Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Flora Lounge - Kansas City, MO (pic heavy)

Pages: 1 30 replies

Greetings, my name is mokan-tiki...and I'm a tiki-aholic.

I have admired so many other home bars that others have poured their heart and soul into and figured I would finally work up the courage to create an account (after too many years lurking in the forums) and post my own. I know I enjoy pic heavy posts, but didn't want to bog you all down with too much, so I collaged a few of them.

I have had an ever growing collection of tiki ephemera and about ten years ago a buddy of mine helped me build a bar and thus the Flora Lounge was born.

The bar was stained, what little tiki schwag I had was hung.

...but then in March of 2013, I started getting water intrusion in my basement. A little at first, then a lot. Had to suck it up and tear down the walls to see what was going on, and sure enough...cracks in the wall indicated hydro-static pressure from the hillside we have out back. Water was coming through a crack that sat behind the cinder block wall that supports a full masonry fireplace on the floor above. That's where we call a structural engineer and have a foundation company take over.

My wife and I were feeling pressure to get things back up and running, because we had hoped to host a large party for the gender reveal of our first child and we wanted to have it be a tiki-themed reveal. With the foundation work done, and no leaks after several good months of heavy rain, I started rebuilding and improving the Flora Lounge. I demo'd water damaged studwall sections and rebuilt, rehung drywall, mudded and then decided to hang some seagrass matting on the wall and frame it out with stained 1x4, 1x3 and 1x2 just to add some dimension to the walls.

My wife wasn't as gung ho as I was about modifying our basement so I chose this since I can easily remove the trim and matting and the walls are back to normal easy enough. The drop ceiling doesn't really help set the mood, but that's a future struggle.

And here's the finished results...starting with the bar itself.

The backbar with faux floating shelves.

The majority of liquor that I use for cocktails is on the backbar shelves for display. I have two strips of led lighting that run the length of the shelves and I can change the colors manually with a remote or just have it cycle through its colors and control the speed it cycles with the remote. Picked up the strip lighting at Lowes for a reasonable cost, although you can find it cheaper on Amazon if you want to go that route. I myself like instant gratification.

I spray painted metal L brackets and screwed them into the studs. The brown matches the shelves stain well enough you cant see them in the low lighting and the matting covers the the portion screwed into the studs through drywall.

My most memorable mugs made it onto the backbar shelves. And yes, I am also a Lovecraftian, thus the Cthulhu mug and tiki and Innsmouth Fogcutter mug get prominent placement as the tiki bar supplanted my gaming area which was mostly Lovecraft artwork, etc.

And a close up of a chainsaw carving made by a good friend's 15 year old son that he did as a gift for my grand reopening. Alongside it are pics of the proud patriarchs of tiki.

The bar shelves hold more liquor that is either extra stock or just not used heavily, syrups/mixers, bitters, canned juices, the refrigerator for cold juices and garnishes as well as a smattering of glassware. Sorry, its all a bit disorganized at the moment.

The bar unfortunately doesn't have a sink built-in, which is its biggest failing. And I probably would have chosen to make some orginazational changes when building had I known what makes for useful work area when mixing and making more area/shelving for glass/mug storage. The rope lighting hung under the overhang helps to illuminate the bottles in the low light.

To the right of the back bar, I have some shadowboxes I put together representing tiki from my home town of St. Louis and my current home, KC.

On the upper left is a dinner menu/postcards/matchbooks/etc. from Trader Vic's-St. Louis. One the upper right is a luncheon menu/postcards/hotel brochure/matchbooks/photos/etc. from Trader Vic's-St. Louis. Lower middle is various matchbooks/newspaper ads/postcards/swizzle sticks from KC area tiki restaurants such as Kona Kai, Trader Vic's-Kansas City, The Tropics, The Castaway, Bali Hai @ Brettons, etc.

Then we have a panel with a few choice exotica LPs

Outside the bathroom is a large collage of the SHAG Enchanted Tiki Room 50th anniversary postcard set along with a pic of Walt in the Tiki Room.

For our parties, I have a clip of the full garden routine that plays out of an old smartphone that can be attached to the back of the frame so it sounds as if the pictures are talking to you.

Inside the bathroom is all Enchanted Tiki Room items (not out of disrespect, just an inside joke as in my old apartment I had the SHAG 40th anniversary prints hanging up and was told I should expand on that by the same friend who helped me build the bar).

Other items in the room are some mugs from Trader Sams and Kevin Kidney, some vintage photos of Adventureland/The Tiki Room, one of my two Tiki Room LPs, various early Tiki Room sketches from Marc Davis, some wonderground Tiki Room prints and various photos of Walt when the Tiki Room opened. And again, another hidden smartphone plays an audio loop of the full Enchanted Tiki Room show for your entertainment as you "take care of business".

