Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

101 Years of Stephen Crane Art Swap - DONE!!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 501 replies

Thanks for the info CY :)

Kiln has fired. Outside is glazed but mostly fired to set the Magic Mender on that broken foot. Hope it works, it's getting too late to start over :o Got glaze coming in on Friday to glaze the inside

Looks hot out

Hey, I don't want to throw a wrench in the works but Stephen Crane was born in 1916 not 1917, that makes 101 Years of Stephen Crane :lol:

I take that as a compliment Jon :wink:

Opened the kiln this morning and it looks good! No glaze skips, no crazing, no shivering (at least not yet, that usually happens later). The foot seems to be bonded on but I didn't crank on it too much. That glaze brought out the detail. Now back in the kiln Saturday (I hope) to fire the inside glaze. Fingers crossed :D

C
cy posted on Wed, Jul 19, 2017 7:54 AM

It's beautiful Mike!

H

Mike and Travelling Jones your pieces look awesome, and I love all the other pieces also. This is a great swap year.

CY then we would all beat him up so we could run the swap and get all the goodies. Great additions to your art.

MadDogMike that is so cool.

Hiltiki you got it right this is a over the top swap!

Wendy

Mike- looks awesome
It's life size right?

B

Mike, that is so gorgeous!

Here are the beginning posts of my swap project. Originally I was going to use Lino cut printing blocks for an art project but I changed my mind. I'm about to do several carved masks for my home tiki bar so I though doing the first one for the art swap would give me some good experience.

Whooohooo, Mauka! Glad to see you're in! Nice start, 11 days to go :)

Thank you Bob.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2017-07-20 15:01 ]

_________________ I N S P I R E D ___________________

_______________ I M A G I N A T I O N _______________

Whoa Jones! That is mind altering! :o

MH- glad u in
TJ- wow, me so dizzy

H

Travelling Jones, crazy good. MaukaHale, cant wait to see whats up.

OK, hopefully the last firing. Will find out in the morning :wink:

On 2017-07-16 07:41, MadDogMike wrote:
That's the yellow grinding wheel, how about that black extension looking thing? Chain drive?

On 2017-07-17 13:54, cy wrote:
MDM that tool you are asking TJ about is an arbortech. It is belt driven and you can buy many different disks for it, from sanding to small chainsaw like blades. I used mine, along with a dremel, to do the floats, a must have for carvers and one of my favorites.

Mahalo'z cy! --Sorry MDM, I didn't see and answer you're question before. Yes, it's an Arbortech Mini Grinder. The 6"inch belt driven neck attachment allows for great visibility and reach in to tight spaces when power carving. This is my first time using this tool. I've no doubt that cy and other more experienced carvers can lay out a better view of its wood carving capabilities and other applications with a wide variety of attachments. I've really enjoyed using it so far. 8)

Chokest mahalo'z to all for da kind words! :drink:

:o EXCITING works all around everyone!!! :o Let's keep our fires stoked and creative juices boiling!! :o

Thank you TJ

Firing of the inside done and mug complete! I have an idea for a couple of add-ons to work on. I am going on vacation on the 28th, I will be doing the drawing from the beach in Mexico. If my Swap partner won't be at Oasis for the swap, I will mail it out on Aug 7th

Mike,

You always think outside the box, well done!

------------------------------------ FIRE! ------ FIRE! ------ FIRE! --------------------------------

____BURNT OFFERINGS

Oh WOW!!! Very cool! I thought the blue was a meteor LOL I should have recognized it from past experience. When I was about 4, my day was cutting with an oxygen-acetylene torch. I asked him what the blue stuff was. He said "What blue stuff?" So I stuck my finger in it to show him :o We still laugh about that 55 years later.

Mike- well done
TJ- well done
Mike- so that's why u can't flip me off

:)

Strong work everyone

Its a race to the finish!

OOOOHHHHH!!!

C
cy posted on Tue, Jul 25, 2017 4:56 PM

Lookin' good Mauka!

H

Very nice Mauka.

MH- looks like Mad Dog when he doesn't get coffee :)
Can't wait to see what you do
Cheers

Mike- I just noticed something,
Every time you do the drawing
it's either from a bedpan late at night at work
or during vacation on some beach!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have fun bruddah.

How many Mad days left?

H10T, you are too funny :lol: Thank you for keeping us entertained :D

Got some glamour shots done. I didn't check volume but I suspect it holds about 2 quarts :o Made a polymer clay Kon Tiki swizzle/garnish pick to go with it. I also ordered some 18 inch straws to send along but I just got a message from Amazon that my jumbo fat smoothie straws have been shipped. Don't know if I'm getting long straws or short fat ones? :(

C
cy posted on Wed, Jul 26, 2017 9:42 AM

Superb Mike, the swizzle is icing on the cake!

Done!

Well, clear coat is drying in the back yard, but no more painting/detailing.

The concept is "what did the tiki look like that inspired that crazy mug?", weathered so as not to be quite so blinding. Hope my swap partner likes it, and big thanks to Mike for relaying it.

Looks great Josh. Everyone is buttoning up their projects and the end is in sight!

Looks like I have finished pics from everyone except MaukaHale and Traveling Jones? Is there anyone working on a project that isn't listed in my post on page 22?

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2017-07-26 15:13 ]

Joshua Bell, MaukaHale and MadDogMike this is a wowowowowoowowoow swap ahead! It will be so much fun to see the swaps and the draw day. Thank you MDM again for organizing all this fun. Wendy

PS hang10tiki you are a wizard at PS (photoshopping)

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2017-07-26 16:06 ]

Mike n JB- love em
Both came out great
Can't wait for the name swap results
Wendy :)

Cheers

He is also a wizard at BS :lol:

C
cy posted on Thu, Jul 27, 2017 7:38 AM

Great finish and idea Joshua!

:)

How many days left?

T
TU posted on Thu, Jul 27, 2017 9:45 AM

Here are my pieces for the swap...

Sorry they are sideways, but my phone won't allow me to edit or rotate.

Jon, here's some fresh material for you :lol: :P :D :wink:

Nice TU!!! Here they are rotated and cropped a bit

TU- sweet
Mike- u asked for it
Direct from frog island

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2017-07-27 13:52 ]

So here is a early doodle and my final painting
and I made a frame for it hope you all dig it
as much as I'm digging all of your work
Mahalo

C
cy posted on Thu, Jul 27, 2017 2:33 PM

Nice TU, Anthony the finished art and frame look super, thanks H10, I actually did laugh out loud.

AM- awesome
CY- :)

:tiki: ALoooHA! Awesome workz everyone!! :tiki:

I've been called away on business and I'm 97% complete with this piece...

Upon my return I can quickly add the last of decorative details to complete this project. I'll post a photo on Saturday, August 5th and ship to my swap partner.

Is this acceptable with the group and prospective swap partner?

Awesome
(Flipped it for ya)

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2017-07-28 06:38 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 501 replies