Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Royal Hawaiian, Laguna Beach, CA (restaurant)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 230 replies

Here's some more of what I've been doing down at the Royal!

Awning looking towards the bar during the Bartender meeting this morning.
They're implementing a NEW Tiki Cocktail Program!

Custom 7'6" Bamboo Ben Tapa Outrigger Lamp

Before simple

After simple

The lobby is almost complete. Pics of that soon.......

ALOHA!

Went by Last night. Bosco has some awesome new pieces on display. Wish I had my camera with me. Hasty has a serious tiki palace going at the R. H.
Cheers

Dropped in last night and had a chance to sample the new cocktail menu. Jason from 320 Main appears to have done a very nice job in updating the program. A lot more classics are on the menu now, some with tasty new twists. His take on the Mai Tai is essentially a 1944 with an over-proof Demarara in the mix and a touch of pineapple juice (The joint is the "Royal Hawaiian" after all...) It's very full-flavored but still nicely balanced. A bit pricey at $13 but I have seen far worse cost-for-quality ratios. I didn't get a chance to sample the updated Lapu Lapu but I will assume that it is an improvement over the previous blend. (Kind of a bold gamble to update their signature drink and I give them points for their chutzpah.)

All of Bamboo Ben's recent work is really simply stellar, and while I still can't say that the place is "fully tiki," they seem to be wholeheartedly putting an honest effort into being a perfectly decent "tiki-esque" destination. (They were even playing some choice exotica in the bar area before the live-music started.)

I recommend folks who were previously put off to give them another chance if they happen to be in the area and have some decent cash to spend.

[ Edited by: CosmoReverb 2017-06-30 16:41 ]

If you cannot make it to the Royal Hawaiian you can buy their mugs and swizzle sticks online. http://www.royalhawaiianlb.com/store/c2/Mugs_%26_Swizzles.html

Thank God Bamboo Ben brought it back to life.
Thank you Ben!
Looking forward to going back.

On 2018-12-27 12:54, Unga Bunga wrote:
Thank God Bamboo Ben brought it back to life.
Thank you Ben!
Looking forward to going back.

I did it for you Unga! ??

Bamboo Ben
Tiki Bars I've designed/built. Zombie Village SF, TikiCat, Royal Hawaiian, Kona Club, Frankie's Tiki Room, Pacific Seas, Don the Beachcomber,Forbidden Island, Kon Tiki Tucson, Ti

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2018-12-30 16:25 ]

With only a 12 month lease the future looks in jeopardy.

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Jan 28, 2019 10:18 PM

Well, when I saw something about it closing on another thread, I was worried because I was planning to stop there in April. Looks like there's still a chance for a visit, and hopefully it lasts for a lot longer, but that one paragraph about the 12 month lease is pretty vague.

Ben, I hope the "minor changes" don't affect your great work.

A

Wow, I seriously considered driving up from San Diego last weekend to go there. Sure glad I didn't.

Huh. Honarkar spent so much money, effort and time restoring the Royal Hawaiian that I was shocked when I heard the rumor it was shutting down/changing owners. Leasing to Molteni seems to make sense, an upgrade of the dinner menu. But damn, that 12 month lease and talk of redevelopment is certainly worrisome. I think we're all justified in fearing the worst--it's happened so many times!

At this time, their Instagram account says that they have hired a 'local interior decorator' to redesign the Royal Hawaiian. After all of Ben's great work, they believe that they know what a tiki restaurant is supposed to look like. They also wrote that they removed all of the 'tiki grass' citing "Too hard to clean." I wonder what they would have thought about the Bahooka... or Sams Seafood/ Dons... or any number of other beautifully cluttered tiki places.

I hate, in the case with tiki bars/ restaurants, when people who have no clue of what they have acquired, think that they know best about what to do with the decor. We've seen that with The Royal Hawaiian a few times in the past, as well as with Sam's Seafood as it transitioned to Kona... Ugh.

T

I'm getting a bit tired of the new "tiki bars" that have just enough tiki to have very expensive tiki drinks.

They just are not that good from the start and people trip all over themselves to say how great they are.

I don't know if just telling the truth at the start would be the best plan.

It's too bad they are going to untiki yet another place like the Royal Hawaiian that was done right.

K

On 2019-02-15 15:57, Luckydesigns wrote:
They also wrote that they removed all of the 'tiki grass' citing "Too hard to clean."

That was a big shocker to me as well, and I probably scoffed aloud when I read it. It honestly can't be that hard to clean if you're using a vacuum with a hose/brush attachment. I'm doing my very best to reserve judgement until the unveiling but whoever is handling social media is making it very difficult. I'm sure we've all read numerous contradicting statements ranging from "the tiki isn't going away" to "the drinks will be better than ever" and "we're going to honor the past." I know for a fact that the drinks vastly improved from their initial reopening due to the trio responsible for making it happen.

