Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Lantern umbrella picks-- still available anywhere?

Pages: 1 2 81 replies

T

Origami Maniacs 95: Beautiful Japanese Umbrellas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LhnsefJEN8

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2016-05-18 15:20 ]

T

Made some different styles of Lantern umbrella picks guess this is as good a place as any to post them.

Thanks Bam Bam for posting the ones from eBay as they gave me some good ideas.

Those are pretty amazing Skip!

Now you just have to mass produce them :wink:

H

I got these for Mother's day gift from World Market.

Hey Skip, Regarding your latest creations, my wife says “how cute”. I say way cool!
Cheers

T

"Now you just have to mass produce them"

Thanks and I can't help but think of the people in some far away land that
make things like this for a living as I make these.
but in order to sell them as cheap as they do they need to pay them next to nothing to the worker and I'm sure they are paid by the number they make, pennies a day.

But they are fun to make if your life does not depend on it.

Thanks nui 'umi 'umi cool or cute I'll take it.

Making a small Skip float version.

I saw those too hiltiki did you see the Ice skewers they had got those while we were there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ice+Kabobs+Ice+Cube+Tray&oq=Ice+Kabobs+Ice+Cube+Tray&aqs=chrome..69i57.1497j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=Ice+Kabobs+Ice+Cube+Tray&tbm=shop

Those umbrella creations of yours are fabulous Tikiskip. I'd need to work with a magnifying glass to do my own.

I did want to add that the cheapest place I've seen umbrellas recently is Walmart, 144 for 4.79 and free pickup: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tropical-Drink-Umbrella-Picks-144ct-Assorted-Colors/35761331

Read your tutorial on the different sized umbrellas. Nice, thanks for all the pics. Didn't see anything on the poles. Were they bamboo skewers soaked for a long time and simply shaped? Do they just stay that way or do you have to keep them positioned to dry that way. Soaked many of them for grilling but never played with them.

[ Edited by: Polly_Nesia 2016-06-05 18:28 ]

[ Edited by: Polly_Nesia 2016-06-05 18:42 ]

BB

Oh man, those a superb!

I was thinking of other "exotic" things you could use as a hanging garnish like that, and miniature Chinese good luck knots came to mind:

And sometimes (for prosperity) they even get tied into the shape of pineapples!

T

Sorry to take so long getting back to you Polly_Nesia, great name by the way.
There has been this bright thing in the sky for days now, I think people in California call it "the sun" does not happen too often here so I was outside in this thing "sun".

It is grey and rainy today we know of "grey and rainy"
Grey and rainy Suck.

"Didn't see anything on the poles. Were they bamboo skewers"
No, the bamboo skewers Won't bend that well you need to get rattan from Franks cane and rush.

Will show how to do the napkins soon.

Bam Bam those are cool they would work well.

Here are a few more I made, not to worry these are the last for a while.

¤(¯*•.(¯*•..TIKISKIP..•*´¯).•*´¯)¤

Lights for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

Keep em coming Mister Nimble Fingers. Great stuff!
Cheers

BB

Boom! Thread resurrected!

I decided that since we're having a 1960's Christmas Dinner this year we should have some 1960's garnishes along with our drinks. It's too late to search for and order proper lantern picks, so it's time to make some!

In this version it comes down to removing the pick from one cocktail umbrella and re-attaching it to the underside of another.

Then all you have to do is hang it from a boiled and bent skewer. Relatively simple, if a little finnicky.

Kool
Ya made me thirsty

Those turned out great Bam Bam!

Look great!

H

Nice job.

Bam Bam, you could make a simple jig out of a piece of wood and a few short dowels for those bent picks. Boil/steam them and place in the jig to dry, you could make several at a time

BB

Thanks, all.

Mike, that's essentially what I did. I didn't have time to fabricate a jig so I ended up clamping the hot skewers around the corner of a big plank of oak. I'm definitely making a jig if I need to bend more in the future.

Here's a pic (of a pick) in situ with a Fog Cutter from last night's party:

Nice!
I like the Asian Love Knot ones on the previous page. May need steal that idea for my South Korea themed Olympics Party in February.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2017-12-18 10:57 ]

T

Hey check this out Valentines day Cocktail Umbrellas.
looks like this seller has 29 other types of Cocktail Umbrellas too.

Cocktail Umbrella/Happy Valentine's Day/Drink Umbrella/cupcake topper/ cake topper / party pick/ Party Decor

https://www.etsy.com/listing/676980751/cocktail-umbrellahappy-valentines?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=valentines+day+cake+pick&ref=sr_gallery-4-26&organic_search_click=1

BB

Found them on Alibaba!

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Assorted-Lantern-Party-picks-15-cm_60472965013.html?spm=a2700.7724857.main07.14.232a1586iyasmR

But oh my, at a minimum order of 5,000 bags, that's a lot of picks. There's GOT to be some retailer out there who carries these, if they're still being manufactured...

Huh. Sometimes goods that are only available in huge bulk from Alibaba can be had in more reasonable quantities on AliExpress, but I'm not having any luck with this one. Obviously, they're still being made, but it seems that restaurant distributors are the target market.

T

Here's a new one.

T

Here's a different one I made for Christmas...

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2019-12-06 17:47 ]

I like it Skip!!!

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Mar 23, 2022 7:46 PM

The Kon-Tigo Tiki Bar has brought back lantern pick recently, and they're very nice.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/927938607/chinese-lantern-angle-pick-25-pack

T

Hey, cool thanks for posting those Hamo. I got mine commin.

But almost 36.00 bucks to my door. Was thinking you could make a three tier one of these with maybe a small one on the top and bottom and the regular size in the middle.

That would lend itself to all kinds of holidays like red white and blue for the 4th, and black and orange for Halloween.

I collect all kinds of drink garnishes and even Cake picks of all kinds for Halloween, Christmas Etc... Love that cheap party stuff that people used and then threw it away.

But as it is with most things the old fragile stuff is getting more rare and costly.

H
Hamo posted on Sun, Mar 27, 2022 8:26 AM

Well, if $25 seems too pricey, then I don't want to tell you the price I paid when I bought them. All I'll say is that they've had a significant price cut....

T

Yeah, I have seen that too but when you add $10.00 bucks for shipping f-ing bamboo sticks. Check the price for somebody to ship these to you from China, it's like less than a dollar most times. Never could figure that out.

Remember the huge wood crates they used to pack things in, damn you could not afford the shipping on one of those crates empty these days.

But they are cool.

BB

Woo! Next paycheck, I know what I'm splurging on. Definitely the 50-pack, as who knows how long they'll be available...

Nice!!! I just ordered some for me :D

And yes, they are a bit pricey after you add shipping but they are reusable for the most part. If your guests don't shed them, you can rinse the bamboo in some antibacterial soap and use them again

T

The ones I got above are the same ones I think from the same seller and get this they are sold out of the 25 pack but have the 50 pack. It's the same guy he could just spilt the pack it's not like it has a header or anything like that.

BUT the 50 pack is a better buy I would have got that had I seen it, or it was available.

I got my order of 100 picks. Should last until the big dirt nap. 👍

Pages: 1 2 81 replies