Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Cap'n Crafty McGrim's Crimson Cutlass Tavern and World's Inn

Pages: 1 2 90 replies

Stained the Skull Tiki Torches with wood stain.
The glue has set so will cut away the cable ties.

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2017-11-19 07:31 ]

Did some more work on the Deck. Decided to Sho Shugi Ban the whole deck.
First couple of planks done. I think sho shugu ban looks better for the deck than just cedar staining.

Doing the fence too.

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2017-11-21 17:31 ]

Very nice! I agree that the sho shugu ban gives the wood a greater degree of color variation and visual texture. You're going to have the nicest deck in a hundred mile radius!

On 2017-11-22 07:11, Prikli Pear wrote:
Very nice! I agree that the sho shugu ban gives the wood a greater degree of color variation and visual texture. You're going to have the nicest deck in a hundred mile radius!

Appreciate that! :)

More Sho Shugi Ban planking for the deck.

The Beckets came in for the Pirate Chest. Now to make a pair of Walnut Eyebolts and leather chafing sleeves for the beckets.

Also did some more work on the chest's brass inlay

Just sitting here now, carving the eyebolts and jamming to OK GO and Led Zeppelin. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1ZB_rGFyeU

https://vimeo.com/4868843

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2017-11-26 14:09 ]

I'm interested to see how Majora's Mask turns out there :) I've been toying with the idea of making a couple "Tiki masks" based on the face paint of a couple Samoan wrestlers in Japan... "Tiki" but not exactly :)

The woodwork's coming along great. Progress may be slow, but you're going to be so happy that you stuck it out once it's finished.

OK Go and Zep are a heck of a combo. Can't say as I've ever thought to pair them, although I like both.

Finished a small pirate chest. Figured the bar will need a fair amount.

Working on more props and jamming to Pogo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl5TUw7sUBs&t=77s

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2017-12-25 11:20 ]

Got some nautical items, a box of them for 20.00

Took several steps back and have been working on the workshop.

Built a plane rack and a charging station.

Ok, got the charging station hung on the wall.
Now wiring in LED lights (you can never have enough LED lights).

Maybe I should make workshop look like the Starship Nostromo from "Alien"...

Really need to make the walls look like they are concrete or steel...hmmmm

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2018-02-03 11:16 ]

Yeah, that looks nice. I need something like that for my garage, except I don't have much in the way of cordless tools. Keep those updates coming!

Lookin good

Working on the sun-room/Gaming room, starting to get the Tiki look.

Worked on some tiki decor.

Routered trim is looking good, Cap'n! Can't wait to see more!

Thanks very much it was my first try.

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2018-07-01 12:38 ]

Capt'n Crafty McGrim's Tiki-Room and Music Lounge gets an addition!
The first pirate's chest.
For storing guitar pedals and power cords.
Almost finished it, added the skull today. I carved the skull out of hardwood.
Just needs the rope handles (Called Beckets) now.

Also for the Ukulele/strings band who I practice with. Bill one of my Bandmates set up his Xylophone up so he can use it when we practice.

Back to trying to carve my first Tiki Totem.
I Live where we have lots of palm trees so am hoping to get scrap palm tree logs. Figured I would practice making a Tiki while jamming away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK1XsOKvSp8

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2018-07-01 13:42 ]

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2018-12-28 06:37 ]

Decided to use some of this driftwood I have collected to make a small end table/bar. Want to use blue resin in it to get the same effect as the shelf.
Needs to be large enough for my Rum Barrel to sit on.

Finally found a source for free Palm Tree Logs.
I can start carving Tiki Totems.

Now to figure out how to carve Tiki Totems... :P

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2018-12-27 12:53 ]

W

So what did I miss regarding this mystical blue resin? From whence does it come and what is the process?

Ok preparing to carve the first of several Tiki.
Usually they use a chainsaw to carve them. My experience with chainsaws is limited.
So I decided to get an angle grinder with a chainsaw attachment.
Smaller, easier to control and hopefully less dangerous, since I am just making this up as I go

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2018-12-28 16:41 ]

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2018-12-29 10:50 ]

On 2018-12-28 08:57, W8N2Surf wrote:
So what did I miss regarding this mystical blue resin? From whence does it come and what is the process?

Well I thought I would practice this idea. Since all the out door bar counters I am planning would this incorporated into their design.
I figured this would be a good project for a first attempt. If I muck it up, it's not a crucial thing.

