Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Bar Mauna Loa - Madrid - Spain, Madrid, Spain (bar)

Pages: 1 23 replies

Name:Bar Mauna Loa - Madrid - Spain
Type:bar
Street:Plaza de Santa Ana
City:Madrid
State:
Zip:N/A
Phone:Unknown

Description:
An amazingly popular Tiki bar situated in one of Madrid's main squares for nightlife. Avoid the weekends when the queue stretches down the street and visit on one of the quieter midweek nights.Very easy to find because of it's 'straw hut' exterior. You descend the stairs into a cave-like area which contains seating in a variety of alcoves. Cocktails are served (with tapas!) in a variety of exclusive mugs, quite different in style from the usual Spanish Tiki mugs. A particular favorite is the volcano bowl, which is more volcano shaped than bowl shaped. The decor within the Mauna Loa is not particularly Tiki, but it has an atmosphere all it's own.

Trader Woody

Yes, very popular place, which is a good thing, just not if you want to get in yourself! They do not sell mugs here, and boy did I try! But they will bring you little snacky foods that you think are gratis, but they show up on your bill. Just tell them no, gracias, when they try to set them down on your table if you don't want them. All get leis and the ladies get a flower. Fun seeing people walking down the street afterwards. It also helps you to know that you're on the right track when you're trying to find the place!

It's very close to Plaza de Sol, behind the Tio Pepe sign (which is used by everyone to orient places in the plaza). It's actually in Plaza Santa Ana, just a few streets northeast of the Tio Pepe sign.

My camera containing all my pics of the interior got stolen while out in Madrid (Be really careful about pickpockets there. Take a cheapo camera, have just a little money in your wallet etc). So, I was surprised when my wife got this old film developed last week and there was a photo of the bar from outside.

Trader Woody

M

Madrid's Mauna Loa is still going strong and should be a part of any Tiki-phile's visit to Madrid. The little place on Plaza St Ana is a must see for anyone, in my book. Great location, there's much to see and do in the surrounding area, and it's fun-filled drinking time in their tiny cave-like rooms. Mauna Loa is easy to find, just on the corner of the plaza by the big old white hotel, Victoria? Simply find the bamboo and green awning, you're there!

Step into the tiny doorway vestibule and to your right is the smallish upstairs bar. Live birds will welcome you to the dark, yet inviting space. Lots of glowing lights and glass, it's cool even if the outside temp is not 36 degrees!

Mauna Loa is a tropical paradise downstairs, you'll find many small nooks with tables, several seating areas, lots of flora and tropical fish. It can be cramped, but I do like the overall vibe. You'll get to know your neighbors, even if you don't wanna. Hey, it's Espana, go with it!

Order one, or more, of the named drinks on the menu, they will likely come in one of many authentic Spanish Tiki mugs. The drinks range from OK to the awful. I had the "Scorpion", which was fine, especially when one compares it to some of the other offerings. The "Diablo Apassianado" was also acceptable, if a bit sweet. The "Noches de Caribe" was liquid candy. The waiter said it was "dulce" and he was not shitting me. Too much dulce for this palate, it's a frothy sickly sweet libation. The same could be said for "Paradiso of Tahiti". My guess is the Spaniards, or their bartenders, prefer very sweet drinks. I do not. That's a problem.

Customers at Mauna Loa are given several bar bits on which to snack: chips, nuts, olives and a neato ham sandwich on white bread. Ya say what ya want of the cocktails, but that's a pretty cool sandwich! While the drinks are not the best, maybe even sub par to my taste, they are mixed with ample liquor. One is not gyped on the juice, so to speak.

The volcano drinks seem to be very popular with locals. I believe they can be ordered for 1-8 people! Aht's a big volcano...and it is. Drinks are roughly 6Euros per. No charge for the snacks, at least the first round. One ham on white is enough for this hombre.

We liked the Mauna Loa, if not for the drinks for the overall experience. It can get crowded and loud, be forewarned if you prefer that quieter environs of say a Trader Vic's. Again, it's Espana, go with it. The atmosphere is what I look for in a Tiki bar: dark, cramped, a little over the top, but great nonetheless. It's not a cocktail destination, they could be much better in my book, but I'd go back again and again to Mauna Loa.

