Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

101 Years of Stephen Crane Art Swap - DONE!!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 501 replies

Joshua, if you want to mail it to me I would be happy to forward it to the proper recipient after the names are drawn.

T

Holy moly! I've been AWOL for a while, life and work (new retail locations opening up) taking over (again). Can't believe the variety and amazing work during this Swap! I suppose by finishing early I was able to hide out- but on the bright side, my mouth can hang open and gawk at all the talent.

And more is coming? Whoa.

JBell- 3 weeks, dang sounds like a good vacation :)

On 2017-07-07 06:21, hang10tiki wrote:
JBell- 3 weeks, dang sounds like a good vacation :)

Only if the kids behave. Slight update: planning a stop at the Sip-n-Dip in Montana. Wheee!

Here's the WIP getting some sun. Almost done the skinning.

PS: Thanks Mike!

[ Edited by: Joshua Bell 2017-07-08 10:13 ]

Isn't it great that every year we think it's the best swap yet?

Joshua Bell already looks like wood. Great photo. Wendy

Looks AWESOME Josh. I bought a book on paper machie dragon trophy heads, I want to make one with my grandsons one of these days.

On 2017-06-25 14:03, MadDogMike wrote:
Bottom. Lot's of room for an inscription. It's too bad we don't know who our Swap partner is until the end, we could personalize the inscription better.

Well, I forgot to put an inscription on the bottom :lol: :lol: :lol: I'll just have to paint it on with underglaze

I guess it turned out for the best, when I turned it over to take the picture I realized I hadn't sanded the bottom flat :o Got that done and it's in the kiln right now!

______________ :tiki: ALoooHA! :tiki: _____________

Sorry sooo late, I hope it's okay to join IN on all the artsy fartsy fun?

I started a little something this afternoon. Flip-flOp-fLipPpitY-Flip...

_______________ More to come... ______________

WHOOOOHOOOO!!!!!

TravelingJones whenever there is a swap I think of you. Your over the top projects always inspired everyone to work harder. This looks like a weapon!

MadDogMike you are so lucky. I have at times forgotten to sand something. I sure hope your tiki palace makes it through the kiln firing. I've just had two custom projects crack. Horrors.

Wendy

MDM - Hears a Whooo!

Wendy - I've always enjoyed the challenge in creating with hands what my mind sees.
Tiki Art Swap has always been special to unify a community of creatives into sharing art and process.
YOU have emerged like a colorful butterfly with your beautiful ceramic skills!
YOU should be VERY proud!!

Here's what I did last night...

C
cy posted on Sun, Jul 9, 2017 8:54 AM

This swap keeps getting better, great work MDM, JB, TJ!

TJ that's a teaser and you are known for those!

Thank you for your kind comments. Wendy

JB- sweet
MDM- stud
TJ- Kool, what kind of wood is that ??

H10T! - Juniperus virginiana (Eastern red cedar)

Wendy - A weapon? Only if pulled over by the police
and have this item laying in the passenger seat(it's 3ft x 6in)!! :lol:

...and so here's where carving stops for this weekend. :drink:

H

Lots of great artwork going on this time, Traveling Jones your pieces are always interesting. Here's a little bit of progress on my part. I will post more as I
Get going

T

On 2017-07-08 10:16, danlovestikis wrote:

Isn't it great that every year we think it's the best swap yet?

Joshua Bell already looks like wood. Great photo. Wendy

Wendy, be nice! Perhaps his creation looks like wood, but... ?!?!?!

Wow, awesome work from every direction. Mike, thanks again for the organizing. Excited to see the race to the finish. Good luck with the firing!

On 2017-07-09 08:58, danlovestikis wrote:
TJ that's a teaser and you are known for those!

:lol: I had forgotten that little fun fact about TJ :lol:

That looks great Hilda, can't wait to see it progress!!!

Good News - Bad News

My Kon Tiki mug fired fine but was a bug with my kiln :wink: My pyrometer (kiln thermometer) is on the blink. I think it overfired a bit which doesn't hurt the bisque firing but but would be bad for a glaze firing. So I ordered a new pyrometer but it won't be in til close to the end of the month which means I'll be cutting it close :o Gives me time to order some glazes and Magic Mender if I need to.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2017-07-09 20:02 ]

TJ- wow, awesome
Not many different wood choices here
Hild- can't wait to see it
MDM- livin on the edge

TravelingJones your hands must ache from carving wood so deeply. That's a lot of work and we are so happy for the chance to swap with you.

hiltiki A surf board? The drawings are wonderful.

TikiAno you are right Joshua doesn't look like wood but he takes cardboard and makes it look like carved wood. That's creativity!

MadDogMike I had two mugs turn up cracked in the same week. You just never know. If your clay is too hard to accept glaze you could stain it??? it will still be a magnificent piece to display.

hang10tiki you and I are all done and it feels so good to sit back and watch1

Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2017-07-11 19:37 ]

You know what this is?

It's a ship arriving too late to save a drowning witch :lol:

You know what this is?

