Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

What is up at Tiki-Ti?

Pages: 1 2 3 141 replies

Ragbag Comics, I like what you said & I like how you said it
but I can still do without the PBRs, Your point about "History"
is my major gripe towards fashion locusts, to them it is just another fad
to burn threw and be soon forgotten, they refuse to put it in any context.

I have had those arguments with know it all Hipsters (in my case it was about Punk Rock)
who could name all the bands, but are clueless about the how, why & where
and yet have never seen those bands or been to the clubs, yet they thought they knew more
then someone who had lived it.

History is the sticky DNA that binds all of us together.

SOME GOOD-ISH NEWS...

I was driving past Tiki Ti today around 4pm and saw Mike Sr. unlocking the door. Hoping that they might be opening I pulled a u-turn and parked. By the time I got there, he was coming out again and closing up.

I said that I was hoping he was opening up and he said that they were definitely not this week, but "maybe next week."

[edited for clarity]

[ Edited by: robtikiti 2015-05-19 17:55 ]

On 2015-05-12 07:39, RevBambooBen wrote:
I was just talking to Mike senior at the last International Tiki Marketplace about beer
at the Tiki Ti! Only Heineken. Blahhhhh!!!

heh- every Filipino party i ever been to in the USA aint nothin but Heineken beer in each hand...

kevin

On 2015-05-13 21:13, robtikiti wrote:
SOME GOOD-ISH NEWS...

I was driving past Tiki Ti today around 4pm and saw Mike Sr. opening the door. Hoping that they might be opening I pulled a u-turn and parked. By the time I got to there, he was coming out again and closing up.

I said that I was hoping he was opening up and he said that they were definitely not opening up this week, but "maybe next week."

Ahhhh! Now THAT'S what I wanted to hear!

Funny, I came here to get the latest on the indefinite closure and saw that the thread had been hijacked and transformed into a debate on hipsters! I mean, shouldn't that be in a thread of its OWN? Just sayin'

Cheers n Mahalos

S

On 2015-05-14 02:51, KreepyTiki wrote:

Funny, I came here to get the latest on the indefinite closure and saw that the thread had been hijacked and transformed into a debate on hipsters! I mean, shouldn't that be in a thread of its OWN? Just sayin'

Cheers n Mahalos

You're right, but that would go in Bilge. The site needs to be kept alive somehow.

On 2015-05-14 03:00, swizzle wrote:

On 2015-05-14 02:51, KreepyTiki wrote:

Cheers n Mahalos

You're right, but that would go in Bilge. The site needs to be kept alive somehow.

A little bit of Old School Tiki Central came out of a few of us. Now back to New School Tiki Central. :wink: :wink: :wink:

On 2015-05-14 07:48, RevBambooBen wrote:
A little bit of Old School Tiki Central came out of a few of us. Now back to New School Tiki Central. :wink: :wink: :wink:

It was like, totally trippin'-dicular, you know?

FM

The hipster "uniform" changes over the years. A few years ago it was vintage t-shirts and mussed up hair. I remember shops on Melrose Ave selling vintage tees for $30 and up, shit that I found at Goodwill. I avoid the hipster joints and I usually only come into contact with them at flea markets, rummaging throught record piles. I'm sure there are poor hipsters, but I have yet to see one that didn't seem flush with cash from mommy and daddy. Always on the lookout for the next cool spot, they'll eventually find your watering hole. Everyone's experience is different, so I don't see a right or wrong here, just opinions. Anyway, long live the Tiki Ti!

[ Edited by: Fez Moai 2015-05-16 12:21 ]

I've never been to the Tiki-Ti so I had to build a miniature one I could stare at while I drink.

nice model uncle trav!

i've got a hipster mystery here ( a hipstery?)-- saw dude in liquor store last night, w/close cropped hair, big-ass james hardin-style beard, and an ironic t-shirt (i think it was felix the cat); he had a twelve pack of beer cans slung over his shoulder for purchase, i assumed it would be PBR-- but it was Budweiser!! is Bud the next Hipster beer?!?

T

"is Bud the next Hipster beer?!?"

Noooo, I drink Bud because it has the least "beer" flavor of all beers.

Unpretentiousil - for the fight against Hipsters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfxs2wpJdtA

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good job Trav...now we can drink and look at your replica on our screens!

Looks like not all ad agencies are embracing the hipster love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng-1hc_-DGc

Tiki Ti is BACK!!!

No more need to boycott LA :wink:

T

On 2015-05-20 14:40, lunavideogames wrote:
Tiki Ti is BACK!!!

So WHAT Happen???

"The Tiki Ti is proud to announce our return to normalcy. Starting Friday, May 22, we are back to our regularly scheduled shenanigans. We will be open from 4pm-2am this Friday and Saturday, returning to our regular days and hours. Thank you for your patience and understanding."

My guess is some pipe or valve busted in some wall and they just needed to make some repairs, which can be a major pain in the ass.

Or maybe it's just the fault of all those hipsters. :wink:

No word on why they were closed. I am sure we will find out on Friday.

T

Good news!!!

Welcome back, beloved Ti!!!!

Thanks be to the Tiki Gods, life can now go on!!!!

(I'm only half kiddin' -- I was seriously bummed for a while there!)

[ Edited by: KreepyTiki 2015-05-22 05:02 ]

M

Did anybody find out what the issue was?

No more smoking at Tiki Ti starting June 1st. Go there this weekend for their last smoking weekend!

I am sure everyone is just heartbroken :wink:

Best improvement, yet.

