Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Maori Art Swap - Oti! (finished)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 294 replies

T

Wendy, great stuff! The crystals look great. Just so that you know, I did NOT use any crystal glaze on my swap piece (especially since it will be fired to cone 6 and the crystals don't quite do what they're "supposed to" at that temperature. :)

Very impressed that you can match the name of the glaze with the Swap theme. Show off. :) :) :wink:

I'm hoping my bowl gets fired before the Swap deadline. People haven't been super productive at the clay studio, and I'm on their firing schedule! There's plenty of time, though... I hope.

Put the club in the kiln in 2 pieces yesterday and took it out this morning in 3 pieces! :lol:
Hopefully it will all go back together with some Magic Mend

C
cy posted on Sun, Jul 10, 2016 3:11 PM

Looking good Ano, Wendy you are a fountain of knowledge, just don't dip your brush into that shot of rum you got goin' there.

MADDOG MAORI UPDATE - First, I love having a small kiln. It's big enough to make (almost) anything I want and small enough to fire for a buck or two. I fired it 3 times this weekend and again tomorrow. Friday, I bisque fired the broken war club. Saturday I touched up the glaze on the Taurapa mug and refired it, it is now done and ready to go. Sunday I put some Magic Mender on the club and fired it again, it seems to be repaired. I have glazed it to the color of New Zealand greenstone (pounamu) and it is ready to fire again tomorrow.

What is that in the background of the pic? Looks like a Maori hue (bottle gourd) - I wonder what that could be for? :wink:

I finally stained my piece. Gave it a rough treatment with a stiff brush and a rag. Wanted it to come out weathered and worn...

Looks AWESOME Erich!!!

C
cy posted on Tue, Jul 12, 2016 8:18 AM

Looks superb gents!

MadDogMike you are the only person who ever told me about Magic Mend. I've never used it for such a huge problem but I have filled to pesky tiny airbubble holes that show up once in awhile. You are a wizard with this stuff.

ErichTroudt such a beautiful piece of art. May I carve that on a mug one day?

cy is that what's called a shot glass? I thought it was a glaze glass. I use them every day when glazing.

Great Art, fun swap ahead. Wendy

It was a valiant effort but I am starting to lose hope for my Maori war club. Besides the obvious break it has some glaze skips. I will re-fire the glaze skips and try the break one more time with Magic Mender.

What is this? A gourd wrapped in saran wrap and masking tape? Hmmm.......

Part of the gourd layered in papier-mâché

Papier-mâché separated from the gourd. The plan is a carved gourd, the papier-mâché will serve as a stencil to mark a repeating motif on the gourd prior to carving.

This double spiral thing is complicated! It may exceed my math skills :o :lol:

T

What can Mike be cooking up next????? Mike, I know the War Club can survive! You're a magician, as Wendy says, at working your magic, so I look forward seeing the results, even if the War Club takes a bit of a beating, still pretty good looking to me.

Erich, killer piece. Lots of beautiful work and creativity happening in this Swap. Mike, thanks for another good one. I'm just hoping the bowl ever gets fired- not owning a small kiln (like Mike), I'm forced to wait for other ceramic artists to make stuff to fire. Stay tuned.

MadDogMike glue it with glaze instead of the magic mend. I've glue volcanos into bowls that way. You have to same this it is beautiful.

The next project looks fun. Wendy

T
TU posted on Fri, Jul 15, 2016 6:33 PM

Here is my piece just finished. It is painted using 1 Shot pinstriping paint on Masonite so it should be weather resistant. Hope it is Maori enough. I weathered it so it has the old look.

My phone can't upload a pic that is vertical. I'll try again tomorrow.

"Be excellent to each other!"

Arg...I just saw my pic didn't load. Sorry about that...

I finally got it loaded!!! It is amazing what I can accomplish with coffee.

[ Edited by: TU 2016-07-15 18:34 ]

[ Edited by: TU 2016-07-16 07:39 ]

Can't wait to see it TU, does it have a flamingo? :wink:

T
TU posted on Sat, Jul 16, 2016 7:44 AM

MDM--I tried to work a flamingo-esk type line into it. That is almost more of my signature than my signature.

So I have been thinking...what kind of tiki drink goes along with the theme? Any suggestions?

I like it, plenty "Maori". The flamingos are subtle but recognizable. I might not have seen them if I were'nt looking for them. No clue for Maori drinks...

Things are looking bleak for the War Club Lamp. Pieces of glaze continue to flake off in sharp shards. I have ordered some green bake-on enamel (Porcelaine comes in pens now Wendy!) but it needs to stop flaking off glaze or it's a safety hazard to ship to anyone :(

TU that's what I call Maori! I am very fond of tongues on tikis. Good job.

MadDogMike I fought those shards on a Tiki Bob bowl. I finally after 4 firings had a perfect bowl. I sat it on the hood of our car turned around and it slid off to the concrete floor. Goodbye bowl. I wish you better luck.

Show a photo of the pen when you get it. I've never even heard of that brand.

Cheers, Wendy

After a slow start we are starting to get a plethora of finished projects :D I will try and do a compilation of pics to show where we are at this point.

Finished my coasters, they will be an add-on to my swap piece.

