Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Lili-Kai Club of Metro Detroit

Pages: 1 2 3 4 158 replies

On 2017-04-26 09:16, hiltiki wrote:
Really like that display cabinet,would love to find one like it.

Indeed, I'd love to have a second one!

Got the lighting and decoration done. Pretty happy with how the corner turned out.

Great work you guys looks like you are ready for business!

Scored a vintage 60s barrel table set off of Craigslist for cheap. Had a new top made for the table by The Underwood Shop on Etsy. Kept the legs off the table to make it a coffee table.

Got this used barrel off Craigslist from a master brewer in Ann Arbor. The barrel was an old Heavens Hill Whiskey barrel that they were using to age beer. I'm turning it into a rum display. Had some display cards made for our featured rums and liquors.

Vintage Chinese tiles, aquired from TradrBill on Etsy. Light can still shine through when we open the windows.

Got some art lighting from Ikea. Taped off part of the LEDs so as to dim the lumens.

Also shown here - our vintage suitcase display, still a work in progress. It will show a couple returning from Hawaii in the late 50s. It sits on our old coffee table right now.

New tattooed octopus carving, bought from Jason Joffe. Carved by an unknown carver in Bali.

Added a couple of float and cork lights from Trader Pup's Outpost.

A Mystic Pearl lamp by Trader Pup's Outpost.

Started adding brass nameplates to the artwork. They are engraved by Artist Title Plates on Etsy.

Stop by our home bar, The Lili-Kai Club.

[ Edited by: Jeff Bannow 2017-09-13 07:15 ]

Moved the story board to behind the bar, and added a Coco Joe's "Praying To Tiki God Lono" piece.

New light fixture, made by A Frame (Anders Anderson.) Bottom is vintage 30s tapa, sides are vintage 70s tapa and rattan, with a palapa top.

H

Great work looks very inviting.

Wonderful. I was excited to see your octopus as I am buying one from Jeff later this year. CHEERS

Very good re-purposing of all your items. The bar looks great.

On 2017-06-03 18:14, VampiressRN wrote:
Wonderful. I was excited to see your octopus as I am buying one from Jeff later this year. CHEERS

Very good re-purposing of all your items. The bar looks great.

Thanks! We love the octopus - very cool carving.

Finally found the permanent home for this coconut lamp, carved by Will Anders. Shade provided by Target, leis provided by Hilo Hattie.

Carving from the island of Palao, marked "From the Government and People of the Republic of Palao, June 1986 by J.L.K."

Outrigger canoe shelves by Beave's Tikis / Chad Davis..We love these shelves!

I've looked through all of your posts, and your space is just great. Thanks for sharing :)

I might be in love with those shelves!

On 2017-06-24 20:57, Piddersthecat wrote:
I've looked through all of your posts, and your space is just great. Thanks for sharing :)

I might be in love with those shelves!

Thanks!

The shelves are great, and can be ordered here if anyone needs some:

https://www.facebook.com/beavestikis/

Not affiliated with the seller, just a happy customer.

Need? ...I'm not too sure I care about need when it comes to those lol

Awesome tiki bar!!! Let me know if you give free tours :) I'm up in Saginaw. We built an outdoor tiki hut, The Drunken Parrot which I posted about.

T

Truly amazing to see the transformation from your earliest pics. You have serious VISION! Keep it up. :)

On 2017-08-08 08:53, BlondieBoomBoom wrote:
Awesome tiki bar!!! Let me know if you give free tours :) I'm up in Saginaw. We built an outdoor tiki hut, The Drunken Parrot which I posted about.

Thanks! Definitely welcome to stop by for a tour and a drink (or two.)

On 2017-08-08 12:24, tikitube wrote:
Truly amazing to see the transformation from your earliest pics. You have serious VISION! Keep it up. :)

Thank you! It continues to be a really fun project to work on.

What: Glass Release Party!
When: Saturday, 9/30/2017 from 7pm-late
Where: The Lili-Kai Club
https://www.facebook.com/LiliKaiClub/
Cost: Free, but if you want to take home a glass, the cost is $10

We are going to celebrate the release of our new custom Mai Tai glass for our home bar, The Lili-Kai Club! And we would like you to come and help us celebrate.

