Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Infinity bottle

Pages: 1 21 replies

anyone doing this with rum? i have a very diverse rum collection and a lot of bottles with just a little left are taking up a lot of space. i'm tempted to start this, but also want the ability to showcase the huge diversity of rums. any thoughts or experiences making a rum infinity bottle? also, if so, what bottle did you use?

http://punchdrink.com/articles/how-infinity-bottle-blend-became-whiskey-nerd-obsession/

I really enjoyed the article, apparently I need to read more, this is the first I've heard of this. Thank you for sharing it - the article definitely made me want to start doing this with my rums, whiskeys, and gins. I think we all end up with empty "special" bottles over time, and this is one very good way to make use of a couple and have a helluva good time in a very unique and personal sort of way.

I did this with whiskey a couple of years ago and it was really cool, very interesting experiment. Don't know why I never thought of doing it with rum - seems like a no brainer!

Very interesting. It seems to me that rum is particularly well-suited to this type of experiment, seeing as how the liquor is already known for its complexity of flavor amongst spirits. A little demerara, a little agricole, a touch of dark Jamaican and you're starting to get something unique and lively going. I's not normally one who lets near-empty bottles linger, but this has given me something to think about.

I have a constantly evolving infinity bottle that I use exclusively for my Mai Tai’s. I use one ounce from the I B and one ounce of Meyers (Yes I have tried Coruba). I am careful about which rums go into my I B.
Cheers
Btw, my I B holds a half gallon.

T

Cool idea.
After going to that link computer kinda slowed down seized up a bit.
What is it with those news type links that do this, they must be cramming so many
cookies into your life to get info.

BUT we did buy an old, like very old bottle of Lemon Hart rum from a guy it was opened but it was not so good.
As in old tasting not so good, and it was 151.

So I wonder if adding new stuff would help the old stuff not get funky.

But then are you going to keep it for 55 years without touching it like the bottle we bought?

T

Here is that bottle, it is from Bob Karst he was one of the first bartenders at the Kahiki.
it is cool anyway and am glad we bought it.

Maybe it will be my infinity bottle.

It was sad taking the party items out of his house but maybe the party can have new life after all.

As a side note I like to keep old bottles and even refill them and use then in my bar as they are way cooler than the new ones most times.

Thank you Mrs. Karst....

That is a cool bottle, Skip! I wonder your bottle had been stored in heat for extended periods? Heat does all kinds of nasty things to beverages, regardless of the proof. Such a shame. The solera system seems to work well for brands like Zacapa and Botran, although they're blending like with like.

Isn't this the same thing hobos have been doing forever? Collect their cigarette butts and re-roll the leftover tobacco? The "Infinity Cigarette"
:lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :P :P :D :D

On 2017-08-15 05:20, tikiskip wrote:
As a side note I like to keep old bottles and even refill them and use then in my bar as they are way cooler than the new ones most times.

Thank you Mrs. Karst....

Here here! The old time labels have a real charm to them.

T

"I wonder your bottle had been stored in heat for extended periods?"

Man you know that bottle made it's way to the basement and never moved till I bought it.
And they lived in the house forever.
So that would be cool damp musty conditions.

"Collect their cigarette butts and re-roll the leftover tobacco"

Man can you even imagine how much worse those cigarettes are for you what with all the bad stuff being collected at the last bit of leftover tobacco.

kinda like hash oil but only it's nicotine. Yuk!

T

From the net.....

"Ugh, one time I saw my ex, who has had a liver transplant & is on immunosupressants, pick a half smoked cig out of an ashtray outside of a Walgreens. I was actually driving her home from the hospital because she had a MRSA infection & we stopped there to get the medicine that the doctor gave her. When I pointed out how gross & stupid that was she got mad. Cigarettes are nasty enough, but USED cigarettes brings it to a whole new level."

After seeing this thread on reddit I looked into them but I'm a bit more interested about infinity barrels.

Been running a rum infinity bottle for many years now. It's a lot of fun to do. I mainly use it for Rum Old Fashioneds and Mai Tais. Wrote something about the proceess recently: http://www.proofcocktails.nl/2017/08/28/blending-spirits-infinity-bottles/

O

On 2017-09-01 11:41, The Swizzler wrote:
Been running a rum infinity bottle for many years now. It's a lot of fun to do. I mainly use it for Rum Old Fashioneds and Mai Tais. Wrote something about the proceess recently: http://www.proofcocktails.nl/2017/08/28/blending-spirits-infinity-bottles/

thanks for sharing. i finally took a look at my bar and got excited about clearing some space by consolidating some of the bottles. and blending. also downloaded this infinity calculator so i'll always know what's in the house rum: https://www.reddit.com/r/cocktails/comments/6iixth/infinity_bottle_calculator/

Just met a gentleman at the Mai Kai during Hulaween that caught me up on this trend... going to start mine pretty soon.

Neat idea.

Let us know how it goes, Paulynesian!

So, how about things that we could, but WILL NOT put into an Infinity Bottle? In my case, the last 10-15 mls or so of my yellow label Lemon Hart 151.

I started one a few months back in a cool, opaque decanter I found. Forgot I had done that and, long story short, accidentally dumped a bunch on the floor of my tiki bar, then poured the rest down the drain because, in my new drunken state, assumed it was old. Good times.

I started it again and just poured a couple splashes from all my open rum into it. Hoping for better luck this time around.

On 2018-02-23 15:23, TheKiltedFez wrote:
accidentally dumped a bunch on the floor of my tiki bar, then poured the rest down the drain because, in my new drunken state, assumed it was old

Ouch! I hate it when I do drunken actions like that.

I once was making a mai tai, wandered off to relieve my bladder, came back to the kitchen and promptly poured all the ingredients down the drain because I thought it was just ice water, chilling my shaker. 4 ounces of good liquor down the drain.

I have an infinity bottle that was filled with 20 ounces of Virgin Island, Jamaican, and misc. rum. It was tasting good but non-descript. Until I put two ounces of Neisson rhum blanc in it. Just that 10 percent addition of rhum agricole completely changed the blend. Fortunately, both my wife and I like rhum agricole, so I think this change will not be a problem.

Anyone else have a similar experience? What did you add that made the difference?

H
Hamo posted on Sun, Jan 13, 2019 1:53 PM

I just started an infinity bottle using the remaining 1/4 ounce of new yellow label Lemon Hart 151 after making a Cobra's Fang. Then I poured in the last couple of ounces of Plantation Dark, and added unmeasured amounts of other aged bottles from the cabinet: Coruba, El Dorado 8, Bacardi 8, Smith & Cross, Lost Spirits Navy Style, and OFTD. I'm interested to see what this tastes like in a Mai Tai, after the bottle sits for a while.

I started up an infinity bottle especially for Jamaican rum, my personal fave.

So far I've blended in the last few slugs from my bottles of:

Doctor Bird
Royal Jamaican 12 Year
Plantation Xaymaca
Captain Morgan White Label
Coruba
Appleton 12 Year
and some Rum Fire I aged at home in one of those little casks they sell at the county fair

I put a little notebook on the bottle so I can track how the blend evolves over time.

Pages: 1 21 replies