Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Cap'n Crafty McGrim's Crimson Cutlass Tavern and World's Inn

Pages: 1 2 90 replies

Ahoy, Me Hearties!

Tis I, Capt'n Crafty McGrim, a simple lurker for a long time here.

Having been a renter with very little room, not to mention being in the Navy gave me less room (I often lived aboard ship, to save money), a Tiki/Pirate bar has been just a dream.

But after carefully saving me doubloons over the years, my circumstances finally changed enough to allow me to pilfer a new lair of me own.

So thusly armed, I decided to open an account here as I've the space to finally build me Pirate's dream Tavern.

"Cap'n Crafty McGrim's Crimson Cutlass Tavern and World's Inn"

First my location:

I live in the New Orleans area. Tis Very Piratey indeed.

Me Lair/House's location has a dock and direct access to the Gulf of Mexico. Allowing myself and various pirate brethren to come and go in the dead of night for dark and dangerous purposes.

The other reason for the getting a dock is because currently I am in the process of getting restoration work done on my three masted frigate (it's currently out of country in dry-dock) a fine 60ft steel hulled sailing vessel of 37 tons -will get photos up sometime late next year when it's much more presentable.

Aye so it will eventually be berthed here at here at the "Crimson Cutlass Tavern and World's Inn", savy?

Location, I plans to build me Inn here, set upon a new a second set of moorings over the the dock.

It will be a 2nd floor, elevated deck level upon which The Inn itself will sit, overhanging the dock itself and provided easy access to my Vessel while in port.

Currently the idea to use this Home Depot Shed type to sit on the currently nonexistent 2nd level and be the base for the inn itself after much remodeling of course.

As of right now I just have some concepts and have never done anything like this before... after all I be a pirate and I just made my ship's carpenter walk the plank last week.

So I thought I would take me quill in hand and chart myself a log here.

I do this in order firm up my dark and sinister plans and receive some mentor-ship from the good brethren here, that I might complete me task in a timely and semi-coherent manner.

Right now still currently in the process of moving in this but should be done by mid Feb. I am stuck in a Rental lease and am waiting for it to expire.

So will keep the thread updated with the move and begin with small things like my attempts to learn Tiki carving, of course, the ongoing Inn building, updates on my ship's restoration progress and eventually sailing up it here from South America to it's berth at the World's Inn.

Arrh!!!!

Since storms are common here in the Gulf I may be replacing the shrubbery also with non invasive Black& Blue Bamboo along with Buddha Belly Bamboo. I think it sort of sets the stage for what will eventually be the Inn in the back.

I want to Thank everyone for all the years of enjoyment of looking at Tiki central!

"Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and hull and a deck and sails. That's what a ship needs. But what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom." -Captain Jack Sparrow

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2017-01-06 01:46 ]

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2017-01-06 01:49 ]

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2017-01-06 01:59 ]

Ok beginning to dig around for Ideas for the Bar...
I like this idea/concept, except with more Tikiness and not quite as elaborate.

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2016-12-11 07:38 ]

Oh dang
This will be fun to watch

Cheers

W

Instead of buying a pre-fabbed shed type of building, you may be able to find a local handyman who will frame you up a similar size building, but with more architectural promise, like a steeper roof pitch. This may not cost you much more than buying the pre-made building, depending on who you find. A large protruding ridge beam is not too tough to do, and adds dramatic impact, island style. Nice start to your thread sir. I would think you may have a little tike bar on board your vessel as well.

On 2016-12-12 06:48, W8N2Surf wrote:
Instead of buying a pre-fabbed shed type of building, you may be able to find a local handyman who will frame you up a similar size building, but with more architectural promise, like a steeper roof pitch. This may not cost you much more than buying the pre-made building, depending on who you find. A large protruding ridge beam is not too tough to do, and adds dramatic impact, island style. Nice start to your thread sir. I would think you may have a little tike bar on board your vessel as well.

Thanks for the suggestion! I will look into that. I like the idea that it gives more flexibility to the build and get more of an architectural pirate look. I want it to stand out to passing sailboats, having sort of that "Pirates Of the Caribbean" look to people on the Disney boat Ride.

I will give some thought to having a second Tiki bar on the Ship. Thanks again!

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2017-11-26 14:36 ]

T

There is a good smallish bar on this page you could copy...
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=43640&forum=20&start=195

And on the "non invasive Black& Blue Bamboo" My wife got some of that and it runs, bamboo just goes everywhere so take care where you plant it.
Me I would not plant it there, Horsetail rush would look good too and can be managed with more ease.

