Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Maori Art Swap - Oti! (finished)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 294 replies

T

Jon, Noooooo.....

all I can say is... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qztuEucrNBc

That's not good!!! I'm with TikiAno - you can do it!

C
cy posted on Thu, Aug 4, 2016 9:42 AM

Time to break out the blow torch Jonny.

Thanks guys
The idea was to burn designs on forehead, chin, and sides of nose.
Attempted nose 1st,
Not sure why but it didn't work (at all)!!!!!!!

Ended up removing sides of nose
Scrapped the design ideas

So just leaving it as is
Sorry
Not what I wanted

Will post pics when gloss dry

If u guys want to kick me off the island I'll understand

If I had more time I'd make something else

:(

I just love these countdowns!!! Thank you hang10tiki

So sorry to hear about your burnt nose. That's worse than all the runny noses I've just had trouble with. I bet you fixed it good enough for trading.

Tiki Ano you have turned into MadDogMike with your extra project. Now I'm feeling lazy.

Cheers, Wendy

Thanx Wendy
We will see

NO ONE GETS KICKED OFF THE ISLAND!!!!! :wink:

ONE MORE DAY TO GO!!!
Looks like this is where we stand for participants. Let me know if I missed anyone
Also let me know titles for your pieces if they have one

AnthonyMaye
Wood Block Painting

Cy
Bone Chest

Hang10Tiki
Carving

Will Carves
Pendant

TikiAno
Bowl

Hongi Tile

Wendy
Mug

TU
Painting

Erich Troudt
Carving

MadDog Mike
Taurapa Mug

Kia Ora Coaster Set

Maori Sheep Skull :lol:

Almost done

C
cy posted on Sat, Aug 6, 2016 7:45 PM

Better late than never, here are the final shots. Thanks Mike!

Looks awesome Cy!

Cy- ya hit it outa da park Bruddah

Done, sorry the wood burning didn't work out like I had planned

Caaaaaaaaaaaan Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Here Me Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel! With all this fun art I'm ready for the Swap!!!

Thanks for the countdown hang10tiki. You saved your man, yippie.

Wendy

Busy day for me today, just back yesterday from 2 weeks in Tahoe and Ensensada, MX - just in time for my daughter and I to put on a Brazil themed Olympic party tonight (pics later :wink: ). So I'll do a quick and simple post now and make it pretty later :D

Final count is 9 Swappers this time so the last 3 swap in a "circular" fashion

Wendy and Erich Troudt
Cy and TikiAno
TU and AnthonyMaye
MadDog gives to Hang10, Hang10 sends to Will Carves and Will Carves sends to MadDog

Thank you all so much for participating and for making such great art! Looks like we should get at least a few exchanges at Oasis

Woo Hoo, first time to trade with Eric. I love that panel. Thank you MadDogMike for a fun swap.

Eric I'm sending you my shipping info on the PM page. Super excited to get this art. Cheers, Wendy

Awesome
My second Mad Dog piece
:)

Master Carver Will
PM me your info sir

C
cy posted on Sun, Aug 7, 2016 1:25 PM

Super happy with the way this swap went, thanks again Mike for hosting this gala event, be seeing many of you soon at Oasis!

T

Mike, thanks once again for organizing! What a great swap.

Excited to swap for my first time with cy (in person at Oasis, even better!!)

Re: the hongi tile, it will definitely be glaze fired before Oasis- I will post photos when I first get it, then will bring it to cy along with the other piece (and some other goodies, too).

Look forward to seeing everyone with their new art.

cool. Thanks MDM for heading up the swap

Thank you mike and tu I will send it out today or tomorrow thanks can't wait to see it hanging in the house

Here's a recap of the Swap all pretty :D

DanLovesTikis
Mug

:up:
:down:
Erich Troudt
Carving

Cy
Bone Chest Carving

TikiAno
Bowl

Hongi Tile

TU
Painting

AnthonyMaye
Wood Block Painting

MadDog Mike
Taurapa Mug

Kia Ora Coaster Set

Hang10Tiki
Carving

Will Carves
Pendant

MadDogMike

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2016-08-09 12:56 ]

(double post)

[ Edited by: maddogmike 2016-08-09 12:55 ]

T

While I think this was fired before the Swap names were chosen, but I wanted to post the finished "Hongi" wall tile. cy, this is going to you, whether you like it or not. :) It's slightly abstract, the noses can be seen as noses or as part of a landscape. I've always been a fan of the personal Maori greeting.

It's approximately 4" square, w/ a hangar on the back. There's a thin gloss coat, which didn't quite come out in the photo.

