Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Aloha Texas Tiki !!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 266 replies

T

On 2015-01-15 12:00, AlohaTexasTikiCo wrote:
Here's another little guy that came by for a visit..

Awesomeness!

A
amate posted on Sat, Jan 17, 2015 5:23 AM

On 2015-01-16 11:58, TheBigT wrote:

Jay, I also have a stack of various kinds of logs (mostly pine), but if you run short of logs let me know.

The last time I was over at TheBigT's house he had so many large pine logs, He could have started a sawmill! :)

Thanks BigT. I went to Roundtop today. My uncle has 5 acres with a ton of dead cedars he's trying to clear so I went with him and helped him out. I'm excited to work with cedar again. It's been forever. I'll show the whole batch I brought home later. Here's the tree we pulled down:

[ Edited by: AlohaTexasTikiCo 2015-01-17 19:10 ]

Here's the whole batch of cedar from Roundtop:

AND I went hunting this morning and found these guys. I affectionately refer to the one on the right as the Back Breaker.

Bringing Tiki to Texas and Texas to Tiki...

http://www.facebook.com/AlohaTexasTikiCo
instagram.com/alohatexastikico/
Twitter: @AlohaTxTikiCo

[ Edited by: AlohaTexasTikiCo 2015-01-18 12:08 ]

T

that big one's gonna make something good!

Started work on a new commission:

T

Nice, looks like pine. Maybe you can finish before the rain today!

Just moved all my stash of newly acquired pine and cedar to my carving area in the backyard. It's now off the ground and covered before the rain hits. I'm beat! Hopefully I can recharge and get back to that commission piece...

Well I would have liked to experiment more with the stain and finishing but the customer wants to pick it up tmro so...

T

I like it, i like it! Just a stain finish?

1 coat of poly. Didn't want it glossy.

H

Your last piece came out great.

Here's a new guy I've been working on...

And some new shirts:

T

Sweet, love the character in that one!

Great carves, ATTC, and a great looking shirt. That Marquesan looks pretty familiar, so I'd best purchase me a matching shirt. Aloha Texas Tikis -- well-carved, reasonably-priced, nice-smelling.

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!

D

Really nice! For some reason I really like the hollowed-out area of his mouth. Sometimes I fixate on the strangest things. Anyway - what did you use to get in there? Any pix from the back and other angles? Keep up the great work!

Hey guys, thanks for the cool comments. Sorry for the delayed response. I've been busting it for a month trying to finish this guy for March 1 deadline. DH I got in the mouth with my ghetto poulan 14" and my Dewalt 4"angle grinder. That guy has been a real task. Just stained him yesterday. Will post pics as soon as I can get some decent ones...

Greg - I'm glad you noticed the shirt. I hope you're enjoying the marq. Miss that little guy. Oh, and I must say I love your Wednesday FB posts- super cool. Keep em comin.

N

Looking forward to see it when finished

Here's a basic mask from today...

A
amate posted on Tue, Feb 24, 2015 6:46 PM

outstanding color!!!! Pine?

Hey Amate! Wish I could take credit for what nature does. Yep. Pine. Didn't put anything at all on it. Hope you're doing well sir...

Well here he is freshly stained a 2nd time after finding spots I had to sand again after I stained him the 1st time. I used a mix of natural and red oak (2:1 respectively) which turned out ok. I'm not going to poly him.

I still would like to keep tweaking but the deadline is here so..
Here's the back...

And almost dry...(my whole house smells like stain. #carverprobs)

N

Looks Great i love the hand holding the Mauri

Here's a moai I currently refinished. Suffice it to say a light coat of ebony beats green any day.

A new cedar moai:

Bought a boston fern to drop in this planter. On a foggy morning he reminds me of a certain Simpsons character...

Here's a few masks from last week:
The AstroMoai:

Two brothers:

And here's King Lei Low in his new home:

I think that's BigT imbibing in the background here:

3ft moai:

Moai mask:

T

Sweet stuff!

On 2015-03-04 17:53, AlohaTexasTikiCo wrote:
I think that's BigT imbibing in the background here:

guilty as charged. And no more Dark and Stormy's for me!

N

nice! I kike the 3 foot tiki

Disney Pele commission:

Still have a lot of work to do...

Your Pele is coming along nicely! Looks like a fun carve..

At first I was wondering why the end was red, but I look back and saw that it's Cedar! Nice!! Really nice two-tone color effect happening... And I bet it smells awesome all day long. Shoot- I'd probably be keeping all the scrap to grill with!

Dig the 3ft Moai, and your Moai that looks all sleek and Mod.

N

Good to see you back in action!!

Thx Skully. The cedar is fun to work with. This particular piece was left over from a palapa build. Loving working with it.

Hey Laz- saw ur FB post about the new tool. How's it working so far?

C

I like it!

A
amate posted on Sat, Apr 4, 2015 6:36 AM

That turned out great! Nice color...

Thanks Conga/Amate. Hope you guys have a great Easter.

N

hard work pays off . thank you for posting

Here he is in his new home with volcano hat flaming...

T

oh now that's killer! nice design. how's that elbow doin?

Thanks T. It's still sore but I find I'm able to manage my way through carvings if I'm careful. Thanks for the inquiry...

C
cy posted on Thu, Apr 9, 2015 8:16 AM

New one looks great ATTC.

Thanks Cy!

Really like these last two.

Thanks. How's the carving down under?

Little more do to on this guy...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 266 replies