Good luck, and welcome to TC.

On 2016-12-12 07:17, tikiskip wrote:
There is a good smallish bar on this page you could copy...
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=43640&forum=20&start=195

And on the "non invasive Black& Blue Bamboo" My wife got some of that and it runs, bamboo just goes everywhere so take care where you plant it.
Me I would not plant it there, Horsetail rush would look good too and can be managed with more ease.

Good luck, and welcome to TC.

Oh Damn that is a seriously nice bar! Will remember that about the Bamboo.

UPDATE: The first house deal fell through.

The owner didn't want to make repairs and this is a VA Loan so Repairs are required.

However have made an offer on an equally nice house with an awesome dock of which I would own 70ft into the waterway. This gives more than enough room to build the bar over the waterway and still have plenty for my sailing vessel.

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2017-01-06 01:47 ]

Ideas, would like to copy what the fantastic craftsman that is creating the Hulu Sue bar is doing...a moon showing through the ceiling.
Except, instead of bamboo, ship's planking maybe. Wonder if I could put a computer monitor and use a pc moon/skyscape Wallpaper.

From Hulu Sue Thread:

I fight in the SCA (medieval re-creationist, like the civil war reenactors)

So plan to hang my weapons in the bar.
Working on my Rapier/Katana currently lacquering the scabbard.

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2017-01-03 00:10 ]

Started searching for lights. Found these at Home Depot.

Next week the new house gets inspected
Have decided to do the project in phases.
Will start by building a small Tiki/pirate Bar on the main deck to experiment with.

Going to have a pier repair/construction company to get a quote for placing pilings for the final project, since the World's Inn is to be sitting out on the water. The property extend's seventy feet out into the canal, so I have plenty of space to build.

In the meantime will work on the Main deck bar to get a feel for what I am doing.
Starting to draw up sketches.

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2017-01-06 01:40 ]

Loving the potential! And 70 feet out into the water??? That's gonna be killer! Question for you, any idea what the item number is for that Home Depot fishing globe light? I can't make one that cheap, but also didn't see it listed on their website (prolly user error on my part). And they never have cool stuff like that here in the Ohio stores (don't even get me started on the Tiki Diablo offerings that weren't available east of the Mississippi - grrrrr). Thanks!

On 2017-01-06 07:36, LoungeShark wrote:
Loving the potential! And 70 feet out into the water???

I think he means he has 70 feet of waterfront. I could be wrong, but building 70 feet out into the channel looks like it'd be a serious navigation hazard.

But yeah, I cannot wait to see how this project turns out. Epic may not be too strong a word. :wink:

Loving the potential! And 70 feet out into the water??? That's gonna be killer! Question for you, any idea what the item number is for that Home Depot fishing globe light? I can't make one that cheap, but also didn't see it listed on their website (prolly user error on my part). And they never have cool stuff like that here in the Ohio stores (don't even get me started on the Tiki Diablo offerings that weren't available east of the Mississippi - grrrrr). Thanks!

Yep 60ft of water front and 70ft OUT into the canal. So lots of room to build. I will go back to Home depot and get the number for you.

On 2017-01-06 08:50, Prikli Pear wrote:

Loving the potential! And 70 feet out into the water???

I think he means he has 70 feet of waterfront. I could be wrong, but building 70 feet out into the channel looks like it'd be a serious navigation hazard.

But yeah, I cannot wait to see how this project turns out. Epic may not be too strong a word. :wink:

60ft of water front and 70ft OUT into the canal, although I wont build out that far. Like you said I think that's just asking for trouble. I think the canal is 250 ft across, the photograph doesnt really show the distance. But still why risk anything? Thanks! I hope it will turn out well. I will do a bar on the main deck first as sort of a test project. :)

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2017-01-06 09:08 ]

Hi, ok I figured out where the globe is from. I found it at Lowe's Hardware.
Here is that and some tiki statuary I found (Solar powered Tiki)

There it is! Found it! Those are pretty small, aren't they? (that's what she...). And it doesn't come with electrical, so yeah, maybe it's not the best deal out there. Oh well. And funny on those solar powered tikis....those they do sell up here from time to time. Back in the early days, I would purchase those and spray paint them a wood colored brown in hopes of taking the "cheesiness" out of them. One of these days, I'll just have to try carving some tikis myself. I know it's not easy, but at least I can maybe get some quantity of different types and sizes...even if I can't get quality out of them. Keep posting updates. Can't wait to see what your mind is imagining with all that space (and jealous, too!).