Sorry, Well sort of following this and a couple of other DIY youtube videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS3YvHGS-Aw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dS47oiOhSw&list=PLGL7hPji3sjUZn6dEdgoeZa5fbz0uwyLG&t=0s&index=9
Here is the stuff on amazon I plan to use:
https://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Clear-Table-Coating-Tabletop/dp/B01LYK2NAG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1546044230&sr=8-4&keywords=resin+kit

https://www.amazon.com/VARIETY-variety-pigment-Diamond-Pigments/dp/B01HNE78KK/ref=pd_bxgy_328_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01HNE78KK&pd_rd_r=921110c8-0b03-11e9-9f55-c9e036de5cd4&pd_rd_w=MoBcR&pd_rd_wg=ahuAs&pf_rd_p=6725dbd6-9917-451d-beba-16af7874e407&pf_rd_r=99VJ66BMZA0E23C9AQRN&psc=1&refRID=99VJ66BMZA0E23C9AQRN

https://www.amazon.com/Disposable-Graduated-Clear-Plastic-Mixing/dp/B06Y3ZXS7P/ref=pd_bxgy_328_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B06Y3ZXS7P&pd_rd_r=921110c8-0b03-11e9-9f55-c9e036de5cd4&pd_rd_w=MoBcR&pd_rd_wg=ahuAs&pf_rd_p=6725dbd6-9917-451d-beba-16af7874e407&pf_rd_r=99VJ66BMZA0E23C9AQRN&psc=1&refRID=99VJ66BMZA0E23C9AQRN

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2018-12-28 16:58 ]

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2018-12-28 17:00 ]

Also decided I need a platform somewhere in the back yard so I can practice Kendo.

Me at the Dojo over in New Orleans:

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2018-12-28 16:53 ]

One of my inspirations besides "Pirates of the Caribbean" has been this Shed that's located in England:
THE LADY SARAH OUT OF WORTHING PIRATE CABIN BUILT BY REG MILLER SOUTHEND ON SEA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNlD2xzzKsM

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2018-12-28 17:10 ]

S

Tikis are never called 'totems'.

T

Your "tiki bar" has very little tiki.

Wonder if Tiki Central needs a Pirate bar thread?

Is there a Pirate Central out there on the net?

And I like Pirate stuff FYI, But this is full blown Pirate bar.

D

Super fun place. Me timbers be a shiverin'!

Just ordered knobs for the cabinetry. :)

On 2018-12-29 05:25, tikiskip wrote:
Your "tiki bar" has very little tiki.

Wonder if Tiki Central needs a Pirate bar thread?

Is there a Pirate Central out there on the net?

And I like Pirate stuff FYI, But this is full blown Pirate bar.

Considering I have nothing built yet except a few odds and ends like the Treasure chest. Not even a bar yet, I find your comment totally out of wack with what I have done so far.

So I will take my cue from Mr Pupu Pants to Quote him when he was dealing with someone similar:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=28247&forum=20&start=135
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-03 5:42 pm Permalink

"Ah, Tikimyniki, I'm not even sure what that 'compliment' means and I don't care. You are the reason I stopped posting on Tiki Central for a little while.
Since no one has the courage to remove you, I'll make you a deal-- I'll ask that you don't leave any messages on this post and I won't acknowledge your existence here. Please don't even reply. I'll take your silence as the answer. Thank you."

Tikiskip finally how much Tiki is in my final design is not your call -it's mine. Personally, I plan to have a blend of both pirate and tiki, not that I care what you think.

• But Tikiskip I'll make you a deal-- I'll ask that you don't leave any messages on this post and I won't acknowledge your existence here. Please don't even reply. I'll take your silence as the answer. Thank you."

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2018-12-29 11:45 ]

"I'll ask that you don't leave any messages on this post and I won't acknowledge your existence here. Please don't even reply. I'll take your silence as the answer. Thank you."

That's not how it works, this is a public forum and people are free to post as they wish but there are guidelines to posting.
See below (tiki centrals guidelines not mine)
Now I did not say your bars sucks, all I said was "Your"tiki bar" has very little tiki"
At this point in time that is true right?

IMHO Mr. Pupu Pants bar is very tiki for the record.

So this will be my last post to your thread as you ask,UNLESS a comment is directed at me and then I must respond.

Er, good luck.

tiki centrals guidelines
http://www.tikicentral.com/about.php
"The Tiki that Tiki Central focuses on is a mid-century American invention that is Polynesia-inspired. We’re here to discuss classic Tiki, what made it great, how to celebrate it and preserve it today, and how to create and influence new Tiki that isn’t generic, watered down, or misguided. The definitive guide is The Book Of Tiki, and we highly recommend that everyone on Tiki Central get the book and read up."

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2018-12-29 12:09 ]

On 2018-12-29 12:00, tikiskip wrote:
"I'll ask that you don't leave any messages on this post and I won't acknowledge your existence here. Please don't even reply. I'll take your silence as the answer. Thank you."

That's not how it works, this is a public forum and people are free to post as they wish but there are guidelines to posting.
See below (tiki centrals guidelines not mine)
Now I did not say your bars sucks, all I said was "Your"tiki bar" has very little tiki"
At this point in time that is true right?

IMHO Mr. Pupu Pants bar is very tiki for the record.

So I this will be my last post to your thread as you ask,UNLESS a comment is directed at me and then I must respond.

Er, good luck.

tiki centrals guidelines
http://www.tikicentral.com/about.php
"The Tiki that Tiki Central focuses on is a mid-century American invention that is Polynesia-inspired. We’re here to discuss classic Tiki, what made it great, how to celebrate it and preserve it today, and how to create and influence new Tiki that isn’t generic, watered down, or misguided. The definitive guide is The Book Of Tiki, and we highly recommend that everyone on Tiki Central get the book and read up."

Quote you "Your"tiki bar" has very little tiki"
At this point in time that is true right?"

