Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Seasons of Tiki Art Swap - DONE!!! Swap results page 23

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 399 replies

C
cy posted on Fri, Feb 19, 2016 1:54 PM

Cheetos and Pepsi? Season of the Munchies, project looks great Mike, well thought out. Also sweet projects from Tiki Ano, Big T and steve!!

TikiAno, I would claim that ulterior motive but the truth is that my original idea was to use those same 4 Tikis in traditional winter, spring, summer, and fall settings.

Cy Pepsi and Cheetos are the patron saints of night shift workers, you missed the bear claw pastry LOL.

10 MORE DAYS I will go though soon and compile a list of those I know are participating along with progress pics, looks like it may be a short list this time.

When you hurry through life, you just get to the end faster.
Pirate Ship Tree House

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2016-02-19 14:59 ]

MadDogMike that sure brought back a lot of memories for me. That was a really cool idea.

Oh no my mind is blank. Is it BigTiki or Mr.Big or ??? You wood craving makes my hands ache thinking of all the work to chip that wood. You and CY and hang10tiki really put your backs into the swap.

Tiki Ano, MDM and I will not injure ourselves with our projects.

This is a fun one, Wendy

Mad Night Snacker Mike-

Wow
Great tiki
Great idea
Great execution of the idea

Now about that thumb
What up?
Did you pinch it in the frame tornado?

OK, I count 11 people who have at least posted a start including 5 who are finished. Here's what we have so far:

Wendy - Finished

Jon - Finished

Anthony - Finished

Cy - Finished

TikiAno - Finished?

AlohaStation - In progress

Lori - In progress

TikiDaye - In progress

TheBigT - In progress

Stevekh - In progress

MadDog - In progress

Anyone else?
While looking back I saw that Erich Troudt had proposed "Maori" as a possible theme and it really struck a chord now. May have to keep that in my back pocket as a upcoming Swap idea. Very "Tiki", wide open possibilties, and something we haven't done yet.

T

On 2016-02-19 14:45, danlovestikis wrote:
MadDogMike that sure brought back a lot of memories for me. That was a really cool idea.

Oh no my mind is blank. Is it BigTiki or Mr.Big or ??? You wood craving makes my hands ache thinking of all the work to chip that wood. You and CY and hang10tiki really put your backs into the swap.

Tiki Ano, MDM and I will not injure ourselves with our projects.

This is a fun one, Wendy

Lol dan. BigT, T, or Roy, all work. :wink:

T

Jon, hahaha

This is getting good....

Mike, Maori is interesting, love how you're getting to the next Swap when this one isn't even done yet. Oh maybe that should make us suspicious???? :wink:

What?
How many days to go?

8?!?!?!?!?

That's bad. I obviously knew how long February is but I don't think I'll get my pieces glazed and fired before then. I'll still try but it's going to be hard. Just wanted to give everyone some notice that I may not make it. Sorry!

My only consolation is I think I actually like my project and won't be broken hearted to keep it. I am sad to not be receiving one of the fabulous pieces you're all doing!

Please don't hate me!

Ano- funny, we posted at the exact same time
Lori- turn up da kiln lil lady, da house, da house, da house is on fire

No ulterior motive Ano, just that Maori would be an AWESOME Swap theme :wink:

Lori I may not be done on time either, maybe we can throw ourselves on the mercy of the group and get a few days extension? Trying to get mine dried on time to fire and glaze without drying it so fast that it cracks. Dried enough by today that I was able to do some sanding. Hope to be able to bisque fire by Thursday or so.

MadDogMike that's a really fun design.

I love a good countdown. Wendy

Mike- me like

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2016-02-22 06:14 ]

T

Jon, nice! and just when i was thinking i was the original "BigT"... :P

T

well, inching closer. here's after staining, leaving the sun unstained:

several coasts of shellac later, with only a couple of wash coats of shellac on the sun:

i didn't like this spot on his right arm. a wood beetle drilled a hole right in the exact place that became his wrist. The picture up at top shows the patched, but unpainted spot. This is the hole before patching:

patched and painted to match:

Oooooooh, I like it!!!!!

T

Mike and Lori, YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ2HcRl4wSk

Mike, just kidding about all the theme choosing, you know.... as long as it's not Disney I'm in... ha ha ha ha. Kidding not kidding. :wink: Your piece looks great, hope it dries right in time for you...

BigT, looks great, wood beetle or not!

And if Jon has started the countdown, it's serious....

Mike, you actually made me feel better! Although I have a lot more glazing to do at least I've started. :)

I think I need to start WAY before the actually swap starts next time. I like the Maori theme! I was glazing today and will glaze every day until it's done but I only have my prep period which is like 40 minutes and WOW does that go fast!

BigT- looks great
Mike- you can do it
Ano- that was freekin awesome
Lori- you can do it
:)

I am desperately trying to make it look like I'm doing something instead of just sitting around waiting for this to dry :lol: It was dry enough to move it outside today. With temps in the 80s that should help.

I'm going to officially submit my excuse for running late this Swap :D My dad has a Parkinson's type illness (Multiple System Atrophy) that is rapidly making him weaker. My brother and I started a bedroom remodel and a 2 room addition on his house last August that includes a large handicap bathroom. My brother has the construction know-how, I just provide the free labor LOL Starting at the ground up, we have done everything except pouring the slab (framing, sheetrock, trusses, roofing, plumbing, electrical, tiles, etc)- it's kinda taken all my free time for the past several months. First picture is from this past November and the second picture is the same view yesterday.

Getting really close to finishing, hopefully within the next few weeks. EXCITED!!!