I've been keeping my eye on those solar tikis at the local Lowes here for the better part of a year. They're ceramic and come in three sizes $29, $39 and $49. The largest is about 3' tall, the smallest a bit larger than a shoebox. I kept waiting on them to be discounted and placed on clearance as the summer ended, because they're way too costly at this price point. Alas, they marked all the other garden statuary 50 percent off in October, but those solar tiki statues remain at full price...

60ft of water front and 70ft OUT into the canal, although I wont build out that far. Like you said I think that's just asking for trouble. I think the canal is 250 ft across, the photograph doesnt really show the distance. But still why risk anything? Thanks! I hope it will turn out well. I will do a bar on the main deck first as sort of a test project. :)

Holy moly! That's a lot of area to play with, regardless!

Repairs are being done on the house. We close Mar 15th. We should be moved in that week hopefully.
In the meantime bought a Dremel and a worktable.

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2017-01-28 10:57 ]

Still amassing equipment, so far looks like we will be in the house next month closing date is Mar 15th.
Bought a bunch of stuff all still packed up for the move mostly.

Jamming to "La Femme" and starting to work on planning the garage workshop. I can't wait to get started.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNQ_3TCnAyw&t=1520s

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2017-02-02 18:24 ]

Got some Tiki/Pirate stuff.

Waiting on the Tax Lien against the house to get cleared so we can close on the house and move in.

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2017-04-16 05:34 ]

July 3rd. We Closed on the House! After Seven Months of Dealing with crazed heirs (Seven of them) and the house having a tax lien that the heirs tried to foist off on us.

But all has been cleared up and dealt with!

We signed the paperwork and got the keys to the house!

Will start moving in tomorrow!
Starting to look at where I will build the initial bar.

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2017-07-04 07:58 ]

S

Very nice!!!! Having just gone through a (fairly simple, actually) house purchase and closing, I feel your pain. This should be a fun thread.

On 2017-07-04 08:37, Staredge wrote:
Very nice!!!! Having just gone through a (fairly simple, actually) house purchase and closing, I feel your pain. This should be a fun thread.

Thanks! I hope it will be!

Congratulations, man! I know you've been working on landing this little gem for months now. To be so close and yet so far has to be frustrating, especially when you're at the mercy of other people holding things up. But it is yours now! I can't wait to see your bar build progress!

On 2017-07-04 18:39, Prikli Pear wrote:
Congratulations, man! I know you've been working on landing this little gem for months now. To be so close and yet so far has to be frustrating, especially when you're at the mercy of other people holding things up. But it is yours now! I can't wait to see your bar build progress!

Thanks we have been moving in and I started work on what will be my woodworking shop. :)

Beginnings of the woodworking shop in the garage. We are still moving in but got this stuff set up. Put in a much needed air conditioner in the garage. It's New Orleans in late July. We are on the same latitude as Singapore. Unbelievably hot and humid.

Set up my main working table here and put up lights.

Out in the backyard Started replacing some of the planks of the deck where Tiki Prototype Bar #1 will be set up also begun staining the deck.

Here is where I'll Build "World's Inn and the Crimson Cutlass"
Up on the still nonexsistant 2nd level.

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2017-07-22 07:47 ]

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2017-07-22 07:57 ]

Here is where Pirate Tiki Bar Protoype#1 will be built. You can see where we are starting to replace and stain planks.

Early morning, at my dock having breakfast and where I will build the "World's Inn & Crimson Cutlass" on the yet nonexsistant 2nd level.

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2017-07-22 07:49 ]

Worked on getting the Woodworking shop more organized. Added a pegboard tool organizer, the first of several.
Before:

After

Some more staining and sanding of the deck.

In the corner here will be where Tiki Test Prototype Bar #1 will be.

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2017-08-06 15:02 ]

Looking forward to your build. Lot's of potential. CHEERS :drink:

I too will be eagerly following your build! Your location is killer. Can't wait to see how it develops.

Well Hurricane Harvey gave us a slight pause. The Storm Surge was very apparent!