Incorrect. Where you get the idea it's a full blown anything let alone pirate sort of points to the fact that...well I have no idea where you get your "facts"

Currently it's more a tiki room. But hey, I will leave you to count up how much Tiki is in there for your Tiki Quota.

The Deck where I want to build the first of the bars. Slowly repairing the supporting joists then will replace the deck. The second one will be on the currently nonexistent 2nd level of the dock.
First though, I need to have the dock repaired so I can bring my 60ft Chinese junk finally in to dock. It's in South America currently.

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2018-12-29 12:30 ]

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2018-12-29 12:34 ]

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2018-12-29 12:25 ]

Ok good luck.

H
Heath posted on Sat, Dec 29, 2018 6:01 PM

On 2018-12-28 16:40, Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II wrote:
Usually they use a chainsaw to carve them. My experience with chainsaws is limited.
Smaller, easier to control and hopefully less dangerous, since I am just making this up as I go

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Before you try carving with that set-up, read this...
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=18018&forum=7&vpost=211737
Taken from this thread...
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=18018&forum=7

And maybe find something a little easier to work with than what looks like a queen palm. That type is very hard and unless it's from an older tree and close to the base, it will probably crack and split as per this example from Buzzy...

On 2006-08-26 11:11, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Problems I've had with queen palms:
I noticed that the centers split and crack extensively, while the outer inch or two is very hard. I thought I would hollow one out. It warped into a figure 8 after I removed the soft center

It warped until it actually split into two

Also, the cracks sometimes go all of the way to the edge in several places

They also get bugs and beetles in all of the cracks

I'd stop trying with these before you waste too much time. It will not be worth the effort, if you actually get one to work. They look tempting, but rarely work. I tried with about 6 different queen palm logs and finally just gave up. Mexican fan palms are the way to go

Unless I'm mistaken, I've got the same angle grinder at the Captain. There's a spring-coil lever one must press down to activate the thing, and as soon as pressure is released, it stops. Not the most quality of power tools, but it gets the job done.

I've been eyeing the blade attachment for about a year now. I was heartened to learn Tiki Tony uses this for his rough sculpting these days. And yes, it'd dangerous, but I've got two regular chainsaws and they're seriously dangerous as well if not handled properly. I've yet to see any indication that the OP is one to cut corners or take chances when it comes to carpentry or woodworking.

By the by, awesome find on those cabinet handles! They're going to look great!

On 2018-12-29 18:01, Heath wrote:

On 2018-12-28 16:40, Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II wrote:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Before you try carving with that set-up, read this...
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=18018&forum=7&vpost=211737
Taken from this thread...
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=18018&forum=7

And maybe find something a little easier to work with than what looks like a queen palm. That type is very hard and unless it's from an older tree and close to the base, it will probably crack and split as per this example from Buzzy...

On 2006-08-26 11:11, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Problems I've had with queen palms:
I noticed that the centers split and crack extensively, while the outer inch or two is very hard. I thought I would hollow one out. It warped into a figure 8 after I removed the soft center

It warped until it actually split into two

Also, the cracks sometimes go all of the way to the edge in several places

They also get bugs and beetles in all of the cracks

I'd stop trying with these before you waste too much time. It will not be worth the effort, if you actually get one to work. They look tempting, but rarely work. I tried with about 6 different queen palm logs and finally just gave up. Mexican fan palms are the way to go

Thanks! I will read everything you posted before I try this. Really wary of making these Tikis. :)

On 2018-12-29 21:32, Prikli Pear wrote:
Unless I'm mistaken, I've got the same angle grinder at the Captain. There's a spring-coil lever one must press down to activate the thing, and as soon as pressure is released, it stops. Not the most quality of power tools, but it gets the job done.

I've been eyeing the blade attachment for about a year now. I was heartened to learn Tiki Tony uses this for his rough sculpting these days. And yes, it'd dangerous, but I've got two regular chainsaws and they're seriously dangerous as well if not handled properly. I've yet to see any indication that the OP is one to cut corners or take chances when it comes to carpentry or woodworking.

By the by, awesome find on those cabinet handles! They're going to look great!

Thanks! I found the Knobs on Esty.
I will also see how Tiki Tony does it. I also found a sheild for the angle grinder which I pan on getting along with a face shield. A friend suggested that since they "spit" he said.

Had breakfast out on the dock and took Measurements.
Very Foggy Morning Almost "Silent Hill". Several neighbor's Boats/Yachts passed by on the way to Lake Pontchartrain or the Gulf while I ate and you didn't see them until the very last moment.

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2018-12-30 07:33 ]

On a side note finished up a bookcase for my wife for her library. She wants a steampunk style library.
It's Kind of ok for a first try. :P Needs more LED lights in it though.

Having take everyone's advice to heart about the Palm log I got for free, have dug up a better one I think.
This is some sort of regular wood I found in a nearby bayou.
Will try carving that after I read up about how to carve from above posts.

[ Edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2019-01-09 10:10 ]

Got my "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom"
"Club Obi Wan" Poster framed, it will be ready on the 5th.
Not exactly Piratey but I couldn't resist it.

Pages: 1 2 90 replies