The entryway into The Flora Lounge has on one side a large black velvet painting along with a mishmash of other items

On the other side, a smattering of pictures/items celebrating various Tiki meccas, including the Mai-Kai, as well as some matchbook covers, pics of mixologists Don Beach, Mariano Licudine and Ray Buhen and other items.

Another section of The Flora Lounge, with blacklit floral arrangements, more mugs, and some larger plants.

The glass coffee table underneath holds a Don the Beachcomber cocktail menu along with some pics, coasters, postcards and matchbooks.

The wall panel here contains a smattering of more tribal-esque items and another shadowbox I put together.

This one is of items from the Beverly Hills Luau. It doesn't quite fit in with the other items in this wall panel, but I wanted it to be lit prominently, so I stuck it in there.

Here's a shot alongside the rest of the room. My computer desks sit in the corner and we use the open area to set up a buffet table and punch table for our parties.

Another wall panel holds some monkeyman frames I got way back in the day. They hold albums from Baxter, Denny, Lyman and Edwards.

Then there are some handmade frames for some carvings picked up at the Hala Kaliki giftshop. I put some fabric on foamcore board then attached the lightweight carvings to that and framed it. Looks really good for under $50.

Next wall panel has some old Vargas pinups pulled from old calendars along with a mishmash of cheesecake photos, Alfred Newman's The Magic Islands LP and the cover from an old Trader Vics menu.

The other seating area (less tiki, but more comfy) is surrounded by another large black velvet painting and some mexican feathered bird paintings along with a shadowbox I made of a Kahiki dinner menu as well as one with various Chin Tiki items.

A shot of Pele's chair. I say that since Pele ominously stares down anyone who's looking at whoever is in the chair. A mishmash of Hawaiian items adorn the wall here.

You'll have to forgive the harshness of the pic...the lcd screen on my dslr died, so I was sort of winging these longer exposure shots and this one was overblown thanks to the lamp.

For our parties I have an hour of tropical storms/rainforest sounds looped that plays off an old smartphone and through an old set of speakers hidden behind the chair. I mixed in some volcanic eruption sounds into the clip to remind people in the chair that Pele is watching over them.

This panel has a few Matson menu covers stradling a carving a friend picked up from Maui as a wedding gift along with a smattering of Maori items and a small tribute to Heyerdahl and the Kon Tiki expedition.

Another shot of the bar towards the bathroom.

Some of the drinks served up in The Flora Lounge

and I did say I was a fan of Lovecraft, so from time to time, more horrific cocktail creations are summoned up

When you serve up tropical drinks, the tikiphiles seem to come out to play...

And finally...our gender reveal went smashingly well and the small hawaiian shirt might tip you off to the announcement. We are proud parents to a new little boy. He now just has to grow into the shirt.

Thanks for taking the time to look through the post. I know I definitely get a kick out of seeing the hardwork others put into their home bar creations and there are just a ton of inspirational and creative folks out there on the forums. I appreciate everyone's time, effort and passion and them taking the time to share. If there are any other tikiphiles in the Kansas City area who want to do an informal home bar crawl, I'd find that fascinating.

Mahalo
mokan-tiki

[ Edited by: mokan-tiki 2015-01-20 16:48 ]

[ Edited by: mokan-tiki 2015-01-24 16:31 ]

You have created a really fun place to be. I was getting tired just looking at all the work you have done. You are definitely passionate for the fine details of tiki. I hope you, your wife and new child (boy?), have a lot of happy experiences in your new home bar and lounge.

T

Congratulations on the baby boy (I assume), and the bar looks fantastic. Looks like you have a lot of space to work with, and all the details are top notch! Great photos and lighting too.

I especially like the idea of hiding the brackets for the shelving!

I like your collection of vintage Tiki stuff. All your menus and things of old skool Tiki establishments.Like the way you did the shadow boxes too if I'm correct. Great collection. Space is awesome!!!!!! :D

T

Great bar! Love the variety of memorabilia. the shadowboxes are outstanding.

Well done! Love the variety of paraphernalia and it's so nicely displayed! That would be a fun place to look around!

On 2015-01-20 10:54, Slacks Ferret wrote:
Well done! Love the variety of paraphernalia and it's so nicely displayed! That would be a fun place to look around!

Thanks Slacks Ferret!

Your Kanaloa Lounge is one of the home bars I allude to in my post as being inspirational and creative. Your blacklight mural, shipwreck fishtank, custom made tiles...all very cool and creative. A tip of the fez to you and your own home bar! If you are ever in the midwest, you are welcome to come and look all you want.

