Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Hawaiian Shirt Art Swap! RESULTS PAGE 26

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 433 replies

R

Ok....sounds like too much fun. I found a shirt pattern and color scheme that looks cool to me. My idea is sort of like the witco tumbler mug but using the pattern instead.

R

I'm going to try to make this one

Nice!

T
TU posted on Fri, Nov 7, 2014 3:46 PM

Great Stuff everyone!! Thanks again for taking the reigns MDM!!

So...how do I fit a pink flamingo into this?

Hawaiian shirt art?!?!?!? Yikes! I hope you more creative souls start posting ideas to give me some.......

Seems as if everyone is into the Hawaiian shirt theme
:)

T

Jon, ha ha ha. Awesome collage.

Robert, welcome to TC. Please be warned, Mad Dog Mike is NOT a hack, don't let him fool ya.

Tu, how about....

Mike, this made me crack up: 'You forgot to put quotation marks around "lucky" .'

Oh no I look like Nick Nolte!

I picked out my Hawaiian shirt inspiration and

bought the canvas.

Just plain fun, Wendy

OMG
You had me laughing so hard the wife
came running to see what was up :)

...and I liked this shirt so much I have two of them. Wendy

T

On 2014-11-09 09:08, hang10tiki wrote:
OMG
You had me laughing so hard the wife
came running to see what was up :)

"Separated at birth?"

Ha ha! Wendy, that was TOO much!

R

Wendy's - good form. Love it.

Posting a photo of the Hawaiian shirt theme mug carve. I thought about refining it but I think it will look better if I go for more of a rough/bruitalist look. Kind of like sophistatikis patterns.

I just love this group of people - crazy and fun (as well as talented!) Jon, I'm glad you posted that pic of Nick Nolte, classic! Wenndy, why am I not surprised that you own that shirt? :lol: David, thanks for the kind words. Robert, great start!

I made a styrofoam armature/mold for my lamp. About 10 inches across and 8 inches tall. But I rounded the shoulders out too much so I'm gonna start over :)

T
TU posted on Sun, Nov 9, 2014 5:10 PM

Tiki Ano, I like how you think. That looks just like the plastic flamingo in my yard...

That's better

RVICTOR good job on the mug.

MadDogMike, a lamp?

hang10tiki made it even better with his dual photo. I had fun when I noticed I had the same shirt.

This is so much fun, Wendy

RVICTOR- lookin good,
you are way ahead of the game

Mike- it's so life like

:lol:

Hey guys,

So just to get this straight... for the Hawaiian Shirt theme, am I making art based on an existing Hawaiian shirt? Or am I putting a Hawaiian Shirt into a painting??

I'm sure it's all good.. just double checking. :) This should be fun!!

Thanks,

Sandra

Sandra - it pretty open to your own interpretation (paint, sew, sculpt, draw...). Just use the theme as part of your art. That could mean anything with this group, which is what makes this so interesting. Currently, I'm stumped! Fortunately there is still plenty of time to have that "Ah Ha" moment.

Sandra, my original suggestion was to take your favorite Hawaiian shirt and work it into your art. However if that art is to make a lampshade it doesn't work because then the shirt is sacrificed. So just follow what AlohaStation said and what you do will be perfect for this swap.

Cheers, Wendy

Thanks for the input, Wendy and Aloha Station!

Yeah, I will go the conventional route and do a painting of a girl wearing a hawaii shirt. I love painting patterns, so it's right up my ally!

@Wendy, that's a crazy side by side picture of you and Nick Nolte. You're more attractive. :)

@Aloha Station, I look forward to seeing what you will be doing!

Sandra

Can't wait to see all the great ideas come to life

T

Sandra, yes, as others have said, "Hawaiian Shirt" is a theme, it's up to you how to incorporate it into your work.

I started working on the Aloha Shirt Mug. First I rolled a slab, then rolled it around an existing form...

That form happened to be a water bottle. I wrap parchment paper around the form so that the wet clay does not stick.

I then connected the seam using a basic "score and slip" technique. I then added a bottom onto the cylinder. Now it's time to wait for it to dry a bit and set up.

It's wrapped up in plastic, just have to make it back to the studio within a week or so to make further progress. Not too exciting for now.

The mug is coming along great Tiki Ano but how is Tiki Ari doing? How's mom? Are you getting any sleep? Wendy

RVICTOR - did you carve that design in while the clay was leatherhard?
TikiAno - nice start
Hang10Tiki - I look like Harry the Hunter from Beetlejuice

R

Mad Dog - Yes, about leather consistency...maybe a little earlier. New to this, so just learning the right time. I've only done about 10 mugs so far...so I have allot to learn.

I have had so much fun with all of the swap topics but this one is going to make me work.

