Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

A Few Clubs....

Pages: 1 15 replies

Here's three clubs I put on carving post...I think only us carvers look at the post anymore...I know that post has gotten very long, but things are no good till somebody see them, right? :) A Massim spatulate club, ala Paupua New Guinea..These were used as lime spatulas and likely as weapons...the Maori over in New Zealand also had many similar small clubs called Patu, used as short weapons or status objects), a sawfish-bladed Cula Cula ala Fiji...most of these were all one piece of wood with a wood blade but God carved me this beautiful snout. :) I popped in a photo of my handsome mug holding it for actual size.. (I really dig this one; its for me bar!), and a Kini Kini, a deadly, sprite "D" bladed weapon with some nasty edges. Hope you like!

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-08-21 18:59 ]

M

Very nice...
I love the Fijian Cula Cula.
Where do you live? I wanna know where your finding all these great Polynesian artifacts.

K

Great work Dave. Like the Cula Cula!!! Are these hanging in your basement bar? Don't drink or serve too much strong rum or tribal warfare could break out!!!

Scotty

C

BK, do you sleep? It's not just that you're so prolific, it's that it's all beautiful and so different.

I wish the "To view this topic..." url in the emailed post was instead "To view this post" with the start=xxx info added so I could click straight to the post no matter how long the thread was cuz yes I do look at them. Any chances of that, Hanford? Like you're not busy.

On 2003-08-21 17:33, Cultjam wrote:
I wish the "To view this topic..." url in the emailed post was instead "To view this post" with the start=xxx info added so I could click straight to the post no matter how long the thread was cuz yes I do look at them. Any chances of that, Hanford? Like you're not busy.

I took a look at the code and it seemed pretty easy so I added it. It messes up the pagecount though, but I'll see if I can't do something about that (LATER)

~Hanford

Kahuna, you must be running out of space. I will gladly "donate" space in my tiki bar for your overflow items. Really, you carver guys are amazing. Big wow factor.

Whenn you're good, you're good. Them letter openers are a carving project I would not want to take on willingly(sp?)

On 2003-08-21 17:10, MTKahuna wrote:
Where do you live? I wanna know where your finding all these great Polynesian artifacts.

MT, Basement Kahuna carves these himself. Check out the Carving Post to see his other stuff. His work is top notch and as far as I know, he's the only one carving weapons around here.

Thanks for the digs, guys...I like carving these.. there is so much interesting history behind them; the variety was endless from island to island, and each of the old Polynesian weapons was one of a kind. Little is known about some of them, which makes them even more interesting to me. And, fair to say, mysterious, spooky island weapons made up a full half of the wall decor one would see in any old tiki establishment. Leroy Schmaltz has been carving them for decades.

P

Is this going to be one of those things where you lure people into the mountains, get them drunk, "introduce" them to your weapons and then shrink their heads?

Cuz' if so, I'm IN!
My head's too big anyway after a few Scorps.

Might I acquire a few of your whittlings for my own walls at The Lagoon? I've got these green papers with pictures of some elderly white gentlemen on them... or, if you prefer...3 goats.

E

Astounding, stunning, unbelieveably gorgeous...and the clubs too!

Ahhh, I couldn't resist! Seriously, they are really deadly, in every possible meaning of the word.

:), emspace.

Arrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

KK

You continue to amaze us all Dave. Excellent work, and I still want that panel we talked about! Hope to see you soon.

Dood, you so rock.

Very nice work! You should have no trouble defending your bar against rowdy party crashers with these implements at hand.

R

See how good you are BK? MT Kahuna thought your artwork carvings were actual artifacts! I think you are gifted. Nice matt that the weapons are displayed on! That one weapon, the Cula Cula, make sure you dont have too many Zombies in you when you need to slice garnish. Yeeeeoow!

Ohhh, look out! Bamboo Ben is pirating again! Arrr. :wink:

[ Edited by: RenTiki on 2003-08-27 00:18 ]

Pages: 1 15 replies