Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Sam's Seafood/ Don the Beachcomber, Sunset Beach, CA (restaurant)

Pages: 1 2 3 105 replies

K

Anybody else expected more of the interior to be salvaged?

On 2019-10-28 11:22, kkocka wrote:
Anybody else expected more of the interior to be salvaged?

All the old stuff that's still in the building never belonged to "Don's"(Delia), it belongs to the owner of the building. When Delia decided to leave she took the newer stuff that was added later since that's what she owned. It also appears that a few of the old things that were attached to the building have gone too.

K

On 2019-10-29 08:09, Ryan Partridge wrote:
answers

Thanks for that clarification. Seems a bit unfortunate, there's plenty of good stuff to salvage I'm sure - at the very least, the tikis. So when that building goes kaput, do you think the owner will keep it all or sell it/set it free? I'd love to get my grubby hands on something.

On 2019-10-29 10:37, kkocka wrote:

answers

Thanks for that clarification. Seems a bit unfortunate, there's plenty of good stuff to salvage I'm sure - at the very least, the tikis. So when that building goes kaput, do you think the owner will keep it all or sell it/set it free? I'd love to get my grubby hands on something.

I've talked several times with the property owner in person. He's assured me he won't let that stuff go unless someone wants the space without a use for the tikis/tropical decor. He really just wants someone to use the space, and according to him, he never raised Don's rent or forced her out. He believes she got to the point where she just did not want to do it anymore, and was surprised that she did it as long as she did after Art passed away.
When the word on the street was that she wanted to find a smaller space for less money, I had suggestions for specific properties close by. But as time goes on, it appears she has no interest in re-opening elsewhere. Even if Don's Instagram still occasionally posts "On The Move" or "Coming Soon" "Stay Tuned".
I wish she would re-open Don's.
And I hope the Sam's building gets restored/preserved and never goes away too.

On 2019-10-30 15:17, Ryan Partridge wrote:

On 2019-10-29 10:37, kkocka wrote:

answers

I've talked several times with the property owner in person. He's assured me he won't let that stuff go unless someone wants the space without a use for the tikis/tropical decor. He really just wants someone to use the space, and according to him, he never raised Don's rent or forced her out. He believes she got to the point where she just did not want to do it anymore, and was surprised that she did it as long as she did after Art passed away.
When the word on the street was that she wanted to find a smaller space for less money, I had suggestions for specific properties close by. But as time goes on, it appears she has no interest in re-opening elsewhere. Even if Don's Instagram still occasionally posts "On The Move" or "Coming Soon" "Stay Tuned".
I wish she would re-open Don's.
And I hope the Sam's building gets restored/preserved and never goes away too.

I'm certainly no expert but having dealt with a lot of greedy landlords over the last few years I'd lean more toward the word of a tenant on these matters. In the recent interview with Martin and Marc about Max's Southseas on the Desert Oasis Room podcast they mentioned having tried to take the old Don's space but it was in such rough shape much of the original structure wouldn't be salvageable and they'd have to basically re-build/create a similar building to do what they envisioned. Ultimately the deal fell through due to unfavorable terms with the landlord. I don't imagine many people can make something work in that space if those two can't.

On 2019-10-31 13:37, mikehooker wrote:

I'm certainly no expert but having dealt with a lot of greedy landlords over the last few years I'd lean more toward the word of a tenant on these matters. In the recent interview with Martin and Marc about Max's Southseas on the Desert Oasis Room podcast they mentioned having tried to take the old Don's space but it was in such rough shape much of the original structure wouldn't be salvageable and they'd have to basically re-build/create a similar building to do what they envisioned. Ultimately the deal fell through due to unfavorable terms with the landlord. I don't imagine many people can make something work in that space if those two can't.

Specifically, Martin and Mark said the building was structurally unsound and well nigh uninhabitable. Their plan was to raze it and rebuild a new, modern building in its place whilst preserving the original visual cues. The owner refused to consider demolition and rebuilding unless they bought the property outright, and his asking price for the property was astronomical, even for the HB area.

~Jayme

Lagoon of Mystery
http://www.JaymeBlaschke.com

[ Edited by: Prikli Pear 2019-11-01 06:43 ]

K

I've always thought the place looks rather shabby myself. Hell even the shelves behind the dagger bar were miraculously standing. With the downward tilt on those boys I'm surprised the bottles weren't flying off the shelves!

K

I've always thought the place looks rather shabby myself. Hell even the shelves behind the dagger bar were miraculously standing. With the downward tilt on those boys I'm surprised the bottles weren't flying off the shelves!

October 2020

Former heavyweight boxing champion, Mike Tyson, visited the former Don the Beachcomber

https://event-newsenterprise.com/former-heavyweight-champ-visits-sunset-beach/?fbclid=IwAR1hEAzdIdP827KPASkh7LiWuygA2KeJFk9wvdZfCQsBkSGDexMZ3LIT2_Y

tyson

[ Edited by King Bushwich the 33rd on 2022-04-23 16:41:34 ]

[ Edited by King Bushwich the 33rd on 2022-04-23 17:09:07 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 105 replies