Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Hawaiian Shirt Art Swap! RESULTS PAGE 26

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 433 replies

LoriLovesTiki I saw the CNN report on the approaching storm. I really hope you are at home when it hits. Wendy

T

Lori, thinking warm (and dry) thoughts for you. Be safe and hope you are well!

cy, Hmmm... I may have spent some time in the principal's office

Wendy, yes- Tiki Ari actually slept 7 hours (coincidentally enough) last night , leaving me time to get some, ahem , important work done.

Sandra, love the painting. Please don't listen to Hang10, he's a bit confused. Please send to San Diego. Thank you.

Everything looks great! So impressed with the variety, style, & execution of everyone's entries.

My mug is out of the kiln- glaze came out well (to me, hope everyone else likes). My internet at home is down (using my phone to post this) but will post photos on Monday. There are a couple photos on my instagram page if you want/ need further proof! I'm working on a bonus piece, will have to be underglazes since there probably won't be time to bisque & glaze fire!

Ano- send to Vegas

I'm still working on this but getting closer!

Lori, be safe and warm. Keeping our fingers crossed for your firing
MH, love those green colors, they really POP!

T

MH, looks great!

Jon, okay, I'll let you have ONE swap piece...

Okay, here are a few photos. I'm still hoping to finish the bonus piece. This is Part 1:

I used a midfire glaze on the mug that "breaks" in different colors depending on the thickness of the glaze (blue and brown). I like how it turned out, it's a bit funky, sort of like an Aloha Shirt after a long day at Tiki Oasis. Hope you like...

Top:

Bottom:

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2015-01-26 15:01 ]

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Jan 26, 2015 1:57 PM

Greetings fellow T.C. art swappers - TikiG here with a quick peek of my swap painting so far!

I will be finishing up this work this week as time allows so it'll probably be another two or three cram sessions to get it done on time. Shooting for the deadline Saturday and I'll unveil the whole artwork at that point. Anyway, I took the liberty to incorporate the aloha shirt topic within the context of early 50s horror comics and this is what my mind came up with:

As for all the cool art posted so far I salute each artist for a job well done...its always a pleasure to participate in this exercise of heart-felt creativity and sharing. On to the next...G

WOW, I wasn't expecting that color! LOL Nice!

Hmmm, horror aloha shirt? Can't wait to see what you come up with Greg :D

Everything posted today looks great!

TikiAno - do you have a stamp for your clay works? If so, I need to know how I can get one.

A bit of good news, I go into school today and brought home my piece and enough glaze to finish. We're already cancelled for tomorrow so I'll have plenty of time to paint. Whenever we get back into school I will have a piece ready to go into the kiln. And there's student work that was supposed to go in today and didn't it should fire that day. So barring another storm I should have a finished piece to swap. Since I won't have time to re-glaze if needed, my swap partner won't get a choice of color. He/she will get whichever piece comes out better with no retouching (or minimal) needed.

T

Lori, good luck! Yes, I use a rubber stamp- not the best for clay that's too firm, but works well. You can get custom rubber stamps online, I got mine at rubberstampchamp.com (I think).

Mike, I'm full of surprises. As are midfire glazes. :) Well, non-underglaze midfire glazes!

MaukaHale- Lookin good
TikiAno- great color
TikiG- sweet
Lori- fire fire fire

Packed and ready to go :wink: Multiple layers of cardboard and various foams

Mike- sending just foam n peanuts or did the swap items fit in the box too?

:)

Just the packing materials :wink:
Those are biodegradable peanuts by the way, made of corn starch instead of polystyrene. They can be eaten, have a flavor reminiscent of "healthy" popcorn (unsalted & unbuttered).

MadMan- sounds tasty

T

I do love Dan with a mustache.... but...

:lol: :D :) :wink:

T
TU posted on Tue, Jan 27, 2015 6:07 PM

Here is my finished piece. For a canvas I used a toddler's shirt from Sally's and painted it with one shot. After the paint was done I stretched and framed it. Painting on a kid's Hawaiian shirt was one of the hardest things I have ever tried.

My first thought for the swap was to do Enchanted Tiki Room animals wearing Hawaiian shirts, but that was a little too complicated for me.

Thanks for leading another awesome swap, Mike. You are truly my hero!

Great looking art everyone!!

[ Edited by: TU 2015-01-27 18:16 ]

Ano- u Krazy

Tu- awesome (send to Vegas) :)

Ps- hats off to all...great group of artists doing what they love...

Very nice TU. I like the simplistic look of the ocean.

Very cool TU, love the shirt for a canvas idea. And well executed. Is that a flamingo? :lol:
Hero? Not hardly :wink:

Got my panel cleared and my bamboo rope frame done hope you all enjoy.
Mahalo

P. S. Thank you again mike

Perfect Anthony!