Because of the distance, I never got to enjoy the actual dining room (bar only) but it was a wonder to look at. If I had to critique anything it would be the bar area which for my tastes was too bright and Island's Fine Burgers-esque. RH makes it seem as if they're going to really dive into the past, and yet there's not much to support it.

A

Website currently says "We are opening the first week in April."

H
Hamo posted on Sun, Mar 10, 2019 4:58 PM

Well, I'll be in California starting the second week of April, and I was hoping to visit on Sunday the 7th, but I'm not holding my breath, since the original reopening was announced as the end of February.

I wonder if the delay is due to "de-tikifying"....

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Mar 12, 2019 7:34 PM

Well, the website says grand opening is “Tuesday, April 3” (except that day and date don’t match), and they’re accepting only online reservations through the 10th. And looks like the earliest they’re open is 4 PM, which might not work with my schedule that Sunday.

Apologies in advance, this is longer than I expected but I wanted to give my insights since a lot of folks, including myself, want to know about the changes.
I had dinner at the “new” Royal Hawaiian on 5/18. I had been to RH a bunch of times since it re-opened in late 2016 and was rather dismayed when I read the restaurant ownership was changing a few months ago and pretty pessimistic what it would bring, particularly in regard to the tiki decor and atmosphere. Overall, what I found was a disappointment, but not in the way I expected. It was surprisingly far worse.

I loved what the Honakars had Bamboo Ben do with the RH to cover all the white walls after they re-opened in late 2016. The thatch and Lahala matting, some extra tiki’s, etc. The RH I liked had a large window display case of tiki mugs, many of which represented locations in SoCal, as well as all the mugs the RH sold. The interiors had a fun, escapist throwback atmosphere that was engaging and matched the high caliber tropical cocktail program the restaurant aimed for (drink quality was always hit or miss for me personally, but the selection was very respectable, as were their efforts.)

The decor now: blue painted walls, much more open ceilings and dining areas,and actually a fair number of tikis and Polynesian/polypop art, including a lot from Bosko, OA, Smokin Tikis, as well as pieces of lower quality Indonesian “tikis with fangs”. Yes, there’s a highly palpable difference in aesthetic, but there’s still a heck of a lot more actual Tiki here than there are in some new bars opening around the country that call themselves “Tiki”. But, Don the Beachcomber this is certainly not trying to be.

The place feels like it’s trying hard to be a part of the high-end OC dining scene with $30-$50 entrees, but still find some Polynesian aesthetic, but make sure a common denominator, older bourgeois demographic is comfortable there. And it certainly accomplished those things. Before going, I really expected to be put off by the change in decor, but, I found it to be calm and chill and couldn’t believe I actually liked some of what they did (I would prefer it unchanged, but since they were determined NOT to leave it alone, that wasn’t an option.) one exception: the huge TVs now in the bar area and the re-lining of the ceiling in the bar area with a bunch of circular ratan things that look kind of like fans(??). Why??

So, I was kind of shocked by the time our waiter took our drink orders that I wasn’t completely revolted by the interior decor changes. I didn’t hate it. Which was good, in retrospect, because it prevented my bias from blinding me to the food and drink, which is where the wheels fell off this bus to paradise.

I’ll spare the food review, except to say the portions aren’t big enough for what they charge, nor is there anything particularly innovative on the menu, unless you’re still impressed by heirloom veggies or edible flower petals garnishing your mashed potatoes. I had the lobster tail and my wife had the seared ahi. Flavors were uninspired and nothing different than I’d expect at any other vanilla “American coastal cuisine” restaurant where an older, affluent demographic that doesn’t stray too far from meat/fish and potatoes and doesn’t have a clue about craft cocktails and localization of cuisine are happy to eat in relative comfort.

That’s not meant to be a denigration of that restaurant demographic, either. That’s a heavy portion of the diners that Orange County RELIES on to support their establishments and help make their incredibly high rents, especially at the beach cities. It’s just a damn shame that kind of place took over the Royal Hawaiian. But let’s get to what we all really go for: The Drinks.

Royal Hawaiian 2016-Jan 2019 had a pretty decent tropical cocktail menu that featured some classics: navy grog, painkiller, REAL mai tais, swizzles, their “famous” Lapu Lapu, and others. And if you ordered off menu they tried their best to accommodate, to varied success. But damnit, they tried. The cocktail menu has now been reduced to about 5-6 drinks: Royal Hawaiian Lapu Lapu, Royal Hawaiian Mai Tai, Pulu Killer, a Blue Hawaiian, and a couple drinks with tequila and vodka that had a vaguely tropical feel to their descriptions.
The last entry in the drink menu is “Dealer’s Choice”, which the menu says is bartender’s pick, but if you “roll the dice”, you may get lucky and they’ll light something on fire- could be neat!? This drink selection would be scant but acceptable if ANY of the drinks were actually drinkable.

