Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Hawaiian Shirt Art Swap! RESULTS PAGE 26

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 433 replies

Lori,

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

Alrighty folks, deadline is 20 days away. Here's the people I know are finished or are working on something. Let me know if I have missed anyone:
DONE-
DanLovesTikis

Will Carves

Hang10Tiki & SewTiki

IN PROGRESS
Cy

LoriLovesTiki

MadDogMike

MaukaHale

RVICTOR

TikiAno

There were also about 10 there people who expressed interest in this Swap but I haven't seen anything from them. I will check with those people to see if they are working on anything.

EDIT - Also planning to participate SandraFremgen, TU, and Anthony Maye

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2015-01-14 09:32 ]

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2015-01-15 21:09 ]

Now that was a fun lineup to see. Thank you MadDogMike for the work it took. Good Work.

By the way I'm just a simple danlovestikis without the fancy capitals.

Cheers, Wendy

T

Mike, thanks for posting!

Lori, looks great- impressive carving!

Looking forward to seeing everyone's work finish up- any late entries???

Should go in the kiln tomorrow to fire the underglaze.

C
cy posted on Sun, Jan 11, 2015 7:00 PM

An excellent assortment of art MadDog, thanks for posting things that I have missed, all the ceramic work is fantastic! My final plan for completion is in my head and I will finish this week... probably.

Thanks so much for posting, MadDogMike. What an eclectic mix of cool Hawaiian shirt art. I love the wide range of talent in this forum. :)

Just like most artists, I love to procrastinate and live dangerously.. I'll be starting my Hawaiian shirt painting this week.. will post sketches..

Sandra

Thanks Sandra. I know what you mean, I have a bonus project that I hope to start tonight :wink:

Ramp up the kiln and start posting those photos, the excitement is at a high point, Wendy

This is another awesome swap
Great to see the completed and in progress update
Thanks Mike
Everyone is kicking booty
Can't wait to see finished pieces and who jumps in at the end

Recently on Oahu
Every time I see one of these I laugh
This time when I saw it I thought of the Hawaiian Shirt swap
:)

That is so funny. I guess you didn't see any WC's? Wendy

T
TU posted on Tue, Jan 13, 2015 4:24 AM

I'm working on mine, just haven't taken any pics yet. I'll make sure the paint is dry before I mail it lol

Interesting bathroom sign Jon.
TU, glad to see you're in :)

RVICTOR, here's an underglaze tip you may be able to use. When underglazes come from the kiln they have a very flat finish and it is difficult to tell if you have good coverage, especially with large areas of dark colors. When you cover them in clear and fire them you suddenly reveal streaks but now it's too late to fix them. Soak your fired, underglazed piece in water for a few minutes to bring out the color and you can see areas that don't have good coverage. Dry, this shirt looked fine but after I soaked it I saw several areas that needed touch-up. Once the new underglaze is dry I will coat it with clear and fire it, I don't need to fire the underglaze before putting on the clear :)

Soaking in a sink of water, you can see some of the splotchy areas.

@hang10tiki, that is a funny sign! Does this mean a dude has to wear a hawaiian shirt in order to use the restroom?

MadDogMike, I like how your shirt ceramic sculpture is coming along. I imagine putting a candle inside and having the light shine through the flowers? Is that your intention?

• Sandra

Just a note MDM for others who may do this. Be sure that it is completely dry before firing it again or the glaze will boil and leave rough popped bubbles.

MadDogMike I was wondering the same thing as Sandra is a candle to be used with the ceramic shirt?

Wendy

Yes, everything should be completely dry before going into the kiln. After soaking like that it may take a couple of days.

Sandra & Wendy I was planning a low wattage bulb inside the shirt or maybe even a string of white Christmas lights.
My bonus project is slowly taking shape, hope to have it finished on time.

PS - a clean workspace is the sign of a sick mind! LOL

R

Mad Dog-Great tip. Any advice you can throw my way is appreciated.

Wendy-I appreciate the note of caution as well...cause if there would be a mistake to be made, I'd be the one to do it.

RVICTOR you are welcome. I learned the hard way. If it does happen you just fire it a second time with one more layer of glaze and all the popped bubbles will flatten out and it will be OK again.

MadDogMike that's very interesting.

Wendy

Here are some progress pictures.

Lookin' good MH
I made a little more progress too. Need to run down to Lowes today and pick up some pieces of wallboard to dry this between, that's supposed to help reduce warping on tiles like this.