ONE MORE MONTH TO GO!!!
Looks like this is where we stand for participants. Let me know if I missed anyone
Also let me know titles for your pieces if they have one

AnthonyMaye
Wood Block Painting

Cy
Bone Chest

Hang10Tiki
Carving

Will Carves
Pendant

TikiAno
Bowl

Wendy
Mug

TU
Painting

Erich Troudt
Carving

MadDog Mike
Taurapa Mug

Kia Ora Coaster Set

Maori Sheep Skull :lol:

Kotiate Lamp

Carved Gourd Hanging Lamp

Pukana Gunpowder Painting

T

TU looking great. Mike, wishing you the best on the Club.

I'd say go with Wendy's rec to use glaze to get it to stick together, that's saved me before. If that doesn't work, there's always Groucho Marx's line: "I don't want to belong to any club that would have someone like me as a member..." :wink: :wink:

Update: the Maori bowl has yet to be fired, so might as well start on another piece to see if it can get finished in time!

Wow
Everything looks GREAT

I'll be working on mine over the next few days

C
cy posted on Wed, Jul 20, 2016 7:58 AM

Digging' the coasters Mike, nice work Tu and Ano! Working this week to complete mine, will post progress Sunday.

Well the concept was good but I think technical difficulties will prevent it from happening. Got the 4 pieces epoxied together and the threaded rod epoxied in too. But it continues to shed shards of glaze. Oven bake paint pen will be in today, we'll see what happens. You were right Wendy, I should have molded and cast it, would have eliminated most of my technical problems.

C
cy posted on Wed, Jul 20, 2016 9:11 AM

That looks fantastic Mike!

T

Great line-up of Swap pieces, wow.

Mike, your finishing percentage is looking pretty darn good, even with the lamp not working- (it's a gorgeous piece, though!)

I have no progress to report on the bowl getting fired. I figure with month to go, should be enough time. For now, the glaze is quite dry and ready to go.

Since there's some time to kill, I started on a small hanging tile. I used a recycled/ "pugged" clay, which is pretty wet. Will work on it a bit after the weekend. So far it looks like this:

Any idea where this is going?

HONGI!!!!!

Still working on the lamp but it won't be Swap-worthy. The bake-on paint covered the glaze chips sufficiently (slightly different color) but there is still the issue of the visible cracks and a large glaze defect at the top. Looks like I will finish it up and keep it. Need to varnish the base then apply the postage stamp to the base and varnish it on. Then the wiring.

I saw that someone had voted this thread onto the "Cool and Current" list so I voted it to the top (for now - until Chris or Kirby see it there :lol: )

Great stuff all

Mike

C
cy posted on Sun, Jul 24, 2016 2:19 PM

Another week and "Bone Chest" will be complete. I thought the cherry would be great for carving but it proved me wrong... I ended up doing most of the small facial features with a Dremel, as the wood was very chippy using only carving tools, but I figured that's how the ancients did it, right?

You know there is a place for ancestor's skull.

The base of this branch has interesting design.

Very cool Cy! I was hoping you would put in a skull holding chamber.

T

cy, that's awesome. Can't wait for you to send it to San Diego. :wink:

Okay, miracle of miracles! Part 1 of the Swap is done. But first, here's the current state of the Hongi tile. It's now waiting to be bisque fired then will (hopefully) be glazed and fired in time. It's approximately 4" x 4".

The low Maori bowl has been glaze fired. The interior looks a lot better in person than in the photo, will try to take another photo. Here are some starters. The exterior is supposed to look like traditional weaving while I went a little off-type for the interior. It was thrown on a potters' wheel, then carved. I left some of the exterior left unglazed for a more traditional feel.

What a great page of art. So sad about the lamp it is really beautiful.
Cy what a unique piece and a lot of work.
TikiAno that looks like it came from an archaeological dig in New Zealand.

and to all those whose photos are up but whose names have slipped my mind,,,outstanding. Love the aging on the wood panel.

Cheers, Wendy

PS hang10tiki where's the countdown?

Ano that looks great!!!! :o

Wendy, isn't is a bit early for a for a countdown? :lol:

Oh WOW! It isn't too early!!! LOL

T

Whoa! I thought the deadline was closer to Oasis, guess not! Okay, the hongi tile will most likely NOT be done by then... but ya never know.

T

Here are a few other shots of the interior of the bowl. The glaze firing made for some pretty cool effects, see all sorts of new things when light is reflected. Hopefully the recipient digs it!

Wicked cool TikiAno!

C
cy posted on Fri, Jul 29, 2016 8:10 AM

Nice Ano!!

Tiki Ano it looks like water. Nice effect. Wendy

Cy and Ano- Awesome.........

I have the 3 days off
So time to get-er-done

Countdown soon Wendy :)

I'm on the beach in Mexico this week with very limited internet access and I LIKE IT! :lol:
Will be back on the 6th and we should be set for the drawing on the 7th :)

Mike- have fun

Here we go

T

Bonus "Hongi" tile project might (MIGHT) be glaze fired in time. Today came out of the bisque firing.

First...

brush on the underglaze...

then sponge off the underglaze...

Then add gloss clear coat.

Now waiting for it to be glaze fired. Fingers (noses) are crossed that it will get fired in five days?!?!?

Ano- Kool
I like that color

Had some bad results today with my wood burner
Not expected
Hope I can salvage my piece
Crapppppp

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 294 replies