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2016-08-08 15:30 ]

C
cy posted on Mon, Aug 8, 2016 4:56 PM

Looks great Ano, I love abstract design and have a spot " picked" for it, but don't expect a traditional Maori greeting from me.

Turned out great TikiAno! I updated the picture above and on the Art Swap History thread.

T

Thanks MDM and cy!

cy, you're going to leaving me hongi-ing? :wink: :wink:

Now I suppose it's time to figure out when/ where to do the in-person Swap at Oasis???

I will probably only be at Oasis on Saturday, can we do in late morning/early afternoon?

Ano- looks Kool

Mike
See you sat at Oasis
Can't wait to see da mug

Will-Shipped mine to ya today

Cheers all

My mug (and some cool extras pieces) arrived today from Wendy. Very Happy. I put it on the shelf with some other maori pieces.

Thanks Wendy, (your piece should arrive Friday) and thanks again MDM for heading up the swap.

Nice, 1st one landed
Looks right at home...

Ours has arrived. We love it, thank you Erich. Wendy

Temporary home.

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2016-08-12 20:56 ]

Awesome..........

T
TU posted on Tue, Aug 16, 2016 3:18 PM

My cool art from Anthony is here!!! Thanks for the great painting!!

T

Love watching Art Swap pieces finding their new forever homes...

Met up with the Mad Dog at Oasis for da swap

Look what the pieces came in

Da bonus coaster set

And the Mug

Thanks Mike
Great to see you
It's awesome

So good to see you and Janelle, along with Wendy and Dan. I missed Cy and TikiAno though :(

T

Mike, I'm not sure how you came and went and we never saw each other! Jeez Louise. Bummed but hope you come back West for a visit.

I was able to see Wendy & Dan, cy, and Jon a bit- well, not enough time with any of them, of course. cy and I swapped pieces on Saturday at his booth at Tiki Oasis. Man, if you haven't had the opportunity to see his work in person, it's truly breathtaking. I love stalking his carving thread but really dig seeing all of the creativity and amazing carving skills in person.

I have yet to finalize the best location for his Art Swap piece in the home bar (Oasis schwag not yet unpacked), so I'll post the photos that Jon graciously took. I'll post a photo of the groovy Frog Island Tikis t-shirt, too!

This greeted a number of visitors to cy's booth:

Here are cy and I posing post-Swap (I'm wearing one of Wendy's Hula Tramp Stamp necklaces):

Jon, thanks for snapping the photos. Mike, thanks for another great Swap, even though you avoided us Swappers at Oasis... :wink: (just kidding)!!

What a great Tiki Oasis. Being surrounded by friends is just the best ever. This swap was fun too. I'm already looking forward to the next one.

You guys rock!!! Wendy

TikiAno, I just stopped by for about an hour and a half so it was easy for us not to connect :(

Hey I have an idea! Each year Tiki Oasis has a theme (this year was Monster Island) maybe we can make next summer's Art Swap the same as the TO theme? I will admit some of the TO themes have been kinda lame and not very "tiki" but at least we can consider it.

T

Mike, if it's Disney themed that I may not participate... :wink: :wink: Ha ha ha.

Well, sorry I missed you, Mike, anyways...

I hear they're recycling the Spy theme from 2 or 3 years ago? Or maybe that's a rumor... ??

I'd vote to keep the Swap different from Oasis- though it's a bit more work, it will keep the Swaps more "original" and creative focused. Okay, this is pretty much the same argument I used re: Disney. Good to be consistent, though, right???

Besides, I like hearing what everyone comes up with (and by "everyone," I mean "Mike") :)

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2016-08-24 09:44 ]

:lol: :P :lol:

so did everybody send and receive? No slackers?

Yeah MDM, start getting on the next theme... I have a killer idea for the matchbook theme...but don't let me sway your thinking...but matchbooks would be cool...lol

Erich

Did I mention Matchbook theme would be cool?

I sent out a couple of PMs today to make sure everyone got their goodies but I think we are good.

Hey, I've got an idea for a Swap theme - how about matchbooks? :lol: Erich, make sure you bring it up when we start talking about the next Swap

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha, you guys are so cute. Wendy

PS how about a match book theme

T

I'm in just as long that it's not Disney matchbooks.

Heheh.

C
cy posted on Wed, Aug 24, 2016 8:04 PM

I am happy to be back in Oregon but I had a fantastic time at this years' Tiki Oasis and a lot of the fun came from visiting friends I have met through Tiki Central. Here is my cool ceramic pieces from Ano, I enjoyed getting to talk with you a while David!

The postman was good to me today :D

It's BIG and looks GREAT - thanks Will

I think everyone has received their Swaps, just waiting for Will and Anthony to post pics. Let me know if we are missing anyone?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 294 replies