Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Bahooka, Rosemead, CA (restaurant)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 147 replies

On 2014-01-30 06:55, Big Kahuna wrote:
WOW! Liz, that is awesome. Love the graphics.

Thanks! It is cool to see it in person versus looking at Abstractiki's scans because who knew it was so big?
Its 2 large pages secured together in the middle to make 6 pages total--2 covers and 4 listing food/booze
The back has a tear that is taped and it has some stains but its cool nonetheless!

Did you find it locally?

Local in California, yes :)

Nice to know the stuffs still out there, out there!

FM

Hi everybody! I was officially offered Rufus today by the owner of the Bahooka restaurant site. I would like to see him go somewhere where he will enjoy the type of attention he's always had. A restaurant, bar, or aquarium- preferably Tiki, where he would be immediately loved by all. Ideas?

Wow…RUFUS ORPHANED! There are so many animal rights peeps out here, c'mon, somebody take him!

On 2014-01-31 18:05, Fez Moai wrote:
Hi everybody! I was officially offered Rufus today by the owner of the Bahooka restaurant site. I would like to see him go somewhere where he will enjoy the type of attention he's always had. A restaurant, bar, or aquarium- preferably Tiki, where he would be immediately loved by all. Ideas?

I'm a member at the Aquarium of the Pacific, I just sent them an email. Be a nice place for him to retire.

Great Idea Onyx_Noir, hope you can make it happen.

Lets eat him!

Jeff btd

FM

There is a fundraiser going on right now to find a new home for Rufus. Please check it out.

FM
FM

The Post Office boxes at the front of the Bahooka. Now part of my collection.

Taking down the bamboo.

Does anyone else feel like we are watching someone strip the bones of the dead?

RR

At least it looks like they are taking their time removing everything from the building. They could have just went in there tearing everything apart and have it cleared out in a week.

FM

Why post the negative comments, guys?

FM

On 2014-03-18 10:25, Rob Roy wrote:
At least it looks like they are taking their time removing everything from the building. They could have just went in there tearing everything apart and have it cleared out in a week.

The point is to NOT tear everything apart and destroy it. They decided to not keep the PO boxes after all, so I grabbed them. As well as the bamboo.

FM

On 2014-03-18 01:04, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

Feel free to stop reading this thread then, as I will continue to post these Bahooka pictures. You'd rather this stuff end up in a dumpster? Where's your "Tiki Ohana"?

On 2014-03-18 11:38, Fez Moai wrote:

On 2014-03-18 01:04, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

Feel free to stop reading this thread then, as I will continue to post these Bahooka pictures. You'd rather this stuff end up in a dumpster? Where's your "Tiki Ohana"?

As with everything I have ever said to you, you have continuously missed the point
I for one, am very bothered by these pictures of the destruction of the Bahooka
and your boasting of new additions to your collection, what are you going to do with a wall of
old mailboxes anyway? there is nothing Tiki about them.

I find it all rather insensitive to those here on TC whom would rather keep the old memories of the place intact
without seeing it torn apart on its way to becoming a Chinese restaurant, Am I the only here
who thinks so?

ATP,

In Fez Moai's defense, I'd rather see those mailboxes going to someone's collection than into a construction dumpster. I understand that people who visited Bahooka may suffer some distress at seeing it being dismantled,but I have a hard time seeing how it's different than all if the threads on here showing pictures of abandoned tiki locations that have fallen into ruin.

FM

What a drama queen.

The signs are also part of my collection now.

The restroom signs

T

It is sad to see the destruction, but what's done is done.
I also like to see as much of any tiki joint as I can dead or alive, so
thanks for posting the pics.
It's odd how the stuff in a tiki place can look very cool when the place is open
and all of the décor intact, but then you take one part out get it in the sunlight
then bam this thing don't look so cool any more.

Plus I bet nobody really took the time to look at those Witco like posts while Bahooka was open,
too much else to look at.

"I'd rather see those mailboxes going to someone's collection than into a construction dumpster."
I think that's kinda rare these days, though I think Alan Zhu would crap himself if he knew what
this stuff is worth.(I bet you could get at least $300.00 or more for those boxes)
He wants $100.00 bucks for old fish tanks, then I'm guessing (by the prices you fez are selling stuff for)gives the décor away for cheap.
Alan Zhu does not sound like a guy who is on the ball really.

Keep posting the photos Fez I like em.
In fact some close up photos of those Witco like posts would be nice.
Those would be easy for anyone to make for their home bars as they are just a hunk of
wood with some chain saw cuts on the sides.

FM

I really love this light.

[ Edited by: Fez Moai 2014-03-25 23:39 ]

Is that cycad wood?

All drama aside ( ATP :wink: . I'm glad the Bahooka Stuff is going to People rather than the dump. I come from a Beachcombing Family and like to see stuff getting re-used. Long live the Bahooka in memories and peoples collections!!

FM

I don't know what kind of wood it is. It's real nice though. Thanks Ben, wait till I put up the next few pics of the Bahooka, those will really be a downer.

FM

I've been a dumpster-diver since I was a wee lad, that's why urban archaeology resonates so much for me. More pics to follow!