Anthony- killer Bruddah (u know where to send it) :)

How many days left?

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2015-01-28 07:47 ]

OK this is my favorite swap because I get to see Dan in the countdown each day.
OK but also because all of the art is so good and so creative and fun. I love
looking at everything each day. Wendy

T

days left....

In case you didn't hear the big storm wasn't really that big here in the NY/NJ area. We only got about 8" and one day off from school. The good news about that is that I was back at school today and my swap pieces are in the kiln. I'm so excitedly nervous about seeing them tomorrow. I'm rather certain that the purple shirt platter will be the better of the two. I carved it 2nd and was more patient. The first one, which I painted blue had carving lines that were nearly impossible to get glaze into. I predict that one will require touch up but hopefully the other is good to ship. Fingers crossed.

I learn so much from every project. Thanks for having the art swap and allowing me to participate. Without the swaps I'd never get around to making art!

Glad to hear the storm was less than anticipated Lori. Good luck with the firing!

Lori- can't wait to see what comes out of the kiln

Time is almost up, get cookin

T

Go Lori Go!

Jon, okay, this one is a little too Manson, if you ask me. A little eerie.. though maybe that's the whisk....

It's out!

The coverage on the blue isn't 100% but it's consistent and not awful. If my swap partner wants me to re-glaze it then I could have it done by the my middle of next week. He/she can let me know if they'd prefer more blue on it. I have the glaze at home, I can recoat it and get it in the kiln Monday/Tuesday and have it shipped out Thursday/Friday. Or you can have it as is, which still looks ok I think.

Lori- freekin awesome (send to Vegas)

Nice Lori! I like the "less than perfect" glaze, gives it a worn shirt look - just say you meant to do it like that :wink:
Glad you got it done

Yeah, that's what I meant Mike! :wink:

T

Lori, it looks fantastic! I agree with Mike, I think it enhances the look of it. Great job!

Jon, great find on that last pic. :)

Ano- :)

Will do the drawing tomorrow, technically the deadline extends to midnight (Hawaii time?) Don't want to exclude anyone :) Still waiting to hear from a couple of our artists.

Lori,

Your Hawaiian shirt came out really nice.

Finished,

T
TU posted on Sat, Jan 31, 2015 2:40 PM

Wow...that turtle is amazing! I am totally stoked with the pure awesomeness of the art in this swap.

T
TikiG posted on Sat, Jan 31, 2015 2:51 PM

Thanks to MadDogMike for reminding me today is the deadline!

A few marathon painting sessions and it's at a point where I'm comfortable in letting it go - here's my contribution to Tiki Central's January 2015 art swap. Its a mix of styles (50s comic book & 60s men's magazine covers)I've been wanting to experiment with for a long time. What a joy to paint and hopefully all you Tiki Central peeps dig it. So here it goes -

"Aloha Shirt SuspenStories No. 1"
Acrylics on 11" x 14" canvas panel.

(Sorry for the awful contrast. Definitely better in person!)

Can't wait to see the rest of the art projects here. There's a whole lot of pride, love and genuine affection for Polynesia surrounding each artistic contribution. Way to go my fellow artists and friends.

Cheers! Greg

TikiG, nicely done!

MaukaHale- the Honu came out great, sweet piece
TikiG- awesome, great job

This swap kicks ars...

(now kindly send both pieces to Vegas) :)

T

Loving the latest posts with the final entries. MH and TG, awesome.

It's a great experience watching people create once again. I'm impressed by each and every Art Swap, and I'm convinced they get better every time around. Thanks once again to Mr. Mad Dog Mike for organizing it once again, and for each and every participant for creating art for the sheer fun of it. Well, except for Jon who apparently carved some cool stuff, but only wants everyone to send their art to Vegas in return. :wink:

Thanks, Mike, for giving us all another new way to spin our minds and continue to let the creative juices flow. Good times. I am sorry, my second bonus piece I was working on snapped during an intense underglaze glazing session. Unfixable, but there will be some extra goodies in with the mug!

OK MaukaHale, I have to confess that I didn't originally see the "Hawaiian Shirt" connection. But now I totally get it :lol:
TikiG - that's great! The gals kidnapped him just for the aloha shirt? :lol:

Here's my list of finished art pieces, am I missing anyone?

AnthonyMaye
Cy
danlovestikis
Hang10Tiki & SewTiki
LoriLovesTiki
MadDogMike
MaukaHale
RVICTOR
Sandra Fremgen
TikiAno
TikiG
Tu
Will Carve

Hello all -

In the interest of fairness, since everyone knows that New Jersey is devoid of all things tiki, everyone needs to send their projects to me. I promise to give them a good home and they will significantly up the tiki factor of my space! Mike can email you my address.

Sorry, Jon. You score way too much stuff on a daily basis. It's only fair.

Beautiful stuff guys!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 433 replies