Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

My first tiki (statue/sculpture)

Pages: 1 2 62 replies

One day I had nothing to do, so I was looking for a creative chore. I happened to have a block of marlstone, so I decided to carve something out of it. I had no plan, but previously I read (had seen) something on the Internet about tikis and with those images in my head, I just started chopping and cutting (“indiscriminately”). This is the final result.
does it look like something, or should I look for another hobby?

Does he bite?
You have a sharp eye.
How bout a full body guy?

[ Edited by: will carve 2015-06-24 04:24 ]

If he is really pissed off, he will absolutely bite! :wink:

A full body guy is planned, but first I need to purchase some more (and larger) marlstone blocks.
Right now, I'm also looking for a (carving) chainsaw, because in the near future, I also want to cut ("saw") wooden sculptures.

I think you found the right hobby!

C
cy posted on Tue, Jun 23, 2015 8:21 AM

Cool, clean carves Dutch!

T

I think i need to get some marlstone! Can you send me your carved blocks and save me the trouble? :lol:

Thank you all!!

On 2015-06-23 10:21, TheBigT wrote:
Can you send me your carved blocks and save me the trouble? :lol:

Because of the weight you'd be scared for the transportation costs :lol:
This one (Moai) would be better (cheaper), is merely 3cm :wink:

Very Clean!! Tering Strak man! What tools did you use?

Dankjewel! (Thanks!) Monkey!

I use an ordinary handsaw (wood saw & hacksaw, for bigger and smaller parts), some (old) chisels / gouges (all for woodworking, marl is pretty easy to process) , a rasp and a number of (little) files.

(some pictures of the process...)

(Moai)

(Tiki)

Very well done!
You have obviously carved things before, what did/do you carve before tikis?

Thank you "4WD"!

To be honest these are my first 2 carving works, I never carved anything in my life before (maybe once or twice as a child in my school years during crafts classes)

By chance I got 2 beautiful marlstone blocks and because I do'm a "creative" person (Other hobbies: designing & model-/scale-/scratch-/maquette building), I thought I'd just gonne cut something out of those blocks (for in my “exotic” garden). I first made the Moai (more convenient form to practice), and then I made the tiki from the second block. (of course it cost me a few hours to make/cut them, but my motto is: If I want it, I can do it)

Wow - if those are the first things you've ever carved, I foresee amazing things to follow!
Thanks for sharing the pictures; keep it up!

A
amate posted on Fri, Jun 26, 2015 5:32 AM

NICE!!!!!

Thank you both! Nice to hear you like my work :)

I'm impressed! I had to look up marlstone, looks like it's a Netherlands thing - is it plentiful there? The background of the pictures looks much more tropical than I would expect that far north.

Thanks MadDogMike!!

Dutch marl/marlstone (in Dutch: Limburgs mergel) is a kind of chalk(stone) and comes from the most southern part of the Netherlands (From the province of Limburg).

In the past, in particular used extensively for the construction of buildings, nowadays, mostly for renovation of old buildings and fine arts. For “environmental reasons”, there are only two mines / quarries in use for these reasons, i believe. So, it is still available, but on a smaller scale and at a higher price. For sculptures you do need the best quality, otherwise you have to deal with bumps, cracks and fossils in your prospective sculpture.

The background (It's my own backyard) indeed looks tropical (too exotic and tropical for this part of the world), but that's because exotic gardening is one of my main other hobbies.

D

Today I did some "carving" again :wink: I think it's going to be some kind of a Marquesan..

[ Edited by: DutchTiki 2015-07-07 10:35 ]

Love it! Love it! Love it!
Really cool carving...never heard of the stuff before I saw your thread.
Keep 'em coming!

D

Thanks congatiki!

One more pic, it was getting dark outside (Local time: 22.45), so I had to call it a day!

At the next update, the "ape-alien-looking thingy" will be ready :wink:

WC

Sweet.
Nice job.

D

Thank you Will!

Finished cutting out the final details, so now I have to impregnate the stone. During drying, I'm just going to clean up the mess here. I've done the work inside, because of the weather, so now I have to be fast, before my wife comes home! :wink:

D

The Marquesan space man alias ET(iki) is ready! :wink:

Up in the sky.. :)

[ Edited by: DutchTiki 2015-07-08 09:23 ]

[ Edited by: DutchTiki 2015-07-08 11:55 ]

[ Edited by: DutchTiki 2015-07-08 12:16 ]

C
cy posted on Wed, Jul 8, 2015 9:30 AM

That is killer, like the material you use.