It's Espana...Go! Tell them El Midnite-o sent you. They will give you a dirty look and mumble about el ladrón híbrido de la taza. Take it as a compliment, it's Espana!

Your traveling amigo,
midnite

A few weeks ago whilst visiting and old friend who now lives in Madrid. Tiki Central dater base became very useful and located this bar .. So thought I'd give the place a try .... Saturday night. Yes the queue for entry was round the block.. so i gave it a miss that night.
We returned on Sunday evening to find the place practically empty. That ment we could sample some drinks and take some pics ...
This place describes it self as a Hawaiian bar and it's not really that TIKI.. But it has a nice subterranean grotto feel. Drinks come in some Unique Mugs .. We shared a huge volcano shaped one , complete with dry ice eruption. My fiends shared A large Conk shell .. To be honest the drinks although different on the menu weren't so different in taste.. Loaded with pineapple.. But they seemed to last forever..
I needn't describe the place too much as the previous posters have done an admiral job..

So to sum up:
I liked it, If you 're ever in Madrid its worth a visit..

Here's some pics..

Oh , and yes , there definatly are Small birds flying around in the top bar.. :lol:

Cheers

Tark

According to a sign posted on the door, Moana Loa will be closed June 1 through July 2, 2008. The bartender told me it´s for renovations and staff vacation. If you´re planning on visiting Madrid at this time, head for Bora Bora instead. (The bar, not the island, though that would be cool too.)

I visited the last two nights and the folks I was with really enjoyed the time we spent.

• SV
Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Mar 19, 2009 12:09 PM

From this topic:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=31442&forum=11&start=0&85

On 2009-02-26 09:42, Zeta wrote:
Voodo Party

Made in Spain

On 2009-02-26 09:46, Zeta wrote:
Vintage coaster from a Polynesian Bar in Spain

I "guess" That is where they got "inspired" from for the cover of the record posted above.

Maybe those 3 "natives" actually performed at the Mauna Loa, and sold their record there?

On 2009-03-19 16:31, bigbrotiki wrote:
Maybe those 3 "natives" actually performed at the Mauna Loa, and sold their record there?

It would have been great Bigbro.
The original photo is one of the great works from Estudio Foto Ramblas.
This studio was located in Barcelona´s Barrio Chino.
Specialized in fotos picantes of bellas señoritas and exotic dancers

This sure proves that dictator Franco never visited Las Ramblas.

Wrestlers

And second rate cabaret acts, like those wild natives, here in a more civilized (cool nevertheless) attitude.

They maintained their cool style from 1956 to late 90s.
Great book about the subject (out of print, I´m afraid)

Oh, I want that book! Are there Spanish used book services like Bookfinder.com or Alibris.com?
I always felt that someone should make a book like that about Hamburg's redlight district of St. Pauli, with its countless cabarets and strip clubs, which all used to have photo showcases outside displaying their variety acts that performed inside.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=30866&forum=2

Without a doubt, there must have been a few local photo studios that specialized in shooting these. Dig up the photographers, and hopefully they will have kept the negatives, and -Voila- you have a great book! But you would have to have time and live there to do it....

On 2009-03-20 07:28, bigbrotiki wrote:
Oh, I want that book! Are there Spanish used book services like Bookfinder.com or Alibris.com?
I always felt that someone should make a book like that about Hamburg's redlight district of St. Pauli, with its countless cabarets and strip clubs, which all used to have photo showcases outside displaying their variety acts that performed inside.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=30866&forum=2

Without a doubt, there must have been a few local photo studios that specialized in shooting these. Dig up the photographers, and hopefully they will have kept the negatives, and -Voila- you have a great book! But you would have to have time and live there to do it....

This is exactly what they have done with this studio.
Check this.

http://www.iberlibro.com/servlet/SearchResults?sortby=3&sts=t&tn=foto+ramblas&x=47&y=14

There´s real cheap mint copy (its original price was 45 €)
If you need some help, just let me know.

And here's a not-so-vintage coaster from about 10 years ago.

