Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Tony Von's Hawaii, Indian Rocks Beach, FL (restaurant)

Pages: 1 5 replies

H

Name:Tony Von's Hawaii
Type:restaurant
Street:
City:Indian Rocks Beach
State:FL
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
Not sure if there was even any Tiki at this place but it sounds worth looking into.

H

From a 2002 "Florida Tiki" thread:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=34&forum=1

On 2002-03-29 19:04, Kailuageoff wrote:
Rumaging around various antique stores today, I found a swizzle for a place called "Tony Vons Hawaii Night Club", Indian Rocks Beach. Those in the know will recognize this address as the former home of Tiki Gardens. Anyone ever hear of this joint? BTW, the stick is black with an oval top embossed with a gold hula dancer. Kinda nice.

H

A quick internet search pulled up a 2011 obituary on Blanche E Rocha, where we learn that she and her husband Antonio Rocha co-owned Tony Von's Hawaii.

http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Blanche-Rocha&lc=4681&pid=155127700&mid=4927153

ROCHA, Blanche E., 86, of Merritt Island, FL and formerly of Indian Shores, FL, died Dec. 18, 2011. Blanche was born in Fort Ashby, West, VA and moved to Florida in 1951. Blanche moved to Indian Rocks Beach, FL in 1964 where she co-owned Tony Von's Hawaii with her husband, Antonio " Tony" Rocha who died in 2004. She was also preceded in death by her son, Richard Shannon in 2009. She is survived by her sons, Thomas Shannon, Merritt Island and Tony Rocha, Jr, Redington Beach; p daughter, Vivian Cambensy, Oceanside, CA; brother, Joseph Kesner, Barrie, Ontario, Canada; sister, Wenona Kesner, Cumberland, MD; 2 grandchildren and 3 great grandchildren. Viewing will be from 1-2 PM Friday with a Celebration of Blanche's life to follow at Moss-Feaster Funeral Home, Largo, FL. Burial will follow in Serenity Gardens Memorial Park.

Any intrepid explorers could probably learn more about Tony Von's Hawaii by seeking out some of the people listed above, or searching "local" newspaper archives.

[ Edited by: Hakalugi 2016-03-19 09:24 ]

J

Tony Von's opened up in Indian Rocks Beach as Tony Von's Mambo in 1967. They changed their name (and probably theme) in the early 1970s. I don't know when they closed, but they were located at 401 Gulf Blvd, where Crabby Bills has been since 1983.
They were not (I repeat NOT) associated with Tiki Gardens or located on the site.

Thanks Jon!

From that address, here's what the location looks like today:

Born 1962 Grew up about 2 miles from here. They must have closed mid 70's? I don't ever remember it. Remember Tiki Gardens down the road a little though! One of my all time favorite places from my youth! Have a decent collection of stuff! Would love to see some photos of Tony Von's Hawaii Night Club!

Pages: 1 5 replies