Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Art Swap 2018 - Dream Tiki - Results Posted!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 288 replies

Is it getting about time for Art Swap 2018? We wrap it up at the end of July again so that any Swappers attending Tiki Oasis could exchange in person.

What are your ideas for a theme? There have some times in the past where participation was limited because the theme was too narrow so keep that in mind. One nice broad theme I heard was "My Favorite Tiki". I don't think we have done "TV or Movie Tiki". Any other suggestions?

As much as I hate to admit it, Tiki Central has become more of a desert island rather than the lush tropical isle it used to be. If you are in contact with any of the past Swappers who no longer frequent TC, let them know about this thread and encourage them to participate :D

Here is a link to all the previous Swaps for inspiration

Mermaid; the original Surf 'n Turf. Long Pig on top and Ahi below.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2018-03-08 22:51 ]

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2018-08-03 09:36 ]

Aloha Mad Dog

My vote:

My favorite Tiki
Or
Anything goes
:)

No restrictions there

Cheers

I have a suggestion that the theme be less specific like the Rose Parade. Here are a few themes from the parade with the word tiki added:

2016 Find Your Adventure in Tiki
2015 Inspiring Tiki Stories
2014 Dreams Come True in Tiki
2013 Oh, the Places You’ll Go in Tiki
2012 Just Imagine tiki...
2011 Building Dreams, Friendships & Memories in Tiki

2009 Hats Off to Entertainment in Tiki
2008 Passport to the World’s Celebrations in Tiki
2007 Our Good Nature in Tiki
2006 It’s Magical Tiki

2002 Good Times in Tiki
2001 Fabric of America in Tiki

MaukaHale that was a lot of typing. Some fun ideas there.

MadDogMike how about My Own Tiki Design. We can all be inventors. I've often thought it would be fun to pick my favorite eyes, nose, mouth etc. from multiple tikis and combine them to see how it would look. This can be done in any medium.

Count me in no matter what the subject is going to be. Wendy

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Feb 19, 2018 10:50 PM

The Stephen Crane birthday theme seemed to provide good inspiration and freedom for last year’s swappers. I was wondering about something similar by commemorating Sven and Otto’s recently released book, “The Art of Tiki.” It features a lot of different stuff (new art, pieces from the Riechek collection) that swappers could draw from.

Great ideas, keep 'em coming!
"Here are a few themes from the Rose Parade with the word tiki added:" Interesting Mauke!

C
cy posted on Tue, Feb 20, 2018 8:28 PM

Thanks MDM I'm in, "Favorite Hawaiian Memory" would work for all kinds of medium, and everyone has one even if you have never been to the islands. Like that first tiki necklace with the jewell eyes or your favorite aloha clothing, and each piece would come with a story built in.

[ Edited by: cy 2018-02-20 20:36 ]

H
Hamo posted on Sat, Feb 24, 2018 10:06 PM

A couple of MaukaHale’s “Rose Parade” themes are interesting, specifically “Tiki Dreams Come True” and “Oh, the Tiki Places You’ll Go!”

MadDogMike is waiting to see how many more people want to participate in this swap and also to add ideas.
Don't delay the clock is ticking. Wendy

I'm in

It always makes my heart smile to participate in the TAS... so I'm definitely in! :)

My theme suggestion is,"I Dream of Tiki". It would challenge our mind's eye to discover infinite dimensions and create beyond the surreal.

I like Movie or TV tikis a lot or even my favorite tiki but I don't know if I will be participating. I've lost my create mojo as of late but even if I don't participate I'll be cheering you all on from the sidelines!

Miss you all!

Hi guys, I have not forgotten this thread :lol: Been busy but hope to be free(er) after this weekend. My problem is that I don't have access to my Art Swap e-mail list and I want to be sure to send a notification to some of the past participants who may not venture onto TC as frequently. Should be able to hook that up early next week

MadDogMike Excellent!

Good! because I need to lose a few pounds before this swap gets started.

[ Edited by: MaukaHale 2018-03-02 13:42 ]

T

Alohaaaaaaa!

I've been MIA on TC for a bit (work, work, work, family), and out of the loop in the studio. Mike, thanks for reaching out.

I'm for a more "focused" theme than "anything tiki," since it lets us flex our mental muscles and think outside the box.

Looking at lists that Mike has compiled in the past, can I throw "Pufferfish" into the mix? Or, dare I say... Tiki Bob???

Mauka Hale, great ideas- I think "It's Magical Tiki" could make for some fun approaches.

(Mike, I'm one to have left this lush place a deserted island, my apologies. I have been lazy, and posting pics of ceramics from phone to Instagram take a lot less effort, especially w/ a three year old running around and trying to manage three businesses, plus leaving time to drink, ha!)

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2018-03-01 12:02 ]

TikiAno just when I was going to turn you in as a missing person you show up. You are a busy man. Have some fun too. Wendy

PS I love Tiki Bob

On 2018-02-28 19:34, MaukaHale wrote:
Good! because I need to loose a few pounds before this swap gets started.

