Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Martin Denny Chord Charts (Exotica, Quiet Village, and more!)

Pages: 1 14 replies

W

I'm a musician with an extensive Martin Denny record collection. I recently started transcribing the music to the songs (just chords, but you can get the melody by hear for most of his songs easily). You'll find a variety of songs that he recorded on here, including both covers and his original pieces. As I transcribe more, I'll post them on this thread. Here are a few to start.

Track Names (for the benefit of people potentially searching for them): "Bali Ha'i","Beautiful Kahana","Black Orchid","Clair De Lune","Cockeyed Mayor of Kaunakakai","Exotica","Forbidden Island","Harbor Light's","The Hawaiian Wedding Song (Ke Kali Nei Au)","Lei Aloha Lei Makame","Manila","The Moon of Manakoora","Ol' Man River","On the Beach at Waikiki","Quiet Village","Rain","Star Dust","The Volga Boatmen","Stone God","Ah Me Furi","Burma Train","Return to Paradise","Na Lei O Hawai'i / Song of the Islands","Ebb Tide"

UPDATE ONE:
"Stone God" , "Ah Me Furi"

UPDATE TWO:
"Burma Train" , "Return to Paradise" , "Na Lei O Hawai'i / Song of the Islands" , "Ebb Tide"

Update THREE:
"Jungle Drums","Sophisticated Savage","Latin Village"

[ Edited by: wleverett 2015-07-05 20:57 ]
[ Edited by: 2015-07-24 14:09 ]
[ Edited by: wleverett 2015-07-24 14:10 ]
[ Edited by: 2015-09-20 13:22 ]

[ Edited by: wleverett 2015-09-20 13:24 ]

[ Edited by: wleverett 2016-01-03 19:47 ]

[ Edited by: wleverett 2016-01-15 16:17 ]

W

Those with a good ear should be able to pick out the melody by listening to the songs. Use the chords as reference. Those without a good ear might just be on their own. My apologies for not including sheet music.

[ Edited by: wleverett 2015-07-05 21:00 ]

wleverett, I'm no musician but I appreciate the effort you have put in here. Welcome to Tiki Central and thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the welcome and appreciation Mad Dog Mike.

TP

This is awesome! Thank you so much.

Sure thing Tiki Pete

That's a great resource! I think you just compiled the Real Book of Exotica!

THANK you!

Wow, I've been looking for something like this for a long time. Thanks so much. I plan to notate some of these and will post when I get around to it. Yes, let's make a real book of Exotica!

A question, can help me understand the harmony at the start of his cover of Summertime?

Thanks

On 2015-11-26 15:44, Hypnotique wrote:
Wow, I've been looking for something like this for a long time. Thanks so much. I plan to notate some of these and will post when I get around to it. Yes, let's make a real book of Exotica!

A question, can help me understand the harmony at the start of his cover of Summertime?

Thanks

Yes, his version of Summertime begins with a little melody over an Am6/9 chord. With the melody played it becomes an Am6/9(b5).

I agree with Mike, great investment of time and much appreciated. Glad to have you on the board. CHEERS

On 2015-11-26 20:16, VampiressRN wrote:
I agree with Mike, great investment of time and much appreciated. Glad to have you on the board. CHEERS

Thank you kindly

T

Awesome!

[ Edited by: Tele295 2015-11-28 12:00 ]

BB

Holy crap! I had no idea this thread existed! These are exactly what I need for my current project.

Thank you so much, from The World Of Tomorrow!

What he (Bam Bam) said! These are great and much appreciated, even for old garage band pickers like me. Thank you!

Pages: 1 14 replies