Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

To build your own bar or not?

Pages: 1 16 replies

D

Those of you who have a bar in your homes, did you build it yourselves? Or have it built to your specifications by someone else? Or, just buy it already built (vintage or new)?

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2003-08-14 21:37 ]

S

Our current bar Kiliki found at an antique store about 2 miles from our house for somethign like $60.

Built ours, but a six footer.

Just do it!

(Nike??? Wana sponsor me?? Nike Tiki Bar by Bamboo Ben. HA! That would go over well in this community!! )

T

I was lucky in the fact that when we bought our house the owner left a ton of wood of various types, sizes, etc. A lot of this wood was sitting on a 8 foot wooden shelf. I took that shelf and trimmed off some pieces then all I had to do was order my thatch, bamboo trim, and a couple other items and within two Saturdays my bar was completed. I advise that all people should build one themselves even if there is no experience in doing such.

I loved building mine, every second of it, as I'm sure with all the other TCers will tell you the same. You have the best support staff right here (TC) at the click of your mouse, these people here are the pros and I have learned a lot from them and you will too.

P

I have the ultimate method for building a tiki bar:

Mix a pitcher full of Mai Tais...

Call your friends that have tools and skills...

Promise them an Awa ceremony upon completion...

The Lagoon Lounge is almost complete using this technique. We've had about 8 "work days" which consist of drinking and swimming and 2 hours of work.

If my cash flow allowed - it would already be finished.

To recap:
Mai Tais
Friends with tools
Promised party when completed

My wife Sally and I just completed our bar last month. It's a classic '60's boomerang shape. The body is bamboo (2" splt on the sides and 1" bamboo & lauhaula weeve on the front). The bar top is birch with shells, starfish, sand dollars and Oahu north shore sand scattered around on top beneath four layers of epoxy resin. We purchased all the materials (and some tools) at Home Depot and Solai Bamboo. I think our total out of pocket expenses were about $200.00. And with the material we had left over we built a really cool mug shelf (similar to the one on the cover of Beach Bum Berry's Intoxica). Any thirsty TC'ers who find themselves down San Diego way are welcome to stop in for a drink.

I lucked out on materials, too. When we moved into our house the kitchen backsplash wa all sliced stones set in acrylic (hand made by a previous owner). We hated these panels as a backsplash, but the largest one, nearly 7' long ad 3' wide, made the perfect retro bar top. I see the same technique in lots of older bars, and I bet they cost a prety penny when they were new. Mine was free with the house. All I had to do was build a bar around it. Since I don't have a lot of cabinetry experience, I built it the only way I know how - like a house or a deck. Several very large people could dance on it without causing any damage (they'd have to be short large people, though, to keep from damaging the far less sturdy thatch roof.

Use your imagination - I believe anybody can build anything if they have the patience and desire. I have an attachment to my bar that I can't imagine having if I'd bought it.

Actually I had been shopping around for a used bar for months & as my available cash I had set aside for the purchase dwindled, a freind of mine suggested I buid my own bar. I told him my wood working skills were a little weak & he loaned me a book called PAD by Matt Maranian (a do-it-yoursef book for home decorating). We didn't really follow the instructions too closely but it did provide a good source of information, inspiration & motivation. A total DIY attitude set in and that and a many hours of hard (but enjoyable) work got the job done. Also there's a lot of other great projects in the book that are worth a look.

I have that book, I forgot about the instructions in it. I am surprised that people who bought their bar or had it built haven't posted. I better go find my Pad book, and get started!

M

On 2003-08-19 10:43, DawnTiki wrote:
I have that book, I forgot about the instructions in it. I am surprised that people who bought their bar or had it built haven't posted. I better go find my Pad book, and get started!

Or you can always find an existing bar, buy some bamboo, mat material, a couple of old hula skirts, tiki masks and a string of old Xmas lights....
Then get really creative (Staple, glue, nail & Drill).

I used to have a bar in my living room, spare bedroom and garage.
Since then, I have donated all but one to friends.

Go forth grasshopper...

I bulit my own its a bommerange type too the top is a surf board .I took two and fiberglassed them together and its preaty kool .sides are wood and bamboo, thatch is in there too the top I air brushed a beach scene on top and the board is yellow.

I bulit my own its a bommerange type too the top is a surf board .I took two and fiberglassed them together and its preaty kool .sides are wood and bamboo, thatch is in there too the top I air brushed a beach scene on top and the board is yellow.

M

I am in the process of bulding my own. I had to for 2 reasons, (1) ready made bars are too much $$$ and (2) I have a small apartment and I needed a very small bar.

Beleive it or not, I started by using a very cheap IKEA book shelf as the base of the bar. I added cheap particle board to make the front and sides and a nice piece of birch for the top. The IKEA bkshelf lets me have adjustable shelves. I also built an "in-set" shadow box into the front where I'm going to feature a tiki mask with a small light on it. Now all I have to do it put the bamboo and matting finishes on it.

I strongly recommend building your own, you can get it exactly as you like it. I will post photos of the finshed product soon.
MARK

"I started by using a very cheap IKEA book shelf as the base of the bar. I added cheap particle board to make the front and sides."

Until you have a "real Tiki party" and someone stands on it (like Crazy Al) and it goes "Kurplunk!" Don't go to cheap! Use real wood. Trust me.

Having no carpentry skills or equipment, I was fortunate enough to hire Nels of tikizone.com while he was still making bars. Absolutely fantabulous job, and he drove it down to Birmingham from Chicago for me!
If you go to tikizone.com and click on "portfolio" ... that's my bar. The 3 types of tikis below it are in my tiki room too. Since getting it I have covered the top with old hawaiian postcards and put glass on top of that.
I used to have a bunch of pictures of this place online... I need to put them back up.

Are you atheist, agnostic, deist, pantheist, transcendentalist... Meet people who share your interest in rational religion in your town.
http://universist.meetup.com

Pages: 1 16 replies