We will provide drinks for the evening, alcoholic and non-alcoholic, along with some light snacks. And should you like a souvenir from the event, glasses will be available to take home for $10.

Please RSVP ASAP to let us know if you plan to attend.

Hope to see you all there!

[ Edited by: Jeff Bannow 2017-09-01 08:25 ]

We added some color changing LED rope light, to highlight the bamboo installed on the bar surround.

Before:

And after:

Before install:

After install:

And this is what we used to do so:

Along with some plastic clips, a 12v power supply, and a 12v to SMD 5050 controller.

Looks great! Those LED tape strips make a huge difference to a bar build. Surprisingly affordable as well. I've got a couple of 'em ready to install as soon as my build progresses a little further. Ain't technology grand?

Some more additions!

Added an Ikea Jassa lamp, with a cheap LED bulb in it from Amazon. The lamp was on clearance (score!)

New artwork - "How To Kill A Hula Girl" by Candy Wild. This is a canvas giclee reproduction.

A custom serving platter, handmade by our good friend Jen! Thanks Jen!

And some fake potted plants that fill in the window cavity very nicely.

And, last but not least, and amazing custom velvet painting and matching mug from the unbelievably talented Wendy Cevola!

On 2017-09-06 11:48, Prikli Pear wrote:
Looks great! Those LED tape strips make a huge difference to a bar build. Surprisingly affordable as well. I've got a couple of 'em ready to install as soon as my build progresses a little further. Ain't technology grand?

Sure is! I'm going to put a little trim around it down there so you don't stare at the LED strips directly when sitting down at a table or some such. Such an easy addition to the room though, and it really helps.

Picked up a August Holland "Pearl of Wisdom" print for a song on Craigslist!

And, a couple of new treasures from Will Carve (Will Anders). The top item - a coconut shrunken head ...

and an amazing palm frond tiki!

Also scored this fish shaped story board from the island of Palau (via eBay.)

And finally, an overview of all the treasures hanging in their new home.

A pair of mug lamps, handmade by Jason Shelfow. A moai mug ...

and a (Tiki Farm / Bill Collins) Nuku Nuku mug lamp.

And a bamboo birdcage, found for cheep on Craigslist.

Just some recent overview shots.

Barrel chairs and table! The Wife and I were just looking at an old Sears or Montgomery Wards catalog online, circa 1977 or so, and they had an entire line of barrel furniture for sale. Wow. I'm envious. Wish I had access to something that retro cool now!

On 2017-09-06 14:41, Prikli Pear wrote:
Barrel chairs and table! The Wife and I were just looking at an old Sears or Montgomery Wards catalog online, circa 1977 or so, and they had an entire line of barrel furniture for sale. Wow. I'm envious. Wish I had access to something that retro cool now!

Yup, that's probably the same set we have here. The coffee table had a melamine top, and legs to make it dining table height. We replaced the top and kept the legs off. They do turn up on Craigslist from time to time.

Love the bar lighting! And the watery blue lighting on the walls -- is that an led bulb on the ground behind the bar?

On 2017-09-06 17:46, mike and marie wrote:
Love the bar lighting! And the watery blue lighting on the walls -- is that an led bulb on the ground behind the bar?

It is! It's a Gemmy blue Fire and Ice bulb. The "water" moves around as it is on. Pretty cool effect.

Finally caught up with progress shots! Here's the new booth that we installed last night.

Loaded into my friend's full size conversion van ... it took every bit of space and some Tetris level packing to fit.

Installed, with the original laminate top.

And mocked up here, with a smaller 21" top for cocktails only. This is the size it will be, but with a top matching the coffee table previously pictured.

T

Amazing build! You've scored some wonderful items on Craigslist. And the lighting adds so much...just wonderful!