Very inspiring! About to start building my home tiki bar here in land-locked St. Louis, and it's really encouraging to see your hard work pay off. Put on some Robert Drasnin, mix up a zombie, and take it all in!

AK

Hey mokan-tiki-

Looking good! That's one hell of a post from a newbie! Great introduction to TC. Your bar space is outstanding. Very neat and clean and your displays are beautiful. I too, love all the shadow boxes as others have mentioned. I'd love to hang in your bar and take my time really checking everything out.

Welcome!

On 2015-01-20 18:50, LoriLovesTiki wrote:
Hey mokan-tiki-

Looking good! That's one hell of a post from a newbie! Great introduction to TC. Your bar space is outstanding. Very neat and clean and your displays are beautiful. I too, love all the shadow boxes as others have mentioned. I'd love to hang in your bar and take my time really checking everything out.

Welcome!

Thanks LoriLovesTiki,

I would say I'm a newbie to posting, but I have been visiting the TC forums for a very long time. Just never had the courage to pipe up and show off my own love of the tiki lifestyle/history/culture.

Thanks for all the compliments! It means a lot coming from such a great community of like-minded individuals. And its always fun hosting those who have a shared appreciation, if you are ever in the KC area, I'm happy to host.

On 2015-01-20 18:05, Anaki_kiapolo wrote:
Very inspiring! About to start building my home tiki bar here in land-locked St. Louis, and it's really encouraging to see your hard work pay off. Put on some Robert Drasnin, mix up a zombie, and take it all in!

AK

Thanks Aniki_kiapolo,

Great to hear that there are tikiphiles in my hometown! Been meaning to come in when the weather gets warmer and try out Taha'a Twisted Tiki...so land-locked as you may be, you all are one tiki venue up on KC. Would love to see your progress as you start your build! If you are ever on this side of the state, PM me. Always great to talk to folks who have a shared interest!

What a great home bar! I love the shadowboxes... That is such a fantastic way to display all that evocative memorabilia! It's not just a bar: it's practically a museum!

And don't be worried about the bathroom. Before I was married and my wife let me decorate our new kitchen, I had the Enchanted Tiki Bathroom too ^_^

On 2015-01-20 19:07, mokan-tiki wrote:

On 2015-01-20 18:05, Anaki_kiapolo wrote:

AK

Thanks Aniki_kiapolo,

Great to hear that there are tikiphiles in my hometown! Been meaning to come in when the weather gets warmer and try out Taha'a Twisted Tiki...so land-locked as you may be, you all are one tiki venue up on KC. Would love to see your progress as you start your build! If you are ever on this side of the state, PM me. Always great to talk to folks who have a shared interest!

It's a deal! Will post some pics as we move along in the process.

Taha'a is alright - I think your pad actually out-does it in terms of decor. Music could be a bit more exotica/surf, but their drink recipes are fairly authentic. Still - it is good to have a new tiki bar in town.

AK

On 2015-01-20 16:46, mokan-tiki wrote:

On 2015-01-20 10:54, Slacks Ferret wrote:

Thanks Slacks Ferret!

Your Kanaloa Lounge is one of the home bars I allude to in my post as being inspirational and creative. Your blacklight mural, shipwreck fishtank, custom made tiles...all very cool and creative. A tip of the fez to you and your own home bar! If you are ever in the midwest, you are welcome to come and look all you want.

Mahalo! And right back atcha!

Wow...very nice. I love your neat, organized style and attention to detail. Wonderful collection. Thanks for posting, it looks so fun there. I have a sister in Kansas City, MO...so if I ever get out that way, I will plead "dying of thirst" so I can take advantage of your cocktail skills. CHEERS

8T

Well mokan-tiki, nice to have you stop all of that lurking and reveal yourself. You have missed out on some of the local tiki fun by hiding. Anyway, now that you can't put the genie back in the bottle, we expect that you will stay active and that means getting to know some of the other locals. Would love to have you visit us here at "The Last Resort" - home of the 8Ft Tikis. The mild Winter we have had so far is putting me in the mood to do more with our yard and other projects that are in my head so this Summer should be great. PM us anytime and we can make some plans for later this year. Our best wishes to both of you on the birth of your son!! Mr. & Mrs 8FT tiki

Wow - this is like a "History of the Tiki Lounge and Exotica" exhibition! Kudos to your collecting AND displaying passion, putting all these ephemera to use to create an atmosphere of cultural context and hommage to the inspirators of the style.

Next you need to come out to California to Oceanic Arts and get some quality Tiki carvings in there!

