Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New Tiki Book Set for Release

Pages: 1 2 62 replies

B

Aloha everyone!

We are thrilled to announce the debut of the new book Tiki Quest.

It will be unveiled at Cocktails at the Kona Kai during Exotica 2003 on Friday, August 22. After the Exotica weekend it will be available directly at http://www.pegboardchicago.com/TCintro.html and soon after through Amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com, independent booksellers, and select retro-culture stores. Tiki Central members will receive a special discount off the cover price when they order directly through the pegboardchicago website.

"Tiki Quest—Collecting the Exotic Past" showcases some of the major areas of collecting for Tiki fanatics, including vintage mugs (of every style), Coco Joe's, postcards, swizzle sticks, matchbooks, restaurantware, and the wide range of accessories that are made in the likeness of Tiki. With nearly 200 pages in full color and over 1000 photographs, it's chock-full of Tiki excitement.

Though we could hardly contain ourselves, we waited until now to announce the book because we were superstitious about jinxing it, plus we thought it would make a nice surprise at, and hopefully a fun addition to, the Kona Kai event.

We posted the same announcement in the Events forum http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=5062&forum=4&0 for those who are watching that board for updates on Exotica 2003.

-Duke and Amy

[ Edited by: boutiki on 2003-08-26 14:09 ]

K
Kenike posted on Fri, Aug 8, 2003 7:00 PM

This may be the answer to all my prayers.

Wow Duke, this sounds great! Finally, some more good educational knowledge for Tiki collectors! Can't wait to get mine at the Kona Kai during E03. Hope I can get an autograph from you at some point over the weekend.
Ciao Baby!

Hey Duke,
I forgot to ask if the book will also be availabe at Chef Shangri-La?

S

Sounds marvy! I'll be ready with credit card in hand!

E

Way to go Duke and Amy! You guys know I think you rock already - this is the living proof! I'll be after one of those babies ASAP.

aloha, emspace

very cool! Who is publishing this? Or are you doing it yourself?

Right on. Keep those books coming y'all. We will take all the new information we can get. I look forward to getting my copy.

G

CHERRY, I need one to! can't wait fo see'um

B

On 2003-08-10 22:23, fatuhiva wrote:
very cool! Who is publishing this? Or are you doing it yourself?

Fatuhiva,

After talking with several publishers, a few of which were very interested in our idea, we decided to publish it ourselves. The two main reasons were creative control and finances. The time required and the expenses we would incur did not make the terms we were presented with reasonable at all. Plus, the publishers who were interested did not seem to share our vision of a nice coffee table book packed with Tiki imagery. They wanted us to do more of a collectors reference book and every publisher wanted it to be a price guide, something we were adamantly against. So we decided to do the project ourselves, from beginning to end: photography, design, production, everything. We also felt that with the Tiki community growing larger and stronger everyday (Tiki Central and all its fine members is a perfect reflection of this) it was worth our "betting the farm" to pay for the printing and deal with distribution ourselves. Like we said, we are excited beyond words and can't wait to hear people's response. We hope everyone likes it.

I confess I initially was ambivalent about this forthcoming book when I thought it would be a price guide for tiki, but after hearing that it will be self-published and the reasons for that decision I’m very excited about this book.

K

Speaking as someone that's seen this book before it hit the press, I can tell you it's definitely not another uppity price guide! It feels more like a charming evening spent visiting with Duke and Amy as they walk you through their extensive collection of artifacts, their obvious joy and delight in each piece quite apparent. It sort of bestows that same feeling you might have had as a kid when flipping through the Christmas catalog -- "Ooooh! I wish I had THAT!" -- and makes you wish you'd beaten them to the flea market once or twice...

[ Edited by: kongtiki on 2003-08-11 09:48 ]

T

I'm also glad to hear you made a coffee table book instead of a collector's guide with prices. That's what I love about the Book of Tiki. It's such a pleasure to pick it up and browse through it looking at all the eye candy. I'm looking forward to seeing it in Chicago!

Well it's good to see that Duke and Amy have finally decided to share their extensive collection with the rest of the Tiki world. Can't wait to see the book so I see all that I still need to catch up! Of course by that time you will have that much more and probably be working on the second book. It will help motivate me and the little missus to try and beat you guys to the local flea markets!

On 2003-08-11 09:01, boutiki wrote:
Plus, the publishers who were interested did not seem to share our vision of a nice coffee table book packed with Tiki imagery. They wanted us to do more of a collectors reference book and every publisher wanted it to be a price guide, something we were adamantly against.

Amen!

I'm excited to see a new tiki related book out on the market. Can't wait to get my copy. Thanks for not letting them turn this book into a price guide!

