Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Disney detectives I need your help!

Pages: 1 5 replies

UT

I picked this item up this summer and have been stumped by it ever since. The sepia tone phot measures 6 1/2" x 9" with a piece of very fragile paper hinge mounted to the bottom. It is a fantastic photo of Captain Nemo's Nautilus. At first I thought it may be a piece of a storyboard from preproduction but it is marked "story in pix". Both the photo and paper have TWC-16 marked on them. The paper is also marked " CONTINUITY NO.7". I posted a request with photos on the D23 site in the Ask Dave page with no response. I think it may be a rare piece. I would love to have some input as to exactly what it is I have. I would like to have it framed and hang it in my home bar. Here are some photos

I'll post this to the 20,000 Leagues e-mail group I'm in and see if anyone knows!

Cory

UT

On 2017-01-06 15:56, EnchantedTikiGoth wrote:
I'll post this to the 20,000 Leagues e-mail group I'm in and see if anyone knows!

Cory

Thank you very much!

And an answer was forthcoming! This is from 20,000 Leagues expert and collector extraordinaire Larry Brooks:

"Your photo is from the deleted 'South Pole sequence' from 20,000 Leagues, showing the Nautilus cruising past the bottom of massive ice flows .... then rising to surface, where it is surrounded by towering icebergs. The still came from a 'story in pictures' booklet which was sent out to theater owners - the photos to be exhibited at the theaters, as well as for publication in local newspapers."

He also posted this image - http://www.originalprop.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/original-studio-model-natauliss-sp-01.jpg - with the caption "Here's a photo showing the Nautilus surfaced at the South Pole - your shot/scene would have preceded this footage in the movie."

So there you go!
Cory

UT

Fantastic information. Thank you Cory. I knew the piece was unique when I found it this summer. Now I just need to frame the whole thing as one piece and it should display nicely. The scope and reach of knowledge of the folks here on TC never ceases to amaze me. Thanks again!

No problem! I'm even more of a fan of Victorian Science Fiction than I am of Tiki, and a fan of Jules Verne in particular (I've even got a blog devoted to Victorian Science Fiction at http://voyagesextraordinaires.blogspot.com). Our Enchanted Tiki Kitchen (no room for a bar yet) has plenty of echoes of 20,000 Leagues, and I'm relying on some friends of mine going to Walt Disney World in a couple weeks to finally bring me home a Nautilus mug from Trader Sam's!

Your question prompted a discussion about the South Pole sequence for 20,000 Leagues that was shot but cut from the film. This is some more that Larry Brooks added: "My brother and I interviewed Leagues matte artist Peter Ellenshaw for nearly three hours - about two decades ago - his memory was incredible, he had total recall. He would describe/talk about everything in great detail, as if he was discussing what happened on the set yesterday. One of the things we were particularly interested in was the missing South Pole Sequence. What happened to it? Peter said the footage just didn't look that good.... they used fake snow to make 'snow flurries', so you would see the Nautilus surfacing surrounded by icebergs... and then it submerged again. As it was submerging, the snow flurries would get so heavy they would almost white out the screen - and then the image dissolved into anther shot. What a shame, we'd all love to have seen that sequence!"

Pages: 1 5 replies