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2016-02-23 15:16 ]

Lookin good Mike
Lots o work

Here's the latest pic
I saw on a different post

Nice Jon LOL

Last night I messaged Mike to tell him I was sure I was out of the swap since the kiln was being fired this morning with the last 2 classes projects and I wasn't done glazing. I contemplated begging my art teacher friend to wait one more day but then realized even then I probably wouldn't be able to finish. :( I was pretty sure all hope was lost.

Then this morning as I was still thinking about it I remembered my original monochromatic idea. So when I got to school this morning I slapped some black glaze onto my tiles and wiped them down taking most of the brown and green that I had already glazed.

So far, so good. Then I chose one color of glaze for each of the tiles and put on 3 coats.

The load is being fired as we speak and will be opened tomorrow. This will either be the most brilliant idea I've ever come up with or a hot mess. If it's atrocious I'll be out but at least I've had gone out in a blaze of glory!

Thanks so much for all your support. I really felt the love, seriously!

T

On 2016-02-24 06:49, LoriLovesTiki wrote:

The load is being fired as we speak and will be opened tomorrow. This will either be the most brilliant idea I've ever come up with or a hot mess. If it's atrocious I'll be out but at least I've had gone out in a blaze of glory!

Lori, don't you mean a glaze of glory? :P

T

Mike, wow, looks like a ton of work you've been up to, for a very good cause/ reason. Jon, funny stuff.

Lori, awesome! It's, as they say, up to the kiln gods now. May they shine upon you (and your tiles) the kindest possible high temperatures. :)

Hopefully the top glazes you used are not opaque and the glazes underneath will look great underneath! Excited to see the results. I've also learned (for myself) that less can be more when it comes to glazing! (Okay, Wendy may disagree with me on that one, but for her, she's correct. For my attention to detail glazing skills, it works for me. :)

Hopefully this year's leap day is helping those who are finishing up!

WHOOOHOOO!! Go Lori!!!

I put mine in the kiln this morning on low with the top propped open to get it completely dry. Hope to bisque fire tomorrow :D

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2016-02-24 09:45 ]

Lori- Good job
Mike- fire it up
Kiln- be kind to Lori and Mike

Thanks! I will have to wait one more day to find out if my glazes are too opaque. My friend forgot to turn the kiln on during first period so he's doing it first thing tomorrow. Good news is I'll make sure to remind him and I'll still know before the weekend if it's a success or failure.

I like the "Glaze of Glory!" We shall see.....

Mike, great job on your Dad's addition. When I'm working on a home project NOTHING else gets done so you're doing great!

I too, am praying for kindness from the kiln god, for me & Mike!

T

hang in there, Mike and Lori! :)

Mine's done! Here's the final pics...

Big "T"
Very Kool Bruddah

Nice Big T! So glad you decided to join us for this Swap!

LoriLovesTiki you really did some fine work. I sure hope they turn out.

TheBigT very good, carving wood is the hardest of all to make it work and you did!

MadDogMike I hope that your dad finds comfort in both the easier bathroom but in being surrounded by all that love.

hang10tiki you are a great decorator!

So close now. Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2016-02-25 05:47 ]

Into the kiln today for probably the 1st of 3 times. Did some underglazing - the purple, orange, turquoise, and white "devolution season" is going to be HIDEOUS!!! :lol:

While you are waiting, here is a music video about "revival" to fit in with the design of my mug :wink:

Mike- sweeet

Just sitting around waiting to see who I swap with

Ummmm
Hello
Still waiting

Still waiting

LOL

hang10tiki do you remember what you are waiting for? LOL, Wendy

The Seasons theme kind of threw me for a loop. I had about 10 different ideas and finally settled on this one. I kept thinking about what seasons would a native islander encounter in the tropics and how you they view them (not Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter)? I settled on Hot, Early Evening, Windy, and Rainy - so they are represented on the disks. The god is juggling them. If you follow my thread then you know I just recently bought a wood burner. Well of course I was gonna use it on this! Still figuring it out , but this is my first official piece using the wood burner. I may add more accents to it, and will post a good shot over the weekend.

Aloha- aloha.
The piece came out great, good twist on the theme.

So... I was going to swoop in at the last moment, but I never quite got inspired by the "Seasons of Tiki" thing. And so this guy is both really generic and did not turn out nearly as well as I was hoping - I should have done multiple layers:

(Still needs an extra layer of papier mache anyway.)

And so I'm staying out this round. This can be an emergency backup in case someone's swap goes awry like last time.

Aloha, that is so AWESOME! I love the juggling concept LOL
Joshua, I am always amazed at what you can make out of cardboard. Is it too late to add another layer(s) of cardboard to add depth? Then come up with some tie to "seasons" and you're good to go :wink:

Mine survived the first round of firing. Stayed up til 11:30 last night to make sure the kiln. I SO need an electronic kiln controller :lol: I got one for Christmas that isn't working right but that's a story for another day.

Next will be glaze for the outside background and the inside and fire again. Then details/washes on the Tikis and a final firing

T

Big T, awesome work, glad you joined in, too!

Aloha, very cool take on the theme, dig it. Juggling + tiki = uncharted yet awesome waters.

Jon, 2 Sculpins + other BP? Hope you took it slow. I haven't seen the pineapple sculpin, dang, when did that happen? :wink:

Joshua, always super impressed by your paper mache (or, "papier mache"??) creations. If you shake some salt and pepper on top of your finished piece, think it will fit right in! What?

Mike, awesome! No sleep for the glazing. Wow, crazy progress- and love that you can't wait until it looks HIDEOUS! (hee hee).

In honor of Jon's countdown.... (sorry for the pre-commercial):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU4pyiB-kq0

and

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 399 replies