Muchas gracias "cy"!

H

Just beautiful.

If these are your first carves I can't wait to see what's next. Nice work man!

A
amate posted on Thu, Jul 9, 2015 3:53 AM

Just love ETiki!

D

Thanks guys (and girls!?)

On 2015-07-08 21:40, AlohaTexasTikiCo wrote:
If these are your first carves

Yep, these are really my first carvings ever. (together with the stuff below)

On 2015-07-08 21:40, AlohaTexasTikiCo wrote:
I can't wait to see what's next.

At this moment, not much! ... I only had three big blocks of marl and one smaller one. The three big marl blocks are used so I can only make one smaller one.
In the meanwhile I made a few tiny tikis (I've given to others) from some residual pieces of the bigger stones. For more / new sculptures, I'll have to buy me some new marlstone first and it may well take some time.

I'm also doing a kind tiki (for my son & not finished yet) from a well-known computer game. This one I'm carving out of an cellular concrete block. (but this is a one-timer, I really don’t like concrete!)

A couple of days ago, I also made a tiki (moai) from a pine. Because of poor tools I did not put too much effort into this one, so don’t expect too much (I even didn't want to show it here) But hey, it looks primitive, rough and old, and that was my intention.

In The End I want to work more often in wood, that’s why I have just bought me a chainsaw and some new chisels and gouges, another carvingsaw is on my wishlist. :wink:

I'm amazed at your carving skills, especially for a beginner! you have an amazing amount of talent!!!

Keep carving & posting!

Thanks Lori!

On 2015-07-09 09:50, LoriLovesTiki wrote:
Keep carving & posting!

I will! I'm full of new and special ideas and designs, so I am eager to start on a new sculpture..... Just need to get me some nice wood or marlstone :(

Love the Moai!!

D

A late response, but thank you very much tiki kiliki :)

Did some carving again, a Moai from beech wood.

(Not quite finished, it becomes part of a utensil ... Someone already have an idea what it is for?)

Could that be a member of the
Moai Muddler Club ?

Hi "Will carve"

I have no idea! It’s a handle of a pocket knife ... Is that part the Moai Muddler club? (I really do not know what the mmc is, sorry)

I bought me some Opinel knives, for woodcarving (Whittling). Unfortunately I did not have a nice piece of wood for carving at the moment, so I decided to start with a wooden handle of one of the new blades.

Here are a few more pictures. A short while ago, these knives were exactly the same knives (both Opinel no. 8 )

[ Edited by: DutchTiki 2015-09-11 11:29 ]

Kool

Thanks "hang10tiki" :wink:

I have oiled the knife (handle) and then I did the complete knife in the oven for an hour, this is the end result of my modified/customized OMK (“Opinel Moai Knife”) :)

The picture was taken with my Phone, I will shoot some more/better pictures later.

[ Edited by: DutchTiki 2015-09-11 02:05 ]

Lesson learned! I was not familiar with that word, "muddling"

My Moai is not a member of that club :wink:

H

Nice looking knife handle.

Thank you hiltiki :)

Here are some better pics of my modified, customized Opinel folding knife

On to the next carving project! Mmmhh... maybe that stone underneath the knife ???

[ Edited by: DutchTiki 2015-09-11 11:29 ]

I transformed 2 more Opinel knives into mini tikis :wink:

On 2016-09-23 10:44, DutchTiki wrote:
I transformed 2 more Opinel knives into mini tikis :wink:

Love it! Are you willing to make some of these and mail them to the US?

On 2016-09-23 11:14, Jeff Bannow wrote:

Thanks Jeff :wink:

Anything is possible, I have sent some custom carved Opinel knives before, also to the US

On 2016-09-23 11:38, DutchTiki wrote:

On 2016-09-23 11:14, Jeff Bannow wrote:

Thanks Jeff :wink:

Anything is possible, I have sent some custom carved Opinel knives before, also to the US

Great. PM sent.

C
cy posted on Fri, Sep 23, 2016 4:39 PM

Those look great Dutch!

N

Very cool tikis

Thanks guys :)

(Should there be a need for more pictures, just let me know :wink: )

I am now cutting a new one for someone who asked me if a happy Moai (out of olive wood) would be possible...

Pages: 1 2 62 replies