My goal is to lose 10 lbs this year. So far I only have 15 more to go :wink:

T

Mike, I'm right there with you! :)

Wendy, I'm still kicking around. I get to see your work on Facebook, which keeps me smiling! :) :)

Tick tock tick tock

MadDogMike is this the theme? Tikis that need to lose weight?

TikiAno I'm watching your son grow up on facebook which is a lot of fun.

hang10tiki a tiki that needs to lose weight because the clock is ticking?

MadDogMike since you do all the work to run the Swap I'm fine with you choosing the subject matter. One vote for that.

Cheers, Wendy

M

Wendy,

You are so talented the topic could be "trailer trash tiki" and you would still make something very eloquent.

H
Hamo posted on Sat, Mar 3, 2018 4:05 PM

On 2018-03-03 08:44, danlovestikis wrote:
MadDogMike is this the theme? Tikis that need to lose weight?

Ha! I’d vote for that. :)

T

Jon's in a hurry, or is he suggesting a "Time for Tiki" theme???

Wendy, I thought the terrible 2s were tough. I'm too old for the three's! :wink: :wink:

MaukaHale now that's a big word to use. I'll have to look it up before I say thank you!

Hamo I could be the model.

TikiAno these are the years you build up your strength for when he is in his teen years.

Ano- welcome back bruddah
Don’t work to hard
As far as the 3’s: that’s when they start biting you

Just sharpening my tools
Awaiting a Mad Dog “on you mark, get set, go!!!”

T
TU posted on Sun, Mar 4, 2018 2:40 PM

Hey everyone. I also do not frequent much anymore. I was going to post a pic of the progress of tiki design in my backyard but i can't post pics from my phone. I will be busy being the coolest grandpa in the world this summer...but i will check in to see all the art!! Have a blast!!

Has anyone thought about turning tiki central into a Facebook page?

Check out this post of mine from 9 years ago.

On 2009-08-23 10:07, MadDogMike wrote:
I'm a PROCRASTINATOR!!!! Here's what I should be doing instead of playing with clay:

Also - remodeling the bathroom, getting in shape to re-start Karate after 1 1/2 years off, building decorative faux surfboards for the church, helping my wife plan a baby shower for my upcoming grandson, etc, etc, etc. Instead, I'm playing with clay and epoxy! "Hi, my name is Mike and I'm a procrastinator"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Update. I have moved out of that house (4 years ago) and have finally got it rented out. I has been taking up all my time but:
I sold the truck several years ago
I cleaned the shed out this week

I paid someone to rake the leaves
That grass died several years ago when I quit watering it.
I finally remodeled the bathroom last month
Never did get back in shape
Don't remember what happened to the faux surfboards?
The baby shower was a success, that "baby" is now 8 years old and has 2 brothers

I've finally got the house about all wrapped up - time to have some fun! I will have a theme for our Art Swap by THIS FRIDAY :D

Mermaid; the original Surf 'n Turf. Long Pig on top and Ahi below.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2018-03-04 17:32 ]

MadDogMike that was very entertaining. Looking forward to the Friday announcement. Wendy

T

Mike, I have plenty for you to do at my house, just let me know when to expect you!!!! Hahaha

Wendy, thanks, good advice.

Jon, thanks braddah. I need to check on your thread to see what you've been making.

Even for someone who has spent time away from TC, I think the point of TC has been that it's not Facebook, right?

That being said, it might be cool to do an instagram account with photos of the progress people are making for the Swap. If anything else, it might attract more people to TC, and maybe get some who have left to come back and play.

Mike, thanks again for all, and bigger thanks for the email heads up re: this Swap!

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Mar 5, 2018 10:01 PM

I’m crossing my fingers for the overweight tiki theme; I’ve just found some inspiration:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=20545&forum=1&vpost=379948

TikiAno Tiki Central is superior to facebook and so easy to navigate. facebook has so many tiki sites going that I've given up even looking at them. So you are right TC isn't fb and that's such a good thing.

Hamo you ruined it. I can't blackmail Dan with that photo any longer now that it's out and has gone viral. Thanks a lot!

Wendy

M

On 2018-03-05 22:01, Hamo wrote:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=20545&forum=1&vpost=379948

Hamo, you've uncovered a thread I haven't seen yet. There are some great pictures to look at!

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Mar 6, 2018 9:34 PM

Oh, Wendy, we all know Dan is in much better shape than that, what with 150 lb molds to lift every day.

On 2018-03-06 15:40, MaukaHale wrote:
Hamo, you've uncovered a thread I haven't seen yet. There are some great pictures to look at!

Yes, if one can wade through all the other stuff there....

So Mike
Topic to be posted Friday
Great

I checked the MadDogMike web cam
It seems as if our Tiki leader is busy
Thinking
I logged into the cam 2 days ago and again this morning
Well
He umm
He’s just sitting there thinking about the topic I guess
He hasn’t moved in days
And it’s only Wednesday
Wow
Can’t wait for the decision
Maybe someone should run over and start an IV on him to keep him hydrated
Just sayin

Jon,

I've missed your humor. That's one thing FB doesn't have.

Hello Lori