Thank you for all of the wonderful art work it is all displayed proudly and year round.

So My favorite Tiki shirt is a Toes on the Nose shirt i bought out of necessity when i was 19,
i had just got back from Korea. I didn't have a lot of civilian clothes with me in Oklahoma and
my unit was going to 29 palms for field maneuvers. I didn't think i would need them but after the
mission, we had some time and they gave us a night of R&R. So i had to buy some thing, any thing
because i wasn't going out in 40 day old BDU's. That day i bought my favorite shirt EVER and got
tattooed and so drunk i fell out of the van the Chaplin was driving us back to post in, solid night!

So now to the art stuff I think i am going to do a ground aluminum panel with the shirts
design in candy colors on top of the bare aluminum. once i have that done will see
where it goes from there.

AM that's a wonderful story. That's going to be some work of art.

I'm really enjoying the photos centered around MadDogMike. You guys rock.

Wendy

Mrs. Bungalow will be very pleased to learn that I will be reducing my shirt collection by one... undecided as to the direction to take, but certain I will be decommissioning one from the Hawaiian collection. Yes... one shirt MUST DIE for art's sake!

Anthony- awesome
Wendy- can't wait to see your piece
Bongo in da house- happy wife, happy Tiki life

T

More progress:

First I sketched out the design around the mug base. The first clay added was for the placket for the shirt... the rest of the shirt details would be measured off this "center."

Then a collar, a pocket, and sleeves....

If truth be told, first I practiced on a form that a fellow friend and potter (a fellow studio member at the clay studio where I work) made after she saw me put together the slab built mug. We always talk about the Art Swap and she's always interested in hearing about all of the different projects. Hers was thrown on a wheel and she was able to pull out the shoulders a little bit. She had already let this dry and trimmed it up, which allowed me to make a bit more progress. I'm practicing on hers, then using the same design on the Art Swap piece. Just don't tell her I said that. :wink:

I didn't make this one from the start by myself, so I can't use this as the Art Swap piece. I'll post some more photos of both as they both progress, but here's where I left the wheel thrown mug- I'm taking the same approach with the Swap Mug- now titled the "Aloha Shirt Aloha Mug," or ASAM. A collar cut out will work as a straw holder, of sorts. The "fabric print" will be plumeria, and will be appropriately mismatched. Buttons will be added, as well as a few more shirt details, including a few wrinkles.

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2014-11-16 20:00 ]

I don't think a little help would disqualify this mug from the swap. Wendy

I'm with Wendy, a bit of help doesn't make it "not yours"
Bongo, good to see you are in

Ano- off to a great start Bruddah

C
cy posted on Mon, Nov 17, 2014 4:57 PM

Thanks MadDog, Wendy, RVICTOR, and Ano for the great start/motivation. (Still no clue what I will do however)

I have an idea of what I want to do. Being a rookie painter, the biggest challenge is going to be able to paint the shirt I want to use for the project.

I may have to try a different shirt.

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

[ Edited by: MaukaHale 2014-11-18 20:33 ]

MaukaHale I think you've got it going just fine. It will be fun to see where it ends up. Wendy

MaukaHale- lookin good, I think I have that shirt....

Well
To get things going
I thought I'd start by making an extra gift for my swap partner
Hmmmmmm
Wood burner, ok :)

Lil frame, draw out the pattern, burn it, sand it, stain it.

Now for the swap theme part
Hawaiian shirt/print
Hmmmmm
Found a bunch of photos online
Narrowed it down to 10 photos
Printed them all
All will be sent with the gift so you can pick the one you like
Then you can rotate them if you want

Now I better get to work on the real swap piece...

T

Jon, raising the bar. Again.

Okay, here's one more print for you....

and another....

:wink:

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2014-11-19 07:32 ]

Love that second one.....

Wow what an honor to be included with all those celebrity photos. Thank you Tiki Ano.

hang10tiki That frame sure reminds me of my super carved Tiki Bobs. Someone is going to be very happy with their trade.

I'll start working on my painting soon.

Cheers, Wendy

Thanks Wendy-

I decided to do another frame for my actual swap piece
But big
12x12 inches......

Get out the router, torch, sandpaper and stain...

You can find me sitting on the couch next to Cy. No inspiration here yet. Hopefully, it will come!

Jon, what a great idea on that frame. And a nice execution as well. Did you use a tool that looks like a pen and plugs in? I have one of those lying around the house.

Lori- yep wood burner....
Only burnt my finger once :)

MH - great start!
Jon - Love it! Nice choice of photos too :lol:
Lori & Cy - Don't worry, inspiration will find you! Time is on your side

[ Edited by: maddogmike 2014-11-19 20:08 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 433 replies