Can't wait to buy one. Looks like a great book....This is about to become a hot topic-NOW! SHAZAAM!

Sounds Awesome!
I'll be standing in line, waiting to get one!
Congrats and thanks are in order.

Wow, that's exciting news!

Watch out for a huge flurry of activity on eBay in the weeks following it's publication...

Trader Woody

I just ordered mine!

I'm looking forward to recieving it. Anyone gotten their copy?

What's all the negativity towards a price guide? I'd actually love to see a "Collectors guide to Tiki Mugs" with prices and photos, so I know when I'm getting ripped off on e-bay!

The book is outsanding. I have been carressing my copy since cocktails at Kona Kai. So glossy so beautiful so chock full of pictures and not too many words (my kind of book);) Everyone needs this!

Just ordered my copy from the webpage!

MauiTiki, to answer your question, I can only speak for myself but, I really hate price guides. To me, the value of an item is relative to the collector, not the person writing the book. And invariably, pricing collectibles changes with the tides. As such, in my opinion, price guides favor the seller and not the buyer/collector and therefore, not helping you save money on eBay.

I know I'll probably get blasted for this but, I believe that true collectors collect with passion not for value. Who cares what someone else says its worth (in their opinion, I might add)? Collect it because you like it. It should be up to you to determine what you are willing to pay for it.

My .12 cents.

On 2003-08-26 08:57, PolynesianPop wrote:
I believe that true collectors collect with passion not for value. Who cares what someone else says its worth (in their opinion, I might add)? Collect it because you like it. It should be up to you to determine what you are willing to pay for it.

My .12 cents.

I'd have to agree very much with Pop on this one. If I bought items to turn a profit, I'd be bankrupt by now!

B

Hey everyone!

If you would like to order a copy of Tiki Quest, please hold off until at least the end of the day. The Exotica weekend really put us behind on finishing the Tiki Quest website. We have been working with Hanford in order to make sure that all Tiki Central members who order a book get a discount and that a portion of the purchase price goes towards supporting Tiki Central. That said, we are working on a banner ad as well as a special Tiki Central order page. This will ensure that Tiki Central folks get the book for $30 (including free shipping) instead of the cover price. We'll make another posting as soon as the correct order page is up and running. Thanks so much for your interest already.

Aloha,

Amy

K

I ordered mine over the weekend for $34.95. I saw the first thread that mentioned TC members would get a discount and I just followed the link. Oh well...

B

On 2003-08-26 12:06, Juno wrote:
I ordered mine over the weekend for $34.95. I saw the first thread that mentioned TC members would get a discount and I just followed the link. Oh well...

Juno,
We will deny your paypal payment and you can resend the discounted price of $30. Sorry for our tardiness with the special Tiki Central order page. We'll get our act together ASAP. Also, if anyone has tried to email us today, we are having problems with our service provider, so please resend it or please be patient untill we receive it. Juno, I'll try and email you this same information directly.
-Amy

K

Mahalo Amy! It is much appreciated.

S

Hey Boutiki...

Stop the apologies. If it's half as good as the teasers on the site you're not charging enough anyway! Can't wait to get mine! Thanks!

T

Could you please cancel my order also, so I can get the TC deal and give credit to Hanford?

Thanx,
TikiPug

[ Edited by: TikiPug on 2003-08-26 16:29 ]

B

No problem Tiki Pug. We'd like everyone at Tiki Central to receive the benifit of being part of the community.

I have the correct order page up now at http://www.pegboardchicago.com/TCintro.html If you order a book, it should take you to a page that says $30 for Tiki Central members and the Paypal option should reflect that price as well.

Thanks for your kind words (thanks spy-tiki!) and patience. We are anxious to hear your response.
-Amy

M

I have to say that I also found it refreshing to see a book on collectibles that wasn't an attempt to drive, influence or control the market on said collectible. I love the book and haven't stopped reading it since last Friday night.

the book is amazing!!!, picked it up at the kona kai event, which was every bit as spectacular as i had envisioned.....also, did anyone else catch duke and amys house on hgtv's extreme homes this past weekend??....truely amazing!!...duke and amy mahalo for the kona kai, the book, and the peek into your house on tv!!

H

I had a chance to read through it on the plane trip back home from Exotica... it is so great. I fell in love with tiki all over again, sincerely. What a book. I'll echo the sentiment that I wouldn't have wanted a price guide -- price guides are for cars. This book is a beautiful tribute to tiki, not a cheap catalogue. Well done!

