Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Maori Art Swap - Oti! (finished)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 294 replies

Anthony- killer bruddah

Oh boy, so much fun and artistic Maori art on the way. I better start thinking of my project. Wendy

Look what I got, GUNPOWDER SAMPLES!!! :lol:

You going to explode your glaze in the kiln? Scary, Wendy

I wanted to explode my kiln controller Wendy but I think it's OK now :lol:
Don't worry, the gunpowder is for a non-ceramic project :wink:

C
cy posted on Fri, Apr 29, 2016 1:10 PM

I have many sample baggies like that also MDM, but I have never heard it called "gunpowder".

Cy- thanks
Just spit out my water

They call it "gunpowder" cuz it'll blow your mind!
:lol: :lol: :D :lol: :lol:

[ Edited by: maddogmike 2016-04-29 15:36 ]

So I saw a video of someone "painting" with gunpowder. The lines and shading are carefully done with gunpowder and then lit on fire! Sounds like my kind of art :lol: Can be done on wood, canvas or even paper. Gunpowder comes in different textures (granule shapes & sizes) and different burn rates, so I found a friend who reloads rifle shells and got some samples.

I have a specific Maori theme in mind, want to see if gunpowder works over oil paint next

The mind runs wild! Yours not mine. You rock the art world. Wendy

I need to get or make a sand mandala tool, anyone know a Buddhist monk? :lol:

EDIT - it's called a "chakpur"

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2016-04-30 17:19 ]

Umm
I know a handful

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2016-04-30 19:38 ]

OMG Jon!!!! That literally made me laugh out loud!!!

Now that was a really wonderful video to watch. However I think I got even more joy from the photos that hang10tiki just posted. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhm! Wendy

T

Anthony, looks great.

Cy, I agree with Jon, cracked me up too.

Jon, you funny.

Mike, you magician of art, don't blow anything up, but I look forward to seeing your latest creation.

I've been MIA from TC for a bit, came back to all this good stuff. Still have yet to make into the clay studio... better hurry up on this or I'll NEVER get done.

C
cy posted on Mon, May 2, 2016 2:19 PM

Killer H10, I feel enlightened and also handsome in orange.

Probably 20 years ago my wife and daughter went out of town for a week. My son, who was about 10 at the time, and I went to pick them up at the airport. We draped ourselves in orange sheets, put on skin-head wigs and met them in the baggage claim (sorry, no pictures are known to exist). My wife was not amused at all, she hissed "YOU GUYS TAKE THAT STUFF OFF RIGHT NOW!!!" :lol:

I found an inexpensive brass chakpur and ordered it today but it's coming from Bulgaria and won't get here for 3 wweks :(

Mike- awesome story

T

Okay, if all this talk of small plastic bags, gunpowder, Bulgaria, and travel times is code for something, I would like all authorities to know that I know NOTHING about this.

Nothing. Nathan. Nada.

On a side note, I may steal your idea re: monk dressing in a few years. Amazing. :)

TikiAno, since you are familiar with SD airport I will fill you in on the rest of the details: This was in the pre-TSA days when you could meet your party at the gate. We carried our costumes in a backpack and got dressed in the waiting area at the gate. There were some people there, they figured out it was a joke. After waiting about 30 minutes and the flight hadn't arrived, I inquired at the desk. They told me the plane arrived early and we should find our passengers in the baggage claim area. Now we had to walk through the middle of the busy terminal dressed like Hare Krishnas! I heard one little boy behind me ask his father "Daddy, what's wrong with that man's head?" LOL

I've wondered that before too Mike :lol: :wink:

:)

Gunpowder works well over oil paint too. The plan is do an oil painting and use gunpowder for accent lines :wink:

MadDogMike the most creative person I've ever met. Hugs, Wendy

I don't use gunpowder often,
but when I do I paint

T

Mike, I think collectively we all can wonder what's wrong with "that man's" head! :wink:

Just kidding, love it.

Okay, I finally got back to the clay studio. I'm inspired by a photo of traditional Maori weaving that encircles a piece of pottery- I started by throwing some clay. Just remember, I haven't done anything on a potters' wheel in a while, but thought, "why not?"

Maybe this answers that question...

It didn't look anything like I wanted it to, so I tried again...

This is more in the realm- though it will require a bit of trimming (I know, the top of it stinks, but that can/ will be fixed...)

Now I wait for it to dry out a bit.

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2016-05-09 16:21 ]

Looks good TikiAno. I took a swing at the wheel and it was an epic fail! :lol:

Tiki Ano you are doing better than I did at the end of a college semester of potters wheel. I'm looking forward to seeing what you create.

For the Maori Swap due in August I decided carve a Maori head on a mug and on the back to carve THE MAORI as if it is a bar.

Done and drying. What color should I glaze this mug? Suggestions appreciated. Wendy

Ano and Wendy- u be kickin some serious clay
Lookin good

Very detailed Wendy, beautiful! I vote for pounamu color, New Zealand greenstone.

Look what I got in the mail from Bulgaria yesterday (that was quick, 10 days). Now I need to try different gun powders to get the right grain size

That is so cool. You should end up in the Guggenheim with your art. Wendy

Go Mikey go

Hmmm, not much activity in this thread. Almost June! :(

One odd man out

MadDogMike that's some fine carving. What does the word mean? Wendy

"Kia ora is a Maori language (known as Te Reo) greeting which has entered New Zealand English. It means literally "be well/healthy" and is translated as an informal "hi" at the Maori Language Commission website Ko orero Maori. It is also used as a farewell and thanking someone as well."

Wendy, the outside tan part is underglaze that has not been clear coated so it is porous. My plan is that these could be used as drink coasters, the porous part should soak up the the condensation from the drink.

Mike- u rock

Lil more

C
cy posted on Mon, May 23, 2016 8:34 AM

Tiki Ano and H10 great starts, Wendy unreal!! I have my idea, now to get into production mode.

What a great coaster idea MDM.

hang10tiki way to go.

Cy to you think it will happen to us again?

Cheers, Wendy

Lookin' good Jon. Ready to see what you come up with Cy.

Thanks all

Cy - get it on Bruddah

T

Wendy, WOW! That's all I can say. So I'll say it again. WOWWWWW.

Jon, looking great.

I finally made it back and played with the clay a bit. The shorter (and larger) bowl is working better- the smaller bowl was too thick and not good enough for the Swap.

The bowl is inspired by a Maori bowl that has traditional weaving tied around the vessel. The original that I found (will post photo later) is smaller and more gourd like. I started carving the weaving today and cleaned up the bottom and sides. Still a work in progress. Thinking about possibly adding a center piece in the base of the bowl to make it a "drinking" bowl- maybe two noses engaged in a hongi? Hmmmm....

May start on a different project, too- since there's some time want to see how this one turns out.

TikiAno that's looking very professional. Wendy

I like it TA :D

Ano- I could fit quite a few ZombieZ in there
I'm just saying

T

Let the bowl firm up a bit more, then carved more...

I was tempted to put two noses in the center of the bowl to represent a hongi, but think I'll leave that for another (back-up?) option.

Very cool. I like that carving tool too

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 294 replies