Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

The Tiki Table Lamp Thread

Pages: 1 2 80 replies

(Re posting this from the Tonga Room thread)

San Francisco's Tonga Room, my family & I in 1970
checkout the classic table lamps they used for many years.

Lance, Wot a great pic. Mahalo for sharing.
Btw, you were a good looking kid! Wtf happened?
Your friend and mine,
David

Life happened David, just life. :D

Here is the Triple Maori table lamp that is shown at Oceanic Arts catalog and in store collection.

I spotted this photo of a similar lamp in situ at the Palms in the Jungle restaurant in Anaheim. Can't remember seeing this one anywhere else. Looks a little like the Kona Kai signature Tiki.

DC

Lance- great photo
Dusty- great inVestiGatin

T

DC! Great shots and great detective work. It's one thing to see these lamps in a case but there is something really cool to imagine a time and era where it was just part of the general decor. A fun night out at a cool fun place. And your pictures definitely capture that!

Triple Hawaiian war God

T

Amazing!!! Thx for sharing

On 2016-04-01 11:50, Bail Tekey wrote:
Triple Hawaiian war God

Anyone seen this before?

That's Pania of the Reef, based on the famous statue on the waterfront in Napier, New Zealand.

See the following Tiki Central link from 2006:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=18638&forum=5

The lamp stand version turns up in New Zealand from time to time and is very collectible.

Thanks
Love TC

8T

Picked this up from the estate sale of an elderly neighbor. It is electrified so I don't know if it is from a restaurant/bar but who knows?

Coconut base with tapa cloth shade. I like how the maker carved into the coconut to show the inside and outside. Measures 15 1/2" tall. Older cord plug and light switch so it definitely has some age to it.

Very cool coconut carving concept, indeed!

This thread sure deserves to be on the Cool and Current list. Thank you guys for a super view and read. Wendy

Here is one I have- never seen. Some kind of Maori style ceramic lamp-

Looks more like Haida or other North-American Indian ?

On 2016-09-05 15:44, bigbrotiki wrote:
Looks more like Haida or other North-American Indian ?

Not sure either, but the Rapa Nui Birdmen on either side of the "Tiki" led me to believe it was some sort of Polynesian likeness?

Thanks,

PTD

With the way American designers took their liberties with Tiki style, it is not impossible that one decided to mix mainland and island primitive art :)

I got one of the Johnny Quong's table lamps today:

Buzzy Out!

T

On 2016-10-14 20:24, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
I got one of the Johnny Quong's table lamps today:

Buzzy Out!

What a find!!! Congrats.

[ Edited by: Tattoo 2016-10-17 10:59 ]

8T

On 2015-04-23 12:38, Tattoo wrote:
And of most interest is this lamp in the corner which is the same lamp as 8'Tiki has.

Courtesy of the Oceanic Arts Archives

Below it is a little sign that states the lamp is from Johnny Quong’s in Salt Lake City. How cool is that! Hopefully someone can dig up a picture form Johnny Quong’s with that lamp in it.

Johhny Quong's Tiki Table lamp from the collection of 8' Tiki

Hey Tattoo, This new find by Buzzy seems to resemble the Johnny Quong example from the OA collection more closely than the one I have. Compare the photos here and you will see differences such as the color of the wood, height of the base, width of the head, placement of the hands, the bridge of the nose is way different, pointed chin and other carving details. Which only adds to the mystery of their origins. These variations could be due to the fact that they are carved not molded or that they are from different production batches where wood supplies and carving methods changed. Were these hand carved or machine carved? I like the idea that my lamp was used at J.Q.'s but perhaps it was from another restaurant that used the same style lamp.

[ Edited by: 8FT Tiki 2016-11-06 14:19 ]

U

Saw this lamp today and was wondering if anyone is familiar with it. The base of the lamp is a large ceramic Kundu drum in the style of Papua New Guinea. The overall height of the lamp including the shade (which I believe to be original) is about 4 feet. There are no markings to identify it.

Thanks for your comments.

T
Tattoo posted on Sat, Nov 5, 2016 9:21 PM

Coooooooool lamp. No idea about it's history.

Found these from the Mauna Loa last fall at an estate sale. I've had one without a shade for years, but these are in perfect shape

-Z

Killer Mauna Loa lamps!!

Great page

I scored two of the Orchids Kon Tiki lamps with the rope shades. Just need to order some the the glass chimneys' Anybody know of a good place to find these?

DC

H
Hamo posted on Thu, Apr 18, 2019 8:49 PM

On 2019-04-18 15:11, Dustycajun wrote:
I scored two of the Orchids Kon Tiki lamps with the rope shades. Just need to order some the the glass chimneys' Anybody know of a good place to find these?

You might try Lehman’s: https://www.lehmans.com/category/chimneys-globes

Congrats. Those look great.

T

Hey Scott, great find!!
The shades are really cool and usually missing so that's awesome. You should be able to pick up the chimneys at your local thrift stores. I see them all the time and pretty cheap too.
Although, that site listed above is a good price, I'm not sure how the shipping would be.

You love the hunt, and who knows what else your eagle eyes will find.

Take care.
Dan

Thanks for the info guys. After a little more research, it looks like Amazon is the place for the chimney replacements, about $7 with with free shipping.

Here is another of the OA triple Hawaiian war god lamps I spotted on ebay. It has a cool wood base - had not seen one like that before.

DC

T

Just lugged this (heavy) beauty back from Hawaii. Got it at an antique store.
The stone Marquesan is about 16 inches tall.
Made the lampshade from fabric I got on the Big Island too.
Now a favorite at the Lanai Vancouver.

Damn that’s a beauty. Congrats

Pages: 1 2 80 replies