At the Beginning of the Storm in our area:

Then the rain stopped but the storm surge started:
The Boathouse deck and the entire dock then disappeared under water. Talk about making you nervous. :

Several Hours later the Surge subsided:

Well this settles the fact "The World's Inn" will be up on the 2nd level of the dock (Yet to be Built) :)

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2017-09-01 18:15 ]

Whew! Close call there! I know we were sweating Harvey as well--15" of rain in two days isn't something to take lightly--but the weather broke in our favor and we didn't suffer anything comparable to Houston, Corpus or Port Aransas did. Glad the storm surge only resulted in "helpful hints" for your future build-out!

On 2017-09-05 14:00, Prikli Pear wrote:
Whew! Close call there! I know we were sweating Harvey as well--15" of rain in two days isn't something to take lightly--but the weather broke in our favor and we didn't suffer anything comparable to Houston, Corpus or Port Aransas did. Glad the storm surge only resulted in "helpful hints" for your future build-out!

Thanks! Where are you located?

Been working on the workshop. Added more shelves, finished drill dremel drill stand.

Been raiding Spirit Halloween store got skulls for the bar's tiki torches...a pirate/tiki bar can never have enough skulls.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Skeleton-Tiki-Torch/

Picked up more wood chisels and a new wooden mallet added another pegboard tool organizer next to the first.

Next project is a mobile table for the sander I just got..

Will also try carving for the first time.

Planning on trying to make a Skyrim Dragon Priest mask for the bar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tRt0WVXBmc

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2017-09-20 05:52 ]

Thanks! Where are you located?

Central Texas. Harvey's eye was parked about 40 miles southeast of us for two days. Lots of wind, lots of rain, but not so much of either that had been expected.

Those skeletonized tiki torches are going to look great!

[ Edited by: Prikli Pear 2017-09-20 10:03 ]

That is some scary water!
Good luck with your build.

Started building props for the bar. Decided I needed a pirate chest complete with Skull on the front.

The top is made out of Zebra wood and walnut. First sanding it looks pretty clean. Planning to use the Japanese technique of Sho Shugi ban or wood burning the surface to bring out the grain and preserve the chest.

Sanding is coming along for the chest. Begun work on the skull

First cut on the skull.

This morning I am continuing to smooth the Pirate's Chest top using a brass/hardwood mini planer.
Will then sand the top after I get it to my liking.
Also bought some brass strips for the inlay

11/02 Worked on the Skull some more

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2017-11-02 09:22 ]

Looks like you're loaded for bear, Cap'n! I'm gobsmacked by your ambitious skull carve, and that chest is looking mighty impressive already. Mini-planers and inlays are out of my league and get me twitchy. Maybe someday I'll work up to those. Until then, I'll keep an eye on your build to see what techniques I can borrow!

On 2017-10-30 08:17, Prikli Pear wrote:
Looks like you're loaded for bear, Cap'n! I'm gobsmacked by your ambitious skull carve, and that chest is looking mighty impressive already. Mini-planers and inlays are out of my league and get me twitchy. Maybe someday I'll work up to those. Until then, I'll keep an eye on your build to see what techniques I can borrow!

Thanks Pear! I hope I can show and learn some cool techniques! :)

This week getting the stuff together to do the Japanese technique of preserving/antiquing wood "Shou-sugi-ban Yakisugi on the Pirate's Chest. Which is using fire to lightly scorch/char the wood to make the grain stand out.

I did it once before, sort of worried about the plywood will test first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvhvR8KwWhw

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2017-10-31 06:49 ]

S

i've been waiting for the right customer to come along to do a sign this way - can't wait to try it

Very interesting. I've used the scorch-and-wire-brush technique on my routered trim. The secondary application of water(?) and another round of heat is interesting. That really evens out the tonal quality of the lumber. I've only done this with pine boards, so plywood may well react very differently.

Morning!

Well other than nerving myself up to burn the Treasure Chest for Sho Shugi ban and then do inlays I am waiting for chest hardware I ordered.

I need more props for the Pirate bar so I wanted something that's Tiki without being Tiki to start.

Settled on Legend of Zelda's Majora's Mask.

Take one image blown up to the right size...had to make a run to Office Depot to get that.

Add a Nicely planed piece of wood.

Carbon paper

Lots of tracing

TA DA! Image transferred.

What it's supposed to look like ( We will see how much I balls it up) :P :

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2017-11-01 10:20 ]

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2017-11-01 10:51 ]

Started making Pirate Tiki Torches.

Also made a sharpening Stone box for my sharpening stone.

Used Sho Shugi ban on the Pirate Chest then applied Tung Oil. Now waiting on the chest Hardware and finishing up the pirate Skull carving for the front.

Pages: 1 2 90 replies