I woulda loved to have gotten some BahOOka stuff but I'm really lacking storage. Just getting around to using my Kon Tiki Tucson leftovers from when I revamped it back in 2006. Pics here... http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=46506&forum=4&38

FM

If you've ever had a Flaming Bahooka Bowl, then your straw came out of this bad boy. The long straw holder.

If you ever had a meal at the Bahooka, then your menus came out of these bad boys. The menu holders.

About a dozen of the chains from the Bahooka, including some that held up tables.

Bad boys!

[ Edited by: Fez Moai 2014-03-29 19:39 ]

FM

FM

The last days of the Bahooka.

FM

FM

Tiki Al was just at the former Bahooka and posted some pics on Facebook
of an empty gutted building, there is no sign of Rufus or a 2000 gallon tank
Tiki AL was not able to find out where Rufus is located
anyone have info on what happened to Rufus? he was obviously moved out of the building.

I thought in all of the emails being sent that someone posted that Rufus was being transferred to the owners house while the interior of the restaurant was being gutted. Who knows how that went?
I hope the other fish got some new homes too.

T

My understanding months ago was that Rufus was to be moved ONCE due to the fragile aspects of a new tank. I never heard the owner had a place at his home. There were specific people caring for Rufus there formerly from Bahooka at the site. Anyone know where he is and his condition? I don't want to jump to conclusions but if there is no accounting as to Rufus' health I think the press would be interested in this update!

Ahhh, Bahooka. A little remembrance today with a souvenir menu from my collection

Miss the old gal.

DC

Two variations

I LOVE and MISS BAHOOKA! I first learned about Bahooka when Jack called my Real Estate Office to inquire about a restaurant we had for lease on Whittier Blvd in Whittier around about 1974. I met him there and gave him a tour of the old Bonanza Restaurant which was now closed.
He was sooo cool, kinda of hipster chic. I remember that he would say "Ciao, baby." A Very nice guy!
He was looking for another restaurant location. This was before the Rosemead Restaurant was open.
He was so great, he told me that he wanted me to know what kind of unique restaurant Bahooka was, and so he gave me a Free dinner for myself and a guest at the old West Covina Bahooka on Fransicquito.
I loved Bahooka from the first time I went there. I told everybody that I knew all about it. We went back there over and over again. And so did everybody else that I introduced to Bahooka!
I loved to order the X-3 and a Singapore Sling! The X-3 was a plate with delicious Bahooka Ribs, Shrimp Puffs, and Chicken Wings with 3 kinds of Sauces. Seems like it came with carrots and pickles. SOOOO GOOD!!! Yum! I can taste it now! I also loved their salad with the delicious House Dressing!
The Original Bahooka's on Francisquito was tiny but rockin'! On the weekends there was always a line out the door to get a table. When you went into the Ladies restroom, which was kind of out the back door and around to the left, there were flashing lights, kind of like being in a thunder storm.
Inside the restaurant there were puffer fish on the ceiling, and of course the fish tanks. You could hear that wonderful twangy Hawaiian Style music being played, and interrupted from time to time with a loud speaker saying "now hear this, now hear this, XXXX Party now being seated.
It was crazy, wild, and about the most fun I have ever had.
I Love and Miss Bahooka! What I wouldn't give for that X-3, a salad with Bahooka's house dressing, and a Singapore Sling about now!
I have to say that Bahooka is and will always be one of my favorite places ever!

Aloha All, I'm building the new Pacific Seas Tiki Bar on the 4th floor at Clifton's Cafeteria in Downtown Los Angeles and we're not going to
be using several Tikis from the late and great Bahooka! They will most likely be auctioned off ( non ebay style) on a Facebook page
or what not. I will let everyone know so they can have a chance to get some tiki history. p.s. There will be other stuff from the Bahooka too.
Lots of boats, etc....

On 2016-05-07 07:56, RevBambooBen wrote:
There will be other stuff from the Bahooka too. Lots of boats, etc....

An anti-aircraft gun?

FM

Nice. I went to the Bahooka domain and see that it's for sale:

Is anyone up for a "domain rescue?" :)

I miss Bahooka. Haven't thought about it in a while.

I see that a Chinese restaurant called "Moonlight" opened up in the space last July (2015). From the photos on Yelp, the inside looks completely different. You wouldn't know it was the same place. This is in contrast to the outside which, surprisingly, has NOT been altered much. Even the guns are still in the parking lot, although for some reason they've been painted white. Maybe the UN owns them now.

This is perhaps a sore subject, but did anyone ever find out what happened to Rufus? Just a simple "Dead" or "Alive" will suffice.

FM

The answer is, no one knows at all. unfortunately.

F

A buddy of mine SWEARS he saw Rufus and Elvis having a pina colada at Trader Vic's (London.) His fins were perfect.

FM

On 2016-05-12 17:21, finky099 wrote:
A buddy of mine SWEARS he saw Rufus and Elvis having a pina colada at Trader Vic's (London.) His fins were perfect.

Ahooooooo!!!

Tables like the Bahooka's spotted in a place in Cancun

FM

Nice, the tables are very similar. I bought several of the tables and chains from the Bahooka, but have sold them to another TC member already. The Bahooka chains were bigger and HEAVY! Some were easily over 100 lbs each, no joke. Old chains used in the Navy, I guess.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 147 replies