Sandwiched between 2 pieces of wallboard and weighted down to help control warping

On 2015-01-14 17:41, MadDogMike wrote:

Ver-r-r-ry eenteresting!

MadDogMike, I can't wait to see light illuminate from your shirt ceramic piece. The light bulb or the Christmas lights will look pretty!

MaukaHale, the turtle is coming out great. :)

Ok, i just started on mine.. I was drawn to the turquoise color and pink flamingos from this hawaiian shirt.

I wanted to do a mermaid and flamingo painting using a turquoise and pink color scheme. These colors are so soothing.

I barely started on the painting the other night... Right now the background has completely disappeared. I plan to put in the palm trees and maybe volcano! This is a rough painting.. not much has been done:

Nothing like an upcoming deadline to get me workin'
Sandra

R

Well...Got the mug out of the kiln and there was some "imperfections" so to speak on the lip of the mug...a few small areas where the glaze moved and the underlying ceramic is showing through...not a huge problem but they have to be fixed before I would even think about calling it "tradable". I touched them up with glaze but it will be interesting to see how it comes out after I fire it again.

With the deadline rapidly approaching, I have decided to offer up something else in it's stead if the mug isn't completed in time. This swap got me thinking of ideas...and this was one of them that came out of it. I was thinking about Hawaiian shirts with Bamboo patterns like the following photo...

I also had some small tiki heads that i made that I was thinking about mounting somehow...and the end result was this...

So if the mug doesn't work out in time...this is what I would like to offer up in it's place. I didn't want to have to bail on my first Art Swap...So I hope this "door prize" will work for everyone if the mug doesn't come out in time.

Wendy-Just so you know...unlike my teenagers I find great value in receiving advice that can save me pain and heartache.

Wow

This is great

Maukahale- diggin it
MadDog- sweet
Sandra- wow
Rvictor- both great

Pleases send all completed projects to Las Vegas for final viewing

Jon

RVICTOR,

I like the mix of wood and canvas/rope in your piece. The 4 tiki heads make me think of a strange family portrait. :)

Sandra

Sandra - Beautiful!!!
RVICTOR - "unlike my teenagers I find great value in receiving advice that can save me pain and heartache" :lol: Isn't that the truth!!!!!
Did you end up with a glaze skip? A little area with no glaze and the clay showing through? I have seen several theories for the cause of that, probably most common is a speck of dust on the bisqued piece before the glaze was painted on. Those usually cover when you brush more glaze on the spot and fire again although I have had some that I re-fired several times before I finally got the skips covered. GOOD LUCK and fingers crossed. PS - you may want to try a kiln god :lol:

Wow

This is great

Maukahale- I love sea turtles and you've got hang10tiki crossing his fingers
MadDog- wow you sure do complicated pieces, this one looks really interesting, my guess is a mosaic
Sandra- you do such pretty art, I love flamingo as much as sea turtles
Rvictor- it would be hard to choose. I hope you scrubbed those areas and rinsed well before applying the next glaze. If it is dust it's usually clay dust which doesn't go away. You need to remove it before glazing again or it will cause the same problem. I even sand the area to make sure I break it loose and then scrub it. Good Luck.

Pleases send all completed projects to Elk Grove for final viewing

Thank you hang10tiki for making this post so easy!!! Wendy

C
cy posted on Thu, Jan 15, 2015 9:30 AM

You really brought that turtle to life MaukaHale, looks great! MDM, your work is always different and interesting, Sandra the turquoise and pink mermaid is most excellent, and RVICTOR those four heads are super!

So I have not been posting as I have been beating my head on the wall hoping something would happen or the art menahunies would just drop something off one night. My first shot was going to be a aluminum shirt lamp but I hated it.

Not my favorite ?

But I came up with something earlier this week and I'm stoked on it
12x12 aluminum with a two sided bamboo frame held together by rope.
The aluminum will be ground and sprayed with candy color and automotive clear
And the striped with one shot enamel.
And here we go...

Flat panel

Put 90 degree bends on both ends

Hammered the ends over 1/2 inch round stock for the rope to go thru

And now to sand first 80 grit then 180 and 320 and 500 and 1000 and
2000 and then grind the flower in to it

And this is the pattern for the shirt. Oh candy paint I hear you calling

Every one has some really cool work on the thread getting excited for the 31st.

Anthony Maye if that don't beat all....another very interesting swap. I'm looking forward to all the rest of the steps.

