Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

On This Day in Tiki History - 2023 Calendar Available

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 193 replies

Kon Tiki Palm Springs opens November 6th, 1956

Later re-opened as Hilo Hut April 29, 1959

ATTENTION MEMBERS! If you take the TC War Canoe on a head hunting party, be sure to remove the decapitated bodies before returning it. See club bylaws for more details

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2017-10-03 19:35 ]

T

The Kalua Room opened Dec. 2nd 1953 in the Windsor Hotel, Seattle WA.

Thanks Tikicoma :)

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Oct 3, 2017 10:30 PM

1-Oct 2015 Clifton’s Cafeteria Brookdale reopens
12-Nov 2016 Pacific Seas inside Clifton’s Cafeteria Brookdale opens

Haven’t found the exact date yet for when the original Clifton’s was remodeled and reopened as Pacific Seas in 1939.

And a few more suggestions:

15-Jul 1958 “Cinerama South Seas Adventure” premieres
1-Oct 1971 Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort opens

Choosing 1973 for next year’s calendar is genius; it gives us another decade’s worth of dates to celebrate.

If it’s not too late (or too labor intensive), may I make some formatting suggestions? You may have already thought of them. For birthdays, openings, etc., could you put the year at the beginning of the entry instead of the end (for example, “1914 Thor Heyerdahl born”)? And maybe you could color code entries of the same type (for example, treat days like National Rum Day as holidays like Columbus Day and highlight in red text; entries about people in green text; entries about places in blue text; etc.)? I think doing both could make reading the information a bit easier.

Thank you Hamo!!! I dug around a little and couldn't find an opening date for the original Clifton's Pacific Seas either

I added 3 of those dates but was Brookside ever "Tiki"? (With the exception of the new Pacific Seas)

It would be time consuming to move the year to the front of the entries on the calendar but I like the color coding idea, that would be easy enough

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Oct 4, 2017 8:18 PM

The first Clifton’s opened in 1931 on South Olive; the second Clifton’s opened in 1935 on South Broadway. In 1939 both were remodeled and decorated with a theme. The first Clifton’s on Olive was given Polynesian decor and renamed Clifton’s Pacific Seas; the second Clifton’s on Broadway was patterned after Brookdale Lodge in the Santa Cruz Mountains and renamed Clifton’s Brookdale. Clifton’s Pacific Seas closed in 1960 and the building has since been razed. Clifton’s Brookdale and the current Clifton’s Cafeteria are one and the same, and never had any Polynesian decor, only a wooded forest/lodge theme.

So that’s the long-winded answer to say, no, the current Clifton’s first incarnation was never tiki (and outside of the new bar, it still isn’t tiki), and you’re correct in not including its 2015 reopen date on the list. I wasn’t sure if you were wanting it, so I provided it just in case.

Perhaps for accuracy, thought, the entry on the first post should read something like “12-Nov 2016 New Clifton's Pacific Seas opens” or “Pacific Seas in Clifton’s opens.”

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Oct 4, 2017 9:12 PM

Still don’t know when it opened, but...

17-Jun 1960 Clifton’s Pacific Seas closes

On 2017-10-04 20:18, Hamo wrote:
Perhaps for accuracy, thought, the entry on the first post should read something like “12-Nov 2016 New Clifton's Pacific Seas opens” or “Pacific Seas in Clifton’s opens.”

Good point, Thanks Ham!

H
Hamo posted on Fri, Oct 20, 2017 10:45 PM

Hey Mike, I just discovered that the calendar has the opening of Mauna Loa Detroit listed on two different dates: January 8, 1967, and August 15, 1967. As far as I can tell, I think the August is the correct one.