We would like to take this time to thank our good friends Duke and Amy for bringing such a fabulous book to life. This was a labor of love for both of them. It is by far one of the most educational tools a collector could ask for. It is chock filled with the best of the best. It is just like a visa commercial ... Priceless! You Rock!
Thanx Again,
D&C

M

Just ordered mine from the Tiki Quest website! I've been hungry for a book like this for years. Hopefully I'll be digesting it within a few days. Thanks Duke and Amy for putting this book together! Oh, and thanks also for the TC discount! Mahalo!

ModMana :drink:

K
Kenike posted on Tue, Sep 2, 2003 3:12 PM

Just got my copy of Tiki Quest. What an amazing collection! I've been too lazy to look for these hidden treasures at garage sales but I think I'm gonna start. Thanks Duke and Amy for a very informative and beautiful book!

K
kctiki posted on Tue, Sep 2, 2003 5:41 PM

Tiki Quest arrived in the mail today. It's a real treasure chest. I'm not getting any work done but I've met some great new mugs.

K
kha_o posted on Wed, Sep 3, 2003 7:41 AM

All the good reviews are making me really look forward to my copy of TQ washing up on the shores here in Japan.

J

I got a nice surprise this morning - woke up early and discovered my copy had arrived yesterday and had been stashed on the front porch! The book is beautiful - so many color pictures and great descriptions and details in the writing!!! I couldn't break away until I read it cover to cover! One thing I would have liked to have seen were more pics of Duke and Amy's bar - looks great!

I just received my copy of Tiki Quest in the mail.....

What a cool book!!!! Thanks to the author for pursuing your passion to such a high degree and sharing it with the rest of us in book form. Lots of eye candy.

Thank you for not putting prices in it. I want to collect mugs based on what I think is cool/different/sentimental etc.. If I wanted to collect based on value then I should find a financial advisor and put my money into stocks and bonds.

Great book.

Thanks again

T

Just opened my copy up today!

Question: Can life get any better?

Answer: I submit that it cannot!

TR

The Book of Tiki...
Tiki Road Trip...
Now, Tiki Quest...
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You
:drink: Aloha!

On 2003-08-26 16:32, Humuhumu wrote:
...it is so great. I fell in love with tiki all over again, sincerely. What a book.

Just got my copy in the mail yesterday and I totally know what Humuhumu is saying. Regular thrift store disappointments and eBay bullshit was beginning to take its toll on me. Thanks Duke & Amy -- this book re-lit my fire. Excellent book, tastefully done. Great job!

S
SES posted on Tue, Sep 23, 2003 1:51 AM

Fantikitastic!!!!!!!!!!

Love the book!
:D

[ Edited by: susane on 2004-01-20 06:24 ]

My wife got it a week or two ago (I had it sent to my future SD address) and said the book looks great, with tons of nice pictures.

There was only one "downside":
A couple of days before she got the book, she found 2 Seaworld glasses with Tiki pics on them in a thrift store. She thought they were ugly and passed on them. When she got the book she saw them in it, and was really pissed off she decided not to get them at $1 each...

Ran

T

*On 2003-09-23 08:38, kick_the_reverb wrote:*There was only one "downside":
A couple of days before she got the book, she found 2 Seaworld glasses with Tiki pics on them in a thrift store. She thought they were ugly and passed on them. When she got the book she saw them in it, and was really pissed off she decided not to get them at $1 each...

Don't feel bad. You should buy what you like, not what you think is collectible.

I passed up a Molokai Mike mug by Daga for $1 on Saturday - it's about the ugliest mug I've seen.

But I did score an Islander surfer girl mug for $12. And my buddy Jeff found an Aku Aku moai mug with lid for $8.

TheJab - I agree about getting what's nice in one's opinion...after all isn't everything we folks do is because of our "off mainstream" way of thinking?
I have to admit, though, that since I live in Israel and the wife just moved back to CA, we don't have any vintage Tiki stuff, so I'm no expert in these. But I do know the Moai with a lid mug, and that's a nice one, indeed.

Ran

My copy arrived today. Wahine Marian saw it and we had a bit of a scuffle.

MC

I Love my book too! Thanks so much Duke and Amy!!

ps... the drink stirrers are cute but they attacked my book in transit.

Can I offer my suggestion too? Maybe insert a 2 pieces of cardboard inside the envelope to sandwich the book and make it stay flattened. My mailman in NYC had a field day squeezing, twisting, and turning the package in order to shove it into my itty-bitty mailbox. I much would have preferred if the envelope stayed unbended and picked up at the post office instead. But NYC postal workers are crazy...

I hope that you come back to NYC soon so we can still have a drink sometime! Maybe you need a book signing here??
manic Cat

Pages: 1 2 62 replies