Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Marion's/'Kahiki' in NYC...BIG let down!

Pages: 1 12 replies

D

Aloha-

Some NYC tiki reportage here on the 'Kahiki' fest at Marion's. For those of you outside NYC, Marion's is a very classy 'retro-esque' bar/restaurant located on the Bowery here in the East Village in Manhattan. Marion's specializes in different kinds of martinis, and knowing their reputation as kind of a retro place it makes total sense that they would devote the month of August to transforming their establishment into a 'Tiki' bar. That's why their particular interpretation of Tiki was such a huge dissapointment. To make a long story short they basically threw some paper palm trees here and there, and hung some thatched stuff up. All of the waitresses are also dressed in Hawaiian style dresses, but other than that no big difference from what the place ususally looks like which IS cool anyway. The place for this Tiki fest basically looked like they were throwing a tropical themed birthday party for someone. It was that lame.

I didn't see what kind of food they were offering, but you would have thought that they would have a pretty good menu of vintage drinks. But alas my high expections for Marion's 'Kahiki' fest were shattered once I took a look at the 'tiki' drinks being offered. They only had four, yes four, 'tiki' drinks offered and they were all frozen. One was a pina colada, another was a dacquiri, and I forgot the other two beause they were in fact totally forgettable. Nothing else really to report here. Coughlamecough. I decided not to order one of the Tiki drinks and just had a martini instead. Oh well...

Mahalo :drink:

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2003-08-02 10:20 ]

I haven't been to the Kahiki @ Marion's yet this year, but last year I went a bunch of times.

For food they are the only place on Manhattan Island that serves a darn good PUPU platter, w/ hibachi and monkey pod tray.

Regarding the decor you need to go the nights that they feature the Pontani Sisters....You don't need alot of decor when you have hot RetroTikiHula Dancers filling the aisle!

I guess I am an easy Tiki Push-Over; I'll take what I can get here!

TC

yeah, i was at great jones the other night & went 'round the corner to pop my head in. wasn't impressed w/ the decor either. however, the Pontani Sisters & the pupu platters sound worthwhile.

MC

When I was there last august, I had a blast. My family sat in a big tiki hut with tiki lights and thatched roofing. the drinks were served in various tiki mugs. the music was exotica. the pontanis danced their hula. the food was polynesian-inspired. I'm asking, what was missing that people are expecting to see? It has the TIKI SPIRIT which is darn fun. So what, Marion's doesn't have a single carved tiki. But this is the hot, sticky city and a frozen tiki drink in the summertime is perfect for me.

I went to Marion's last year and I enjoyed it. They had put some thatch up, did some other decorating, and, while it certainly wasn't the Mai Kai, I appreciated their effort. Our drink came in a flaming volcano bowl (it was tasty and potent), and we also had a polynesian-flavored dish that was also realy good. Can't remember what it was, but I know it had pineapple. At any rate, I enjoyed it for what it was. Marion's doesn't HAVE to do a Kahiki-theme every August, but they choose to, and that alone is pretty cool.

D

So I was a bit too harsh on the Marion's/Kahiki thing. Yeah...my expectations were a bit higher. Maybe I'll check it out when they have the show and the whole 9. I still think the drink menu should have at least a Mai Tai on it though. No disrespect for the effort that they at least put forth on the place. But hey what can I tellya, I'm snobbed-out ...I grew up with the Mai Kai.

MC

...I grew up with the Mai Kai.

hahaha--that explains it! NOTHING can compare.

"The place for this Tiki fest basically looked like they were throwing a tropical themed birthday party for someone."
That's exactly it! It's a yearly party to celebrate the Kahiki, not a re-creation or imitation of the Kahiki. Marion's is also special because they have been doing a tribute to tiki since when NYC was completely tiki-dry. They are giving props to fun summertime tiki drinkin and the age-old big-time Tiki bar in just a few weeks. Honestly, I look forward to August every year when Marion's provides one more place to call Tiki in NYC. It's a great effort and I REALLY like pu-pu.
really--no Mai tai? that sounds odd. I wonder why not.
M C

MC

Oh NO! Donhonyc's doomsday review for NYC tiki might be true at Marion's. I just asked Shalom Aloha if we want to catch a drink there on Fri. before the seasons up, and he says, "Marion's is getting sucky." (GASP!) whatta ya mean? S A says that it's really not as good as last year or the year before. (THE HORROR!) His criticisms were very similar to D.'s. They better still have pu-pu platter! It's gonna be really sad to see if they have gotten sucky.

[ Edited by: manic cat on 2003-08-27 14:07 ]

D

Wish I was at Marion's last year for Kahiki. At all other times of the year I love Marion's. The food is great, atmosphere is tre' cool, and last but not least, I can say I have had a martini or two, or three there if yaknowhaddimean. That's why my expectations were so high for their version of tiki. Sorry to be negative on the review, but alas....I only speak the truth.

Yea, I'm "double posting"... but I figure that Marion's Continental deserves a second chance.
Okay, so it may not be full blown “tiki”, but the place already has that great retro-cocktail feel. And I personally do not expect more than a “rumpus-room, 50’s basement tiki” feel, not the old NYC Hawaiian Room or Luau 400.
And as those of you who live in the tri-state area already know… we can’t be too picky.
So, this B&T guy is gonna check it out for himself and I expect the natives (NYC’ers, a VERY dangerous tribe!) to do so as well.

Link to the NYC event: Marion's Kahiki Tribute - Aug. 19 thru Sept. 7 - NYC

Hey all, why not make the trek to the old home of the Kahiki, and the current home of Kahiki Frozen foods... Columbus Ohio? We in the Fraternal Order of Moai are throwing a bash on the 20th, with a semi private preparty on the 19th... The show is being put on in conjunction with the Drifters CC Columbus Chapter.... check out the posts we have up in regards to The Hot Rod Hula Hop....
I know its a trek for you New Yorkers and others on the coast... but why not make a long weekend of it?
Plenty of great mid century antique malls in the area... And I know that that stuff cant be found for less than a small Fortune back east...
Hope to see yinz there
Baron Von Yinzer

On 2005-07-28 23:20, JerseyRED wrote:
Yea, I'm "double posting"... but I figure that Marion's Continental deserves a second chance.
Okay, so it may not be full blown “tiki”, but the place already has that great retro-cocktail feel. And I personally do not expect more than a “rumpus-room, 50’s basement tiki” feel, not the old NYC Hawaiian Room or Luau 400.
And as those of you who live in the tri-state area already know… we can’t be too picky.
So, this B&T guy is gonna check it out for himself and I expect the natives (NYC’ers, a VERY dangerous tribe!) to do so as well.

Link to the NYC event: Marion's Kahiki Tribute - Aug. 19 thru Sept. 7 - NYC

I will check this out. The Pontani Sisters are great. I saw them there last year.

Just an FYI:

From Marion's Continental Restaurant & Lounge email newsletter:

"Kahiki returns in August.
Kahiki our annual tribute to everything Polynesian. Its when Marion's brings the kitsch back to the nightlife of Manhattan. Pu-pu Platters, Pacific Rim cuisine and fabulous cocktails. The staff is in their sarongs. the paper lanterns are aglow and everything is beautiful. The Tiki cocktails will be a great compliment to the menu. A great way to get out of the heat of those dog days of summer.

When: Wednesday, August 16th through Labor Day weekend.
Where: Marion's of course"
Marion's Continental

But I would be sure to check out the tiki inspired cocktails that the Flatiron Lounge and Pegu Club may be serving.
They're both great for EXCELLENT cocktails!

Pages: 1 12 replies