Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

The Book of Tiki - Repairing Book Binding

Pages: 1 6 replies

Hello Everyone!

This is my first post on the forum and exited to learn as much as I can about our hobby and its history.

Wanting to purchase a copy of BOT, the antique stores, thrift stores, and goodwill's in my area have been rummaged through with no luck. I was able to find this book (pictures below) for $60 online. There going for about $100. This copy however, is pretty beat up.

Does anyone know of a way to repair a book in this condition? It would be nice to purchase a book in the nicer condition, but the opportunity presented itself and was curious of everyone's opinion!

ShakaShakaShaka,
Mike

I've never repaired a book binding but if I were to try to repair your book this is what I would do.

1. I would get some Elmer's Wood Glue.

2. I would take some blank edges off of some news papers (no typing in ink).

3. I would shred them into small bits.

4. I would put some protective plastic wrap behind the cover so that the pages are protected.

5. I would mix the wood glue and shredded news print into a thick mush.

6. I would wet the book slightly where I want the mush to stick.

7. I would wet my fingers so that the mush doesn't stick to then and I would pat the mush into the ragged areas first making sure they are completely filled.

8. I would then build it out until it reached the area where the cover folds.

9. It needs to completely dry.

10. Once dry I would Either cut a piece of paper to glue over the patch and past the bend and attach it to the back spine of the book. Several layers to make it strong enough to survive.

11. Then if the paper used wasn't the right color I would use felt pens or paint to color it.

Whatever you try please post it here.

I hope someone has a better system. Good Luck it is a great book. Wendy

Dan,

Wow! That was super detailed. Thank you for taking the time to write that out. I will keep the thread going with what ends up happening. I found another copy for $75. The $15 might be best to have a newer looking book and to save the haste.

Thanks again

Hi, I'm Wendy aka danlovestikis. Dan is my husband his Tiki Central name is wendylovestikis. I think grabbing one you don't have to repair is the way to go. Cheers, Wendy

On 2018-01-08 18:48, danlovestikis wrote:

Hi, I'm Wendy aka danlovestikis. Dan is my husband his Tiki Central name is wendylovestikis. I think grabbing one you don't have to repair is the way to go. Cheers, Wendy

Wendy, Excuse me! Thank you for the help. I hope you can see how that was a little confusing lol. Decided not to take the deal for $60 and am continuing on the hunt.

ShakaShakaShaka

It's been fun. I look forward to your next post. Wendy

H
Hamo posted on Fri, Jan 26, 2018 9:50 PM

Hey xmikebrock, if you’re still hunting, check your PM....

Pages: 1 6 replies