Trader Woody

On 2009-12-19 09:30, Trader Woody wrote:
And here's a not-so-vintage coaster from about 10 years ago.

Trader Woody

Still using that one.
An older and different design

[ Edited by: Mister Naufrago 2009-12-30 03:26 ]

OK...I have always wondered (as I am sure many folks here have !) WHY, oh why is the Madrid Mauna Loa logo a volcano with a bearded Asian man's face..!?

Don't the Spaniards know the deity of volcanos was female !? :D

Is this perhaps a hint at the Chinese origin of the Spanish Tiki tradition? I am curious to hear theories about this baffling mystery. Mr N.? Senor Z.?

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Dec 22, 2009 11:58 PM

Oh Herr Bbt!
It took me years to discover such misterios! Maybe you are not ready to receive such a powerful revelation!
It breaks our hearts when some foreigners from the North assume we Iberians neglect our Tiki temples and forget about our glorious past, but they are mistaken. Some of them even lie about the origins of our rich pagan culture... :cry:

"Unfortunately does the Tiki community in Spain absolutely ignore their own tiki culture and will probably wake up, when its to late!" -Someone from the North

It all started at the House Of Ming, the first Euro-Hawaiian Tiki Bar EVER... But it's a long and amazing story that I cannot cover here... Maybe I could sell it to Tiki Magazine.:D

On 2009-12-22 23:58, Zeta wrote:

"Unfortunately does the Tiki community in Spain absolutely ignore their own tiki culture and will probably wake up, when its to late!" -Someone from the North

Then I´m supposed not to do this every time I use a vintage mug? :oops:

Why didn´t they tell us before? :cry:

Back to Mauna Loa...

On 2009-12-22 16:42, bigbrotiki wrote:
OK...I have always wondered (as I am sure many folks here have !) WHY, oh why is the Madrid Mauna Loa logo a volcano with a bearded Asian man's face..!?

Is this perhaps a hint at the Chinese origin of the Spanish Tiki tradition? I am curious to hear theories about this baffling mystery. Mr N.? Senor Z.?

In my opinion Mauna Loa just followed the First Law of Successful Tiki Bar Management:
“You don´t need to know a shit about Polynesian cultures, but you can´t do it without a cool logo”.
A Universal Law.

On 2009-12-22 17:00, bigbrotiki wrote:

Judging by the type face, this is a "late" Tiki joint, maybe 70s, or even 80s. A great name, but why? Was it lit with black light? Or was it that rare specimen, an African American Tiki Bar? And WHY did they choose an Indian totem pole as their logo Tiki?

[ Edited by: Mister Naufrago 2009-12-30 11:10 ]

Mister N., it must be the pain of your tragic loss documented above which inflamed such general judgement on our beloved pop culture!
One certainly had to know a little more than just sh#% , take for example (since you referred to it here) Blackie Auger's deep wisdom: "You eat beef or you don't eat nothing."

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Dec 30, 2009 4:57 PM

The Mauna Loa Madrid China man volcano logo HAS a story behind it and it's not there just because. Actually, It was custom made exclusively for them, just like many other mugs where unique to other bars...
From a 1978 newspaper bar review:

Translation needed

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Dec 30, 2009 4:59 PM

Another different vintage coaster

On 2009-12-30 16:57, Zeta wrote:
The Mauna Loa Madrid China man volcano logo HAS a story behind it and it's not there just because. Actually, It was custom made exclusively for them, just like many other mugs where unique to other bars...
From a 1978 newspaper bar review:

Translation needed

Geographical ignorance and coolness are not incompatible.
There are also stories behind all of the great wrong named Bares Hawaianos like Mabuhay , Malibu or Manaos. Laughable stories in most cases.
If your Mauna Loa logo story is different I´ll eat my vintage coaster.
Lo prometo. :)

From that 1978 press ad: “Cover charge 4 €”.
Not “€” in 1978. Spain wasn´t even a EEC member those days.
It seems they neither care much about historical rigor. :)

[ Edited by: Mister Naufrago 2009-12-31 03:13 ]

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Jan 19, 2010 3:07 PM
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.