Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

summer art swap: the enchanted tiki room!!!! Ends August 1st

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 427 replies

S

T

Moving right along... (Updated to include new progress)

[ Edited by: tikitonyd 2015-07-07 15:34 ]

T

Updated pic above... and yep, there are hidden Mickeys in the piece. (for the Disney fans)

[ Edited by: tikitonyd 2015-07-07 15:35 ]

SewTiki - looks great!
tikitonyd - hidden Mickies as in plural? I looked real hard and I think I see one :lol:

Z

The whip fans are coming alive!

~Zero

[ Edited by: ZeroTiki 2015-07-07 22:52 ]

Zero, the two guys on the sides look like they're drooling! :lol:

TikiT- lookin good (I see one too) :)
Zero- awesome. But now in want dole whip :)

S

C
cy posted on Wed, Jul 8, 2015 9:33 AM

Looks superb SewT, great progress Zero, and happy you jumped on board with such cool work tikitonyd!

Thanks for the kind words, Cy... btw, loving your dimensional screenprint piece. I drooled a little.

Gonna be a couple of days before I can work on this again... so a progress shot. Still have to finish more shading and detail, the sign and the parrot.

First off my condolences to MadDogMike's poor melted tiki. Did it come off the shelf? That's about the only error I've not done.

Cheers to the rest of the artists on this page. What an outstanding bunch of tiki art of all kinds. I'm sure happy to be in this swap.

Wendy

R

Aloha,
Posting a post-firing shot of the ETR chalice...Made some modifications with enamel paint (baked on) to correct several of the flaws in how it came out. Not quite as good as I had hoped...but I am still learning the glazing. Going to be a while before I can hang with everyone else in that respect.

And hang10...yeah, I know...send to Vegas.

:)

Looks great Bruddah

S

Looks pretty good to me RVICTOR.

S

Cy: thank you!
TikiTonyd: great work!
Wendy: :)
RVic: Awesome mug!

S

S

This is getting wild!

It sure is!!!!!

Holy WOW!! I look forward to the day I get myself involved in this awesomenessness again!!

HOLY SMOKES! Lookit all of this amazingness!! Lots of beautiful pieces in this swap!

Oh, I almost forgot...progress:

I'm all done with my mug and ready to ship it to its new hom

The inspiration for the mug is the tiki on the left.

When it was out of the kiln I decided that it needed black in the drum slit for I enameled it and baked it.

All done.

Cheers, Wendy

PS SewTiki and ZeroTiki those are wonderful works. I'm so happy to be in this swap.

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2015-07-11 14:46 ]

Z

YAY! Beautiful work, Wendy!

S

ZeroTiki: Looking good!
Wendy: Awesome mug!

Great job Wendy & SewTiki!

If I don't get moving I'll be watching this swap from the sidelines!

SewTiki- looks even better in person my dear.
Zero- awesome bro
Wendy- u nailed it (send to Vegas) :)

Lori- get going, we can't wait to see what you do

WOW! Everything is looking GREAT!!! About 3 weeks to go, time for me to "git jiggy wit it"! I made a new test tile, need to be sure my kiln still fires OK after the meltdown. Wendy, the kiln shelf was ruined but it was broken in half anyway so no big loss. I'm just glad it melted there instead of on the bottom of my kiln :D

MadDogMike good to have saved the kiln floor all right. We will all enjoy watching your next swap project as you go to work.

TU good job this Swap is rockin. Wendy

Finally got to put some more time in... need finish bird, add more detail and decide on the final layout and design for the ETR sign. Still very much a work in progress.

[ Edited by: tikitonyd 2015-07-13 09:20 ]

And I hope my style isn't too "Party City" for this swap... I just lean toward a traditional animation feel in my illustration.

Nice! Ya gotta have the "E" ticket, or you can't ride, bra!
Oh, and even MORE progress:

Home stretch!

Well... I may have some color palette tweaks, but I believe the only thing left to do is figure out how I wanna frame it....

TikiTony and Zero- lookin great......

C
cy posted on Mon, Jul 13, 2015 3:59 PM

Excellent work Sew, Wendy, Zero, Tony!!

Looks AWESOME Tony!!!

Well, I went to fire my test tile after the meltdown and found out I fried my kiln :(
So I tore it apart, re-wired it, and got my test tile fired :)
But it still won't turn itself off like it should, another meltdown is a real possibilty :(
So I looked on Craiglist and found a new little kiln with electronic controlled kiln for a great price :D
But I sent her an email this morning and she hasn't replied :(

The saga will continue... :lol:

Mike- hope it works out
Fingers crossed

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2015-07-15 00:22 ]

No luck Jon, kiln already sold.
But it's just the manual controller on mine that's jacked. Looks like I can build an automated electronic controller for under $200, I may just do that. Or I can use it like it is for FREE, just have to be careful :lol:

Great Art guys.
Sorry MadDogMike, we need you to make your wonderful art so you need a kiln.

2 weeks to go. Wendy

On Friday I determined that I was not going to be able to complete my original idea in time. This is the last weekend I have available until mid August. Yesterday I made two frames for 8 X 10 canvas boards.

I'm going to glue two of the earlier black velvet pastels I made to the canvas panels.

When the other art piece is dry I'll frame it and post it later. Those two will be my swap pieces.

This is as far as I got with the original project, which is 11" X 14". I'll complete it later in August and post the progress pictures on my Home Tiki Bar thread.

I also picked up a timer for grow lights that has 50 second on and off cycles. When the black light project is done I'll set the cycle so the black light goes on for 100 seconds and then off for for 200 seconds. It will be like having my own magic window like Trader Sams.

You are sweet Wendy :) My kiln is still up and running, I have fired it 3 times in the last 3 days. My test tile worked out well and I glazed the inside of the slit gong bottle yesterday. Figured out a way to add a bit of color and still stay somewhat true to the original. Should finish firing in the next few days.

MaukaHale, the frames are great and that black velvet pastel looks awesome framed. There's no shame in not finishing an ambitious project, life happens - glad you've got a back-up plan.

MaukaHale.... That looks sweet!

Mauka- looks sweet

C
cy posted on Mon, Jul 20, 2015 10:54 AM

Nice Mauka!

MaukaHale Terrific. I really like black velvet paintings.

MadDogMike I also really like good news. Terrific.

What a very Terrific swap, Wendy

Z

You guys 'n' gals are bringing the bestest to the table! Yay!
Alrighty, time for me to wrap up the main piece, and start working on the always popular secret toy surprises in the package!

~Zero

R

TikitonyD,
I liked your picture so much I started thinking about how to mat it...some of my favorite colors for matting (if you were planning on doing it that way)...

Thick black matting looks great...

Brown looks pretty good too...

My personal favorite was the brown outer mat with a black inner mat

Or for added punch...

I'm sure you have your own ideas but I think there is allot of colors to work with in your picture you can use to tie in. Can't wait to see how you frame it.

There's a great frame shop here locally... I was planning on looking at some mats later this week. I've been kicking some options around in my head. Thanks for doing some additional leg work for me. I'm kinda digging that yellow on black for the pop.

[ Edited by: tikitonyd 2015-07-20 18:32 ]

Here's a progress report. I count 14 Swappers. Am I missing anyone?

Tikitonyd – finished

ZeroTiki

MaukaHale -finished

danlovestikis – finished

SewTiki - finished

RVICTOR - finished

hang10tiki - finished

cy - finished

MadDogMike - finished

anthonymaye - finished

JoshuaBell - finished

ErichTroudt - finished