H
Hamo posted on Sun, Oct 22, 2017 9:43 AM

I’ve been looking through all the other posts in the thread and found a few I’d like to suggest be added to the list on the first page:

5-Apr 1980 Final “Hawaii Five-O” episode airs
17-Apr 1967 Final “Gilligan’s Island” episode airs
20-Sep 1968 First “Hawaii Five-O” episode airs
26-Sep 1964 First “Gilligan’s Island” episode airs
12-Jan 2000 Tiki Central founded

The calendar already has “Hawaiian Eye” and Jack Lord’s birthday and death, so adding “Five-O” and “Gilligan” seems to fit. Speaking of TV actors, one of Pittsburgh pauly’s lists has the birthdays of the women who played Ginger and Mary Ann, but I wonder if that is a slippery slope. If they’re included, should Bob Denver, Jim Backus, etc. be added, too?

November 1 is close! I’m excited to see what you’ve put together for us for 2018/1973.

[ Edited by: Hamo 2017-10-22 09:47 ]

Those look like great additions. I think Gilligan's Island is sufficiently "Tiki" to include the actor's birthdates (besides, it's my calendar! :lol: ) Another Gilligan's Island reference that I think is calendar worthy is December 5th, 1964, the date of the first airing of "Waiting for Watubi" where Skipper finds the Kona Tiki. Along the same lines is September 22, 1972 - the date of the Tiki pendant appearance on The Brady Bunch

I will look at those dates for the Detroit Mauna Loa, good catch. Thanks for all your help Hamo :D

The Mauna Loa opened on Saturday August 12, 1967.

Benny "Chang" for the Polynesian opening in Salt Lake City should be Benny "Chan".

The Hawaiian Luau at the Fontainbleau Hotel in NOLA opened on Tuesday May 21, 1963

DC

Perfect! Thanks DC

1973/2018 Calendar available for free download, link on first post along with printing suggestions. A big thanks to all the contributors and to AceExplorer for hosting the file :D

Great job again, Mike! Congrats on Year Two!

You know that this means you can never leave Tiki Central and never retire. You're a tiki legend!

T

Awesome, gonna download and print the next time I'm at the library. Thanks Mike!

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Nov 1, 2017 10:26 PM

Thanks, Mike; it looks great. I really appreciate the captions for the pictures.

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Nov 8, 2017 8:37 PM

Mike generously mailed me a printed 2018 calendar. It looks great—far more professional than the way I printed this year’s calendar. Thanks again, Mike!

Make sure to print your own calendar, one way or another.

Anyone know dates of birth and/or death for these Tiki carvers?

Barney West, born about 1919. Birth name Cecil Westerberg?
Jim Casey
Richard Ellis

ATTENTION MEMBERS! If you take the TC War Canoe on a head hunting party, be sure to remove the decapitated bodies before returning it. See club bylaws for more details

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2017-12-12 07:20 ]

Woooo hoooo!
Seriously, shit, thanks for doing this MadDogMike!
:D

Thanks Pauly, I had LOTS of help

Pagan Idol opened in 2016, not 2006.

Fixed, thanks Kevin

Just turned the page to February on Mike's great calendar. Today is ARTHUR LYMAN's birthday so I will be humming a few bars of one of his tunes in his honor.

Click here to get your copy.

Thank you Ace :D

H
Hamo posted on Thu, Feb 1, 2018 9:15 PM

Now for my second annual February 1 This Day in Tiki History post.

The calendar Mike sent me hangs on the wall at home, but I still needed a 2018 for work....

Happy Birthday, Arthur Lyman!

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Feb 6, 2018 11:47 PM

Came across this recently; since you’ve got other Gilligan-related entries, what do you think about adding this one?

10-Oct 1966 Gilligan's Island "Voodoo" episode airs

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=7611&forum=1&vpost=134679

On 2005-01-09 11:31, bigbrotiki wrote:

The other episode is the 1966 "Voodoo", where the gang finds an idol in a cave. it is the strange little Moai offered as "Easter Island bust" on page 187 of the BOT. Have that one too, but it was definitely mass-produced, in plaster, with black lava-like finish. They painted it gold for the G.I. episode.