My wife loves a Three Dots and the waiter said he’d ask the bartender if they could make it. If not, she’d see what came out of a Dealer’s Choice. The Pulu Killer’s combination of orange, pineapple, Hamilton Navy strength, and another rum intrigued me, so I swerved from the Lapu to try that first.

Our waiter returned a short while later to inform us the bartender said “they didn’t have the ingredients” to make a three dots, so the barkeep was making the Dealer’s Choice. Ok. Fingers crossed for fire!

When he returned, he placed a high ball down in front of my wife with a cloudy translucent drink engulfing a thick square of ice. Oh and there was a small sage leaf garnish in it. We’re always up for something adventurous and interesting flavors. This was not at all looking like a tropical libation. Even the color was mysteriously...dare I say, uninteresting. “What had they made?!” we wondered suspiciously.

Well, we’ll never actually know. My wife sipped it. Sipped it again. Then passed it to me. What they hell was it? We asked the waiter but he said the bartender doesn’t tell them. They never do. O.K...

My best guess is vodka with lychee. I guess they figured if it went into a martini glass it might be too “commonplace”?? But my wife LIKES lychee and she still didn’t want to drink this. So, we sent it back and asked for their signature mai tai. My Pulu Killer? Nice color, but I couldn’t taste the rum. See the bottom right side of the pic below with me smiling, not from the drinks, but because it was Date Night!

Dealer’s Choice - don’t bother

Pulu Killer

So, then my wife ordered the mai tai. Full-on island style mai tai and really not well balanced. My wife tried but couldn’t get halfway through it. At this point we decided to stick to the bottles carbonated water and just get our drinks after dinner elsewhere. Needless to say, we skipped dessert, too.

It’s disappointing that the new RH owners apparently have zero interest in continuing to be a place that could tout its tropical drinks and maintain the RH legacy.

Had the drinks been good, I’d at least return periodically for dinner and stomach the overpriced, uninspired menu. As it is, I have doubts this place will be open a year from now.

I’ll leave ya swinging with a handful of photos.

Cheers!
:drink:

[ Edited by: finky099 2019-05-22 23:52 ]

[ Edited by: finky099 2019-05-22 23:53 ]

[ Edited by: finky099 2019-05-22 23:54 ]

[ Edited by: finky099 2019-05-22 23:55 ]

H
Hamo posted on Thu, May 23, 2019 6:25 AM

Thanks for the update, finky. Sorry to hear that it’s a general disappointment.

That is a very informative update. And, as you noted, so very disappointing.

K

Glad you went instead of me, Fink! I already am itching to let my words fly despite being a hypocrite and not going in person. The new owners/chefs have been horribly contradicting with what they were doing. "Going back to its roots" my ass. Just come forward and say you want to make a good impression w/the food so in time you can open your own Argentinian fire grill which I'm sure will be a knockout, but don't carry on the RH for namesake only and not give the experience justice. I see bottles of wine promoted on social media. Swing and a miss.

F

Haha, Keith, I’d love to hear your full thoughts! You’ve seen enough that I don’t think it’d be hypocritical even without you being there in person.

It really is a shame the current establishment can’t uphold the drinks, at the very least. In this age where “craft cocktails” are trendy, there’s not really a good excuse. I guess it’s just not something the demographic this owner is targeting cares about. But it’s certainly a missed opportunity. Despite a mismatched value for the food and the “tamed” atmosphere, I’d still go back if the drinks were acceptable. At least get the friggin Mai Tai right!!

[ Edited by: finky099 2019-05-24 16:03 ]

Update!

I had/have nothing to do with the new Royal Hawaiian, decor , etc.

The new guy did it himself.

p.s. The thatch on the ceiling was for noise control and looks. I haven't been back

since the takeover. How's the noise?

A

Does anyone know if they still offer mugs?

K
kkocka posted on Mon, Jul 8, 2019 4:03 PM

I know they had some mugs around their relaunch but I don't follow their social media anymore and wouldn't be surprised if they no longer stock them. Worth a shot though (I guess you could always call too). They're more interested in promoting discounted wines etc.

EDIT: Was going through their facebook page to try to help you out, and apparently I've been mostly blocked. :lol: I can see content, but no Liking the page (no worries), certainly no commenting. Fair enough.