Wendy

Anthony in da house.... Sweet

Anthony, glad to see you on board, very interesting! Can't wait to see it happen!
Shaping up to be a great Swap, I count 12 participants involved.

Bonus mosaic slowly drying and being cleaned up.

T

Wow x ... I don't know, everyone!

Anthony, looks great- though I still want to see where you were heading with that lamp- looks like another killer work.

MaukaHale, looking awesome- honu looks fantastic!

Sandra, gorgeous painting. Beyoooteeeeeful!

RVictor, love the little tiki masks. Ditto what everyone else said- are you using a low fire kiln or mid or high fire? I'm not sure if this happens when firing to cone 06, but I do know that adding glaze and refiring to cone 5 or 6 can lead to mysterious results, as the old glaze melts again. Clean, clean clean (as Mike and Wendy said). Hmmm... maybe you'll have to include both great pieces in the swap?? :)

Mike, I was wondering where you were going with the bonus piece- glad the boards work- I always use them for the tiles I work on- just on one side, as it pulls the clay towards it as it sucks the moisture out, keeping them flat. Love the mosaic idea and can't wait to see it done.

Note to all: Sure, Jon will tell you to send your work to Vegas. Wendy has now joined in to tell you to send everything to her in Elk Grove, but we all know that your art's proper home would enjoy it's time in San Diego- and that Dan would steal the art anyway! :wink:

Please message me and I'll send my mailing address. Thank you very much.

Still waiting for someone to fire the kiln (and my Swap piece) at the clay studio...

Anthony - can't wait to see how your pieces progresses, I'm intrigued. As you can tell from my swap piece I'm partial to flowers as well.

RVICTOR, you hit the nail on the head about teenagers. Although my older sons are now reaching their early 20's it's not much better and the 16 year old definitely follows your rule! Some things are universal. I too, appreciate getting advice that will save me time, effort or heartache.

It's getting excited folks!

It was a pain in the butt getting clear glaze inside, outside, and in all the nooks and crannies. But it's done and should go into the kiln Monday :)

R

Everyone-it was probably a glaze skip, once I noticed it I just touched it up and put it in to refine...I had about 5 minutes in class that night as we had a choir concert for my son that night. If its not "healed" I will sand it a bit, rinse, dry and reglaze again. Won't find out what happens until wednesday...but I'm planning that it will be a similar situation based on what I've heard to date.

Tiki Ano-I guess I would be ok with trading both if everyone else was interested.

C
cy posted on Sat, Jan 17, 2015 8:17 PM

Happy to see such sweet entries this year, thanks to MDM and all that participate! I spray painted the background that came with the original frame, used a mixture of orange and red acrylic for the shirt, but left the natural wood show through for the flowers. Next I stained the rest of the Bosko/Witcoesque tiki and frame. I even summoned up all my nerve and slinked into JoAnn's Fabrics for the wooden button eyes.

Perfect Cy! Great addition to the Swap!
"Slinked into Joann's" :lol: They got cool stuff, I'm in there frequently

"Schweet"
Cy, I think he even looks like you.

Mad Dog n Cy- outstanding.....

Send to Vegas

Out of the kiln and the ceramic portion of this project is finished. But I can hear and see it crazing. Not sure why - I have used this clear glaze on this paperclay before so it shouldn't be a glaze fit issue. And it completely cooled in the kiln so it's not a rapid cooling issue. If this were a mug it would render it un-usable, but here it just adds some texture and character.

Unintentional, but you can see the reflection of the shirt in the upper left of the picture and see the light shining through the flower holes. Next to finish the base and electrical

C
cy posted on Sun, Jan 18, 2015 7:40 PM

Beauty!!

Guys these look terrific. Two weeks to go. Yippee. Wendy

CY that's rad love it

Mdm really looks killer

Tikiano if I ever finish that lamp I'll let Ya know.

Well I sprayed the candy and transparent green
Now to pin stripe it.

Anthony Maye

[ Edited by: anthonymaye 2015-01-18 21:25 ]

MadDog- great colors, I need a shirt with those colors
Anthony- killer bra, lookin sweet...

Very cool Anthony!

The mosaic went into the bisque fire this morning (painted the "Aloha" label on after the pic). You can put underglaze on unfired greenware like I have done here. It speeds up the process as it eliminates one firing. But there is a risk - handling the unfired clay in it's very fragile state there is always a chance of breaking something. Since these were thick pieces, I went ahead and took the risk.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 433 replies