F

Agreed that this new "no smoking" policy is ultimately a change for the better, but does any one yet know why they were closed? Is the "no smoking" thing just a coincidence?

I don't want to start rumors so I'll wait to comment until I hear it officially, instead of speculation and hearsay.

You can draw your own conclusions, they were a smoking bar because they were owner owned & operated.

T

I don't smoke, but dam outlaw the F#$%ing things or don't.

A few things about smokers is, They DRINK, They don't want water with lemon in it, not being totally into
living till 100 and every aspect of their lives being about health they will eat more as well.
Yes smokers make your bar or restaurant way more money with way less hassle.

I'm allergic to dogs and cats but they bring those on planes all the time,
that's because lawmakers have pets.

This regulating the crap out of small businesses (because they don't throw big fund raisers for politicians)
Needs to stop.

Dam it's hard enough to make a buck these days as it is.

So what if the guys simply were getting up in years and decided it was a good time to retire? That could have resulted in a change in ownership. Nawwww, that's crazy talk. Sorry about that...

That could be it.
Hope he did get a good price and get to retire.
Many don't get that far.

I forget the number but LOTS of bars and restaurants went out of business after
the smoking ban.

Remember I too don't like smoke filled places as I don't smoke.
A small part of the reason I sold my restaurant was due to the smoking ban and what it would do
to my business.

"that's crazy talk."
Crazy talk is wanting to legalize pot while getting all worked up about second hand smoke
from cigarettes, man you can't even smoke in your car in some states.

Cigarettes are still legal.

Long live Tiki Ti!! Good luck in whatever you do from this point on Buhen family.

Have they "Incorporated"???

Only been to Tiki Ti once, would be there plenty if I lived in that part of the country. Long live Tiki Ti!

I own 20 restaurant/bars in the Midwest. We went smoke free even though not required to. It was a smart decision. Sales remain the envy of our competition in every market we are in. "Smokers drink" may be true, but non-smokers drink too... and they have more money to spend on drinks!

T

Not what I'm hearing from bar owners in Columbus.

Are your restaurants all Mexican or other types as well?
Glad you are doing well.

R
Rawim posted on Thu, May 28, 2015 4:11 PM

The Tiki-Ti will no longer wholly owner operated, therefore they will not qualify for the smoking exemption.

B

well the younger son is no longer bartending so assuming the newbie is not part of the family, they are not family operating any more; they now have an employee. i doubt theyre selling in my opinion. the dad would be ok, but his other son who is still there has a family & why would he want to start over career wise?

M

On 2015-05-28 14:22, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
Only been to Tiki Ti once, would be there plenty if I lived in that part of the country. Long live Tiki Ti!

I own 20 restaurant/bars in the Midwest. We went smoke free even though not required to. It was a smart decision. Sales remain the envy of our competition in every market we are in. "Smokers drink" may be true, but non-smokers drink too... and they have more money to spend on drinks!

Have you developed anything to try and copy the genius of Tiki Ti. How has it done?

On 2015-05-28 20:30, mmaurice wrote:
Have you developed anything to try and copy the genius of Tiki Ti. How has it done?

Good question, and it reminds me that Los Angeles is a unique area. I get the sense that other parts of the country could copy the Tiki Ti formula and their vibe and still not draw the same crowds. So the spidey sense of the owners/creators/visionaries is important, but so is the ability of the locals to identify something which cool and unique -- and then embrace it.

I hope that made sense... I am, unfortunately, quite sober right now...

K

On 2015-05-28 08:49, tikiskip wrote:
I'm allergic to dogs and cats but they bring those on planes all the time,
that's because lawmakers have pets.

Right, but they aren't then opening their carrying case and sticking the animal in your face while you remain helpless. You just basically related the above to bringing cigarettes into a bar but keeping them in your pocket. :lol:

Not really the dander is airborne if the animal is in the open air.
As we know the air in an airplane goes round and round recirculating the same air
over and over, that is why you get the cold from that guy seats ahead of you
when you fly.

NOW if you sealed the animal in say saran wrap or sealed it in one of those
FoodSaver® Vacuum Sealers THAT would be the same as bringing cigarettes into a bar but keeping them in your pocket.

I don't think any of the bars here have suffered because of the smoking bans. You can't smoke on the beach or in a lot of the parks and that hasn't stopped people from visiting them. Some towns don't even let you smoke while walking down the sidewalk.
No big deal to me, but then again I don't smoke.

J

On 2015-05-29 11:46, tikiskip wrote:
Not really the dander is airborne if the animal is in the open air.
As we know the air in an airplane goes round and round recirculating the same air
over and over, that is why you get the cold from that guy seats ahead of you
when you fly.

NOW if you sealed the animal in say saran wrap or sealed it in one of those
FoodSaver® Vacuum Sealers THAT would be the same as bringing cigarettes into a bar but keeping them in your pocket.

Yeah, what Skip said! I have animal allergies and always have a reaction just walking into a room that has an animal in it. I've also reacted when sitting across the aisle from service animals on buses and trains, so I'm sure I'd react to one on a plane as well, since that air just gets piped right into my face from the ventilation.

I never get pissy or say anything about it.
But people seem to be fine with messing with peoples rights as long as
it's not hurting them.

On 2015-05-29 12:24, tikiskip wrote:
I never get pissy or say anything about it.
But people seem to be fine with messing with peoples rights as long as
it's not hurting them.

Second hand smoke does hurt people.

F

Hope you all are having fun at the Ti tonite!

Smoke'em if you got'em!

Pages: 1 2 3 141 replies