead of fabric. I wish I could made it out of thin translucent porcelain but that would require a Cone 10 kiln. The flowers will be punched out of the ceramic shirt to let the light out, light will also come out of the neck and sleeve holes. The whole thing will sit on a wooden base that holds the light socket.

I wasn't holding a baby, I'm just lousy at sketching :lol:
EDIT - I may have to make it Cooke Street style with a faded color on the outside and the bright color inside.

When you hurry through life, you just get to the end faster.
Pirate Ship Tree House

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2014-11-06 21:55 ]

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2014-11-06 22:02 ]

Wow
Awesome Mike
Looks like you two are setting the bar very high

R

So I'm new to Tiki Central but into art. I'm not sure if this is a closed group and if you need to be of a certain caliber or not. I think I'm OK but certainly not great. Is this open to whomever?

Robert V.

Welcome to Tiki Central Robert. The Swap is open to anyone. Skill level ranges from hacks like me up to professional artists. Just have your finished piece posted here before the deadline and I will include you in the Swap. Feel free to post progress pics as you go. A word of caution, we have had Art Swap participants from other countries so there is a small chance you would have to send it overseas - don't make anything too heavy :wink:

So I shouldn't put a Hawaiian shirt on Grog and ship him to some lucky Tiki person

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2014-11-07 11:03 ]

You forgot to put quotation marks around "lucky"

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 433 replies