Follow me on Instagram
http://www.instagram.com/keithkocka

[ Edited by: kkocka 2019-07-08 16:17 ]

A

On 2019-07-08 16:03, kkocka wrote:
I know they had some mugs around their relaunch but I don't follow their social media anymore and wouldn't be surprised if they no longer stock them. Worth a shot though (I guess you could always call too). They're more interested in promoting discounted wines etc.

EDIT: Was going through their facebook page to try to help you out, and apparently I've been mostly blocked. :lol: I can see content, but no Liking the page (no worries), certainly no commenting. Fair enough.

[ Edited by: kkocka 2019-07-08 16:17 ]

Wow. Well, thanks for trying! I'll definitely call before I make a trip there.

K

I'll definitely call before I make a trip there.

Honestly, save your gas and money, or just keep driving North and go to 320 Main instead. They'll make a legit lapu lapu. I'm sure the food is fine enough at the new Royal Argentinian, but your overall experience is sure to be a disappointment.

F

Arriano, there were no mugs for sale when I was there before; that was a while ago now but it didn’t seem like that was going to be something they were going to offer.
I agree with Keith: go to 320 Main or somewhere else. The atmosphere ain’t worth a long drive and the drinks will be better elsewhere.

A

Thanks all! Good to know.

Thanks for such an in-depth review. With so many tiki groups popping up on Facebook, it’s nice to know that we can still come here for good uncluttered info.

And that’s about what I expected out of the new RH. Lame.

Went for the soft opening on June 3 and after the multiple hiccups at this place in the last few years I expected the worst. I have to admit though, this team seems to be on the right track. Decor is gorgeous (shot of the outstanding dining area lantern game below), drinks are excellent, food was a bit hit or miss, but fine for a soft open. Service struggled just a bit, but again: soft open.

IMG_5363

Had a lapu lapu (shown below; as good as ever), and a mai tai (excellent).

IMG_5360

The souvenir glass is quite nice, shown here holding a Sunday evening mai tai by yours truly.

IMG_5389

Anyway, definitely worth checking out if you’ve been disappointed with the direction in the last few years. Seems like they are listening.

A

I've seen a lot of photos on Facebook from the re-opening and I like these from HotelCharlie as well. Going out of town next week, but me and the Mrs. have lunch reservations for June 24 and looking forward to it.

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Jun 13, 2023 8:17 PM

Glad to see that the most recent reincarnation looks more "tiki authentic" and closer to its own history than the previous Brazilian steakhouse version....

A

This place is great. I didn't see it in its last incarnation, but food and drinks were great, decor fantastic. Parking is a nightmare on a sunny day, but the walk will do you good. :)

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Jul 11, 2023 8:55 PM

Adrian posted a video earlier today with a little walk through starting about 4:45. Looks pretty good.

The ROYAL HAWAIIAN Laguna Beach, Friends & Family Preview! Old Tony's and Billy's at the Beach!
https://youtu.be/UwZgGoQ5mR4

S

Just wanted to add my two bits. I had dinner there last weekend and yeah, everything was fantastic. I was in tiki heaven. Parking can be dodgy if you're not staying in one of the local hotels, but if you find a space anywhere in town, there's a free shuttle that can get you just about anyplace you need to be... and back. Handy if you've been exploring the drink menu. Can't say enough good stuff about this place!

H
Hamo posted on Sat, Aug 12, 2023 2:51 PM

Hey MadDogMike, did you take any pictures during your recent visit that you can add to this thread?

Hamo we didn't take many pics. I took the pic of the sawfish because I wanted to make one to display at my place LOL

Visited the recently remodeled Royal Hawaiian at Laguna Beach tonight, had a wonderful evening. The decor was amazing, Notch Gonzalez knocked it out of the park. Lots of carvings and thatch. A million jade tiles, but I missed Matt Reese's Trophy Skulls in the back I guess :( The food and drinks were all well prepared and wonderfiully presented. We had a Mai Tai, Chief Lapu Lapu, Triple Happiness, Salmon, Huli Huli Chicken, and Pineapple Upside Down Cake. The bartender gave me the specs for their Lapu Lapu but it was petty loud and I was pretty schnockered. Here's what I heard -
2 oz Rivers Rum
2 oz White Rum
1 oz Passion fruit (puree vs syrup?)
3 oz Orange Juice
2 oz Lemon Juice
PLUS a float of dark rum
5 or so oz of rum, NO WONDER I WAS SCHNOCKERED! LOL

363018236_10232357505062305_7413582814154042379_n365472717_3656018931309870_4407219804641434790_n366189995_10232357505142307_4866438444873883946_n

[ Edited by MadDogMike on 2023-08-12 15:23:02 ]

Mike, you were in the neighborhood! Nancy said she saw you at Oasis and I saw the photo, glad to see you getting around old man.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 230 replies