I would totally understand though if your wife would feel like the little one takes precedence for a while! :wink:

On 2015-01-24 10:27, 8FT Tiki wrote:
Well mokan-tiki, nice to have you stop all of that lurking and reveal yourself. You have missed out on some of the local tiki fun by hiding. Anyway, now that you can't put the genie back in the bottle, we expect that you will stay active and that means getting to know some of the other locals. Would love to have you visit us here at "The Last Resort" - home of the 8Ft Tikis. The mild Winter we have had so far is putting me in the mood to do more with our yard and other projects that are in my head so this Summer should be great. PM us anytime and we can make some plans for later this year. Our best wishes to both of you on the birth of your son!! Mr. & Mrs 8FT tiki

Hello 8FT Tiki! You may be at a disadvantage because I feel like I already know you (and others such as Silverline) since I have followed your posts from the first Kona Kai tiki rescue post back in the day. And yes, the genie I guess is out of the bottle, but for the better. I would love to visit "The Last Resort" and witness that piece of KC tiki history in person, as well as your other saved items from the area. I do enjoy preserving whatever bits of history that I can, as you probably gathered from my shadowboxes, etc. It all just really fascinates me.

I may not have anything the size of your tikis at The Flora Lounge, but I came close today with a find from a fellow in Lexington, MO.

Not sure of its origins, and it looks more african/tribal than polynesian...but I am not going to scoff at that. There isn't really a great place to display it in the actual bar area, so I chose to hang it in the stairwell entrance. A quite imposing sight, albeit a little lacking with complementary items. I was thinking of maybe retrofitting a few tiki torches to accomodate some flickering electric bulbs to mount on either side of it. My wife is afraid its going to fall on my head and kill me, so she's lobbying for me to hang it on the wall at the bottom of the stairwell and just light it down there with some mood lighting. She may ultimately get her wish.

Anyways, I would definitely like to pull together some like-minded individuals from the area for some get-togethers at our home bars.

[ Edited by: mokan-tiki 2015-02-03 17:09 ]

On 2015-01-24 13:55, bigbrotiki wrote:
Wow - this is like a "History of the Tiki Lounge and Exotica" exhibition! Kudos to your collecting AND displaying passion, putting all these ephemera to use to create an atmosphere of cultural context and hommage to the inspirators of the style.

Next you need to come out to California to Oceanic Arts and get some quality Tiki carvings in there!

I would totally understand though if your wife would feel like the little one takes precedence for a while! :wink:

Thanks bigbrotiki for the kind words! I appreciate the fact that there are those out there who understand, and I dare say share, my obsessions with the history/culture behind some of these iconic places.

I almost had the chance to visit Oceanic Arts two years ago when my wife and I spent our first anniversary at Disneyland. It was a stones throw away from Whittier...but alas, we didn't think we could manage shipping on the things I would pick up, and I had already crammed my suitcase full with Disneyana. And the measles cases have us re-thinking a return trip anytime before our son would be fully immunized.

Awesome
Cheers
Enjoy....

Good stuff! Love the shadow boxes!

That mask is probably a Mexican import, but vintage. Just like you, many mid-century Americans used them in their home bars back in the heyday of Tiki. It lends itself for putting a red light bulb behind it to get he glowing red eyes, making it a moody welcome icon above the stairs.

TT

Ho. Lee. Cow!!!!!!

Mahalo for sharing.

Aloha

Really great home bar!

I like how you've grouped items together on the walls and in shadow boxes, it keeps them from looking cluttered, and getting lost amoung your collection.

Really nice stuff there!

I can only echo what others have said about all the great framed memorabilia and wonderful touches of detail throughout. You've created a lovely space there! Keep up the good work!

TB

This looks amazing! I'm part of the local KC Bartender Guild and I wonder if we a few of us could take you up on your offer for a visit.

Thanks for sharing

PP

love it! what a fun inviting space!!!

8T

Made my first trip to the Flora Lounge last night. The pictures here are nice but to visit in person is a real treat for the eyes, ears and taste buds. Mokan tiki has totally tikified his basement space and serves up some fine cocktails. If you are ever fortunate enough to receive an invitation to drop by the Flora Lounge in Kansas city, make plans to go. Corey, It was great to meet you and your tiki friends, Thanks for a nice evening, looking forward to the next gathering.
Your friend,
8FT

What a beautiful basement oasis! The love and hard work certainly shows. Thanks for posting. Happy to see more and more tikiphiles in the Kansas City area. Hubby and I have finally begun the long slow process of tiki-fying our new downstairs den and yours is at the level to which we aspire. Would love to see it in person someday. If you or any tiki peeps you know in the KC area want to organize a home bar crawl or a public meet-up for drinks, we would love to be involved.

Where can I find cool frames for Record Albums?

W

On 2016-08-21 18:35, TheParkCollector wrote:
Where can I find cool frames for Record Albums?

eBay has tons of them, for one

Pages: 1 30 replies