Sweetness! I absolutely love that booth. Long-term plans are to have a booth like this at the far end of my covered patio. Several years ago, The Wife found a very cool one just thrown away in an alley near her old photo studio. She grabbed a model she knows and got some quick shots before going to a booking. She was going to get me to pick it up, but by the time she returned it was already gone. Missed opportunities, and all that.

My digressions aside, you have put together a fantastic tiki paradise. I am very impressed.

H

Just beautiful, so inviting.

On 2017-09-07 07:39, tikitube wrote:
Amazing build! You've scored some wonderful items on Craigslist. And the lighting adds so much...just wonderful!

Thank you!

On 2017-09-07 08:14, Prikli Pear wrote:
Sweetness! I absolutely love that booth. Long-term plans are to have a booth like this at the far end of my covered patio. Several years ago, The Wife found a very cool one just thrown away in an alley near her old photo studio. She grabbed a model she knows and got some quick shots before going to a booking. She was going to get me to pick it up, but by the time she returned it was already gone. Missed opportunities, and all that.

My digressions aside, you have put together a fantastic tiki paradise. I am very impressed.

Thanks! Keep your eyes on Craigslist - they do turn up. Took me about 2 years to find the one I wanted.

On 2017-09-07 08:47, hiltiki wrote:
Just beautiful, so inviting.

Thanks!

Got this model boat at a local antique market. Talked the owner way down from ridiculous money to something reasonable.

The light above was donated by my good friend Tom. He removed it from his family room during a remodel. I rewired it and put 2 nightlight bulbs in it - perfection!

Also relocated the paintings next to it - wanted more color on this wall it make it a bit more inviting. Big improvement.

A couple of additions:

Somehow, we forgot to show this amazing mug that Wendy Cevola made for our bar! It's a passion fruit with a wave cresting over it, a play on our bar's name. (Lilikoi is passion fruit, and kai is ocean.)

And two small model ships, donated by Eva's aunt. They needed a little repair, but will make a welcome addition to the decor.

Rewired this swag lamp for over the booth. Need some more lamps in there yet.

On 2017-09-10 08:27, Jeff Bannow wrote:
A couple of additions:

Somehow, we forgot to show this amazing mug that Wendy Cevola made for our bar! It's a passion fruit with a wave cresting over it, a play on our bar's name. (Lilikoi is passion fruit, and kai is ocean.)

AH! You're the one who got that awesome passion fruit mug! I love passiflora, and passion fruit as well. Very, very nice!

AH! You're the one who got that awesome passion fruit mug! I love passiflora, and passion fruit as well. Very, very nice!

Indeed! We love it - quite the mug.

Guess what arrived on my doorstep today!!!

Looks promising ....

New custom glassware!

They came out amazing! You can see the two color options I chose - green and blue, and green and purple. (Shown here full of milk for visibility purposes.)

The glasses were made in America, and printed in America too.

Big thanks to Humuhumu for writing the blog post that started my glassware journey:

https://news.critiki.com/2015/09/06/how-to-get-custom-glassware-for-your-tiki-bar/amp/

Thanks to Robert Jimenez for the amazing glass design:

http://zerostreet.com/

And finally, thanks to Gene McDonald at South Pacific Promotions for holding my hand through the whole process:

http://www.southpacificpromotions.com/

[ Edited by: Jeff Bannow 2017-09-15 20:08 ]

Finally got the window covers replaced. We have 2 glass block windows that pour in light during the day. Can't have that!

I had previously shoved some cardboard up there to block the light. It helped, but didn't look great, and light still came in through the cracks.

So, I carefully cut some masonite to fit into the two windows, and then used brown caulk around it to seal it in. Now, no light can get through at all!

Our good friend Kirk gave us an amazing gift - this octopus bar spoon! Looks to be handmade, very detailed, and the perfect fit to the theme of our bar. It will go to good use. Thanks Kirk!

Made by Perry Gargano - "The pieces are hand built, and cast locally in Brooklyn."

https://www.perrygargano.com/collections/home-decor/products/octopus-stirer

[ Edited by: Jeff Bannow 2017-09-19 05:30 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 158 replies