Name:Harbor Hut
Type:restaurant
Street:1205 Embarcadero
City:Morro Bay
State:CA
Zip:93442-2041
Phone:(805) 772-2255

Description:
A seafood restaurant with cocktail lounge with nautical decor. There are 3 Tikis outside the restaurant. The largest Tiki (10-12') by the entrance was damaged and was moved around the corner on our visit 6-8 months ago. Have not tried the food or drinks.

O
Octane posted on Sun, Aug 3, 2003 8:09 PM

here are a few pictures of the tikis they have out front. there is also a picture of the building from a distance.

this is the one that was damaged (fire i think)

there is one more but i can't find the picture sorry

[ Edited by: Octane on 2003-08-03 20:10 ]

F

Here are a few Harbor Hut pics...

I picked up this matchbook today.

Some friends and I ate at the Harbor Hut's outdoor stand and the food was just fine. It was about a year ago and I think I remember we had food like fish and chips. Lots of people from the San Joaquin Valley (Hanford, Coalinga, Avenal, Fresno, Lemoore, Visalia, etc.) go to the coast and have always talked about eating at the Harbor Hut. My mother-in-law tells the story that when my husband was small, he wondered how you were supposed to get into the hut at the top of the building.

CJ

On 2009-07-19 15:01, Tiki-Kate wrote:
I picked up this matchbook today.

very cool

How time flies....My son Diego at the Harbor Hut in 1995:

...and in Sept 2008:

Did I shrink?

I think the problem is obvious from the first photo, Sven. For God's sake! You had him rubbing wooden male virility totems willy-nilly all over the country at a young age. I hope he thanks you.

(I hope you guys rubbed a lot of well-hung Tangaroa tikis too)

Also, early cannibal carving contact might have inspired him to supplement his diet with "long pig", which caused gigantism. Unthinkable, the damage I inflicted by subjecting a young child to all these pagan customs.

Went to the Harbor Hut over the holidays for a quick look-see and a Mai Tai.

Here is the child's coloring book menu in the cannibal theme - enough to scare the little ones!

DC

Another matchbook style from the Harbor Hut from ebay, same look as the Child's Menu.

DC

C
Chub posted on Mon, Mar 15, 2010 11:04 PM

Visited the Harbor Hut on March 1st. Didn't have time to have food or drink, but talked with some of the wait staff who were all very friendly. They did mention that just a short time ago, someone stole a few tikis. I didn't see the cannibal tiki anywhere, so that might be the one that was taken. Very sad if so.

Nooooo! Sacrilege! Taboo broken! Bad mana for the thief! Although we all can identify with the desire to own such a magnificent carving, to desecrate an existing Tiki site with such looting hurts the whole Tiki community. To think how many years it stood guard at the place...

Thanks for the photos and update, that gate is really spectacular.

CJ

shame

A

Here's a couple of blurry-ish photos of the Harbor Hut tikis in 2001 (after Otto's party at the Madonna Inn).

-Randy

Aloha TC!!! I was up in Morro Bay today doing some Tiki thrift shopping and I stopped by the Harbor Hut for a cocktail before I headed back to Pismo Beach. Thought I would take some updated pics to let you guys know whats been going down with it. Sadly some of the classic Tikis that were there in the begining are now gone. They did a remodel of the place and it got modernized. But they still kept some of the Tiki theme inside fortunately or I would have been pissed since this is the only Tiki restuarant we have up here. And yes! Tiki Joe still remains. If they would have got rid of him I would have kicked some ass :D.

Tiki joe is no longer a bike rack :D

I ran into the guy who did some of the renovation of the Habor Hut and he actually saved some of the Tikis that were around. So I scored one of them and working out a deal to get a few more. Here is the Tiki that is found and saved. I had to have it cause its local Tiki history.

Nice score!

Did they say why they took them out, was is because people were stealing / vandalizing them?

O
Otto posted on Wed, Jan 1, 2014 1:53 PM

On 2012-09-02 20:22, forgotten tikiman wrote:
Aloha TC!!! I was up in Morro Bay today doing some Tiki thrift shopping and I stopped by the Harbor Hut for a cocktail before I headed back to Pismo Beach. Thought I would take some updated pics to let you guys know whats been going down with it. Sadly some of the classic Tikis that were there in the begining are now gone. They did a remodel of the place and it got modernized. But they still kept some of the Tiki theme inside fortunately or I would have been pissed since this is the only Tiki restaurant we have up here. And yes! Tiki Joe still remains. If they would have got rid of him I would have kicked some ass :D.

I was up in Morro Bay Dec 30, 2013
Could not thrift shop or even have a cocktail as the family was headed to Hearst Castle for the day but am happy to report that Harbor Hut appears to be functioning well and still has all of the artifacts shown above by Forgotten Tikiman. But on the side of the building on the dock I noticed some severed heads. I'm not sure if it is a good sign that they are saving them or that it is a bad sign that they chopped them off?

And here is an artifact that is unique to Harbor Hut

Your intrepid reporter in the field, Otto

A

Some pics taken this week from a quick visit...

Tiki Joe is still there

Don't see this angle much, probably because most people don't like the "3 fingers". I kinda like em though, and the warm water flow from the plant there used to be nice for surfing out by the rock.

-Randy

Pages: 1 19 replies