It's a high definition pic of the Kon Tiki arriving too late to save my mug :lol:
The picture on the left is a recently discovered high definition pic, the one on the right was the best I was previously able to find which left me guessing as to what the statues looked like. As a result, my mug statues don't look much like the photo on the left :lol:

Update: ready for painting:

Base coat:

Joshua Bell looks heavy but is light enough to place anywhere in a tiki room. Good job. Wendy

Nice

T

Awesome Joshua!

H

This is getting real exciting, we are getting lots of new artwork almost every day and each of them look great.
Jashua Bell, Great job, thank you Mike and Jon for always being supportive, Wendy thanks for the kind words. I guess I am finally finished with my piece. Here are some pictures of the finished piece.

Wow
Stunning
Came out great
:)

Very cool Hilda! So glad you decided to join us!

Hilda, that's beautiful. WOW, it's going to be so exciting 17 days from now. Wendy

C
cy posted on Fri, Jul 14, 2017 7:53 AM

Joshua and hil great works of art!

:o :o :o WOW!!! :o :o :o

Sooo much AWESOME art being created by AMAZING creative talent on display for this swap!

AlohaStation
anthonymaye
cy
danlovestikis
hang10tiki
hiltiki
Joshua Bell
MadDogMike
TikiAno
TU
ZeroTiki

Oooh yeah and a SsweeetT mix of materials too... clay, "honeybuns", palm frond, net floats,
Dayglo, ceramic, paper mache, paint, cork, artboard, wood, canvas, ink, cardboard, rope, shells and feathers...

Keep the fires STOKED everyone! Only 2 weeks left to finish!!!

:tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki:

_____ :tiki: TIKI UNDER CONSTRUCTION :tiki: _____

TravelingJones that's a wonderful list. I can't imagine how the wooden tiki you are making needs those supplies. This is going to be fun to watch. Wendy

Jones, what's the scoop on that angle grinder attachment?

Wendy - I apprenticed in a machine shop doing tool & die manufacturing from age 13 to 17, so I'm very much at home using power tools and power carving is a natural fit for me.

MDM - It's a Saburrtooth 2 inch (fine) donut round face rotary wheel disc. It can quickly erase wood while maintaining some degree of control with a smooth finish.

And so here's the progress so far...

"It's a Saburrtooth 2 inch (fine) donut round face rotary wheel disc"
That's the yellow grinding wheel, how about that black extension looking thing? Chain drive?

Your carving is looking awesome!

Here's where we stand as of 7/30

Travelin' Jones - 97% Done

MadDog Mike - Finished

Joshua Bell - Finished

Hiltiki - Finished

danlovestikis - Finished

Aloha Station - Finished

Cy - Finished

Tu - Finished

TikiAno - Finished

hang10tiki - Finished

anthonymaye - Finished

ZeroTiki - Finished

Mauka Hale - In Progress

TheBigT - In Progress

Gellhorn - "There's a lot of rum in this rum"
Hemingway - "In this joint they don't drink to get drunk, they drink to stay drunk"

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2017-07-30 20:32 ]

Not done, but getting there:

Consensus from the local critics is that the lower body needs more color to balance the top, so a bit more painting still to come.

Looking good Joshua!

Got my new kiln pyrometer in so working on some glaze, should be able glaze fire this week. Decided on an Expresso glaze. It's good at pooling darker in the crevices and breaking lighter on the edges and high spots. It should bring out the details. Glued the statue foot back on with some Marx Magic Mender, hopefully it will hold.

TJ
JB
MM

AWESOME

TJ
JB
MM

AWESOME

I couldn't say it better! AND MadDogMike thanks for putting it all together. It was such fun to run down TJ's list but with the photos it's a big WOW.

Wendy

C
cy posted on Sun, Jul 16, 2017 4:25 PM

TravelingJones you are some kind of talented, beautiful work! Joshua and MDM you are finishing strong. Here is the final photo with marble eyes and teeth added to the bottom float. I think instead of a swap it should be winner take all, with Mike taking the winner's entry.

[ Edited by: cy 2017-07-16 17:22 ]

B

These look so awesome, everyone. I have been a swap lurker for a long time, but as my skills are improving, I look forward to participating in the next one — so I hope the tradition continues!

Cy- outstanding
Love the lil moss head guy keeping watch
:)

Cy - that looks perfect! A Swap where I end up with all the goodies? Hmmmm..... :lol:

Bobtiki - this is a fun tradition, we plan to continue it :wink: You are always welcome to join into the Swap (PS the Pele mug is looking good!)

I hear a rumor that we may have another previous Swapper joining us this time too...

C
cy posted on Mon, Jul 17, 2017 1:54 PM

Great news, the more the merrier! MDM that tool you are asking TJ about is an arbortech. It is belt driven and you can buy many different disks for it, from sanding to small chainsaw like blades. I used mine, along with a dremel, to do the floats, a must have for carvers and one of my favorites.

[ Edited by: cy 2017-07-17 13:58 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 501 replies