Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

101 Years of Stephen Crane Art Swap - DONE!!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 501 replies

Been a crazy couple of weeks, haven't done anything to my mug. But I'm keeping it wrapped and sprayed, hopefully I will get back to it after this week :fingers crossed:

Go mike go

MadDogMike my fingers are crossed that you'll have no cracks. Even if you do it will be outstanding. I can't seem to make slabs that don't crack. Good luck.

For this swap I copied the Stephen Crane Match Book. Even the colors. Because there are a million brown mugs I chose to do the green. Isn't the order wrong? I thought it was catch the small one between the legs, eat him and have a full belly. I did the mug to match but it looks wrong to me.

All the steps.

Now it goes to the drying table. Wendy

C
cy posted on Thu, Jun 22, 2017 4:37 PM

Wow, fantastic Wendy!!

Wendy
Awesome...

Looks great Wendy! And yes, I think they have the order wrong :lol:

Food for thought

Or
Is it

Pregnant
Have baby
Eat it

:)

H

fantastic work Mike and Wendy. Here are some sketches for my project, hopefully I will be able to get more done this weekend, will post more pictures as I go.

HilT- can't wait to see more

Hey Hilda!!! Love it!!!!!!

Thank you everyone. Hiltiki you could just make a scrapbook with all those fantastic drawings! Wendy

Finally got beyond the sketch stage! Starting with some rolled up cardboard, sketch the design:

Unroll

Cut out the details:

Stick them onto another layer with hot glue:

Need to bulk them up; the spouse required that I use the box from the flamingos she ordered:

And after lots more hot glue (the hair took for-freaking-ever...):

Still lots more work to go. Hopefully it turns out the way I'm envisioning.

And the Bell is rung

Lookin good bruddah

JOSHUA IS IN THE HOUSE!!!!!

ALL UNITS BE ADVISED, WE HAVE A 10-73 (APCO) MADDOG ON THE MOVE.

Statue #3 of 4 in the sprig mold

I had the mug on a piece of plaster wallboard, it molded :lol:

Cut a slab for the bottom, need to let it dry and firm up some

Some snakes of clay for the inside joints

Tiki proctology :o :lol:

Fitting the bottom. I like to set the bottom on a couple of pieces of cardboard while it dries in place - keeps it from sagging and creates a rim or "foot" at the bottom.

Put some clay snakes inside the joint at the bottom. Couldn't reach to smooth it out so I had to add an extender to one of my clay tools :wink:

Bottom. Lot's of room for an inscription. It's too bad we don't know who our Swap partner is until the end, we could personalize the inscription better.

Side A. Will clean up the engravings as it dries

Side B. Tiki #3 patiently waits for #4 who is drying in the mold

Once #4 is attached, just continue to refine it as it dries. Going out of town for a week, it should be be ready to bisque fire the week after 4th of July.

Holy busy mad man
Wow
Someone is on a roll

Joshua Bell you are so good at this. I like it.

MadDogMike that is so over the top. Wow.

Wendy

My swap mug goes into the kiln.

Two days later it comes out of the kiln.

First view.

These swaps are so much fun! Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2017-06-26 07:27 ]

Wendy
Love it

A lot

C
cy posted on Mon, Jun 26, 2017 7:55 AM

Joshua, MadDog, Hil, Wendy, your projects are looking outstanding!

Looks great Wendy! The top of that volcano bowl looks like your kiln overheated :o :o :lol:

H

Beautiful work Wendy, Mike I love what you are doing, Joshua Bell, can't wait to see the progression. I am on my way to the art and craft store wish me luck since I have no idea what I am doing. :)

GO HILDA!!!!! We have faith in you!!!

A lighted magnifying glass is handy when cleaning up

Thank you all for the fun comments.

MadDogMike that's a tip I've never shared. Good job. Wendy

Well Fudge!!!! I broke the feet off of one of the statues!!! Well, looks like a job for Magic Mender

Z

wonderful and amazing stuff going on here! I have filled the box 'o' wonderousness... there are some fun surprises in store!

MadDogMike thank goodness for that stuff. I use it all the time. We B Clumsy.

Mine in finished and ready to ship!

Based on this matchbook.

This is so much fun, Wendy

Mike- quite the pedicure

Go Zero Go!
Wendy, that came out great!
Jon, :lol: :P :lol:

Wendy
Missed it
We posted at the same time

Looks awesome

C
cy posted on Thu, Jun 29, 2017 8:45 AM

Beautiful work and photos Wendy!

TU - posted this image on page 5.

I don't know a lot about Stephen Crane but when I saw this I had to be included. I thought that this is the perfect tiki to be carved in a Palm Frond. Here it is... still needs to be finished. Trying to decide if I make it a large pendant or a small wall hanging??

Aloha- awesome and welcome in
That came out great

AlohaStation could it be both? Hang it when not going out and wear it when leaving the house?

Thank you everyone for your comments, made my day, Wendy

C
cy posted on Fri, Jun 30, 2017 8:51 AM

Looking good Tom, thanks for joining in! I have had the pleasure of swapping with Zero, his box o' wonderments are just that.

I like the idea of letting him be both a pendant and wall hanging. here he is with the finish. I'll work on the mount for him and post it before the deadline.

Super cool. This is a great swap summer. Thank you MadDogMike, Wendy

Awesome Tom!

That right there is awesome

29 more days...

Left my Kon Tiki mug loosely wrapped to dry slowly while I was on vacation for a week, seems to have dried safely. Moved it outside into the 100+ degree sun to completely dry and will fire it in a few days, probably Sunday

Wowzer you are brave. That is a masterpiece. Praying it does well through all the steps. Wendy

Oh myyyyyyy
Awesome

On 2017-07-02 17:45, hang10tiki wrote:
29 more days...

Tick tock, tick tock...

Logistical note: I'll be on a road trip (not Tiki related, alas, but I'll have Critiki handy...) from just before the draw date until several weeks later. I'll either need to post it to a willing intermediary before the draw, or my swap-ee will need to be extra patient.

Updated pix of my WIP soon (when I stop drooling over everyone else's work)

[ Edited by: Joshua Bell 2017-07-06 21:35 ]

[ Edited by: Joshua Bell 2017-07-06 21:35 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 501 replies