Done, thanks Hamo :D

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Feb 7, 2018 10:39 PM

Cool. Here’s a couple more TV suggestions.

You’ve already got the first Brady Bunch tiki episode (called “Hawaii Bound”) on September 22, 1972; how about the other two in the Hawaii trilogy?

29-Sep 1972 Brady Bunch "Pass the Tabu" episode airs
6-Oct 1972 Brady Bunch "The Tiki Caves" episode airs

Sounds good to me, thanks Hamo!

B

Elmer “Bud” Bachtold - General Manager (Hollywood, Chicago, Palm Springs, Las Vegas, etc.) and later, VP of Don the Beachcomber from 1938 through the 1960’s
BIRTH 28 MAR 1903 • Walla Walla, Washington
DEATH 13 JUL 1970 • Burbank, California

Done, thank you BudsCuz. And welcome to Tiki Central

Trying to find birth and/or death dates for the following pioneer Tiki mixologists:
Tony Ramos, Don the Beachcombers
Mariano Licudine, Mai Kai (have birth date)
Dick Santiago, Don the Beachcombers
Bob Esmino, Don the Beachcombers
Ray Barrientos, Don the Beachcombers

I found a birthdate for Mariano. August 12, 1907. He died in November 1980 but I didn't find a day.

I had the birth date but not a death date, checked several places including findagrave.com and the Social Security Death Index.
Ray Barrientos and Bob Esmino were both alive in 2012 and spoke at Tiki Oasis 12.

Anyone got ancestry.com access to see if they can find anything on these guys?

Just a bump to keep this on the front page so I can find it easier :wink:

287 entries at this point

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Aug 20, 2018 7:44 PM

Mike, I see the first post has been updated recently. Have you been adding dates, or just compiling the “wishlist” for more info? Did you see that Hurricane Hayward posted the other day about the Molokai Bar’s opening date being March 6, 1958?

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=10334&forum=2&vpost=789230

Hey Hamo! The edits are both - they are a list for myself of things to look for. But I add new dates as I find them, probably a few a month.
I had Tuesday March 4th as opening date (not sure where I found that) but looks like the paper trail leads to Thursday the 6th so I changed it on Page 1. Thank you sir :)

Edit - that works out better anyway, I had three events for March 4th and none for March 6th :lol:
Edit 2 - One of these days I'll pay for a month on one of the genealogy sites and should be able to find several of the birth and death dates.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2018-08-20 22:05 ]

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2018-08-20 22:21 ]

H
Hamo posted on Sat, Aug 25, 2018 11:13 PM

15-Apr 2018 Don the Beachcomber Huntington Beach closes

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=31530&forum=2&vpost=785984

Got it, thanks Hamo!

Bumpin' again to keep on front page :wink:

Working on the calendar for 1974 (2019), have added 71 new events this year. Some significant events like the birth and death of bartender Mariano Licudine. A few new bars or events opened this year. And some obscure, marginal, or just ridiculous events like National Lamprey Appreciation Day :lol:

Should have the free calendar ready to print before the end of the year.

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Dec 5, 2018 9:03 PM

Awesome! I was hoping you were planning to post an updated version for next year.

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Dec 10, 2018 10:44 PM

Just looking over the list and found that Joe Scialom's birthdate says 19-Jun, but it's among the July dates.

Good eye Hamo! I was able to verify his date of birth as June just now in the Social Security Death Index. Looks like he got around. Born in Cairo, Social Security issued in Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands, last lived in New York. He was of Italian Jewish descent and was educated as a pharmacist!

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Dec 11, 2018 10:16 PM

Social Security Death Index! Who knew. Has it helped with other dates?

Let me know when you find my name there....

H
Hamo posted on Thu, Dec 27, 2018 9:22 PM

Thanks for another great calendar, Mike!

Bumped back to page 1 for easy access :D

Bumped to Page 1 so I can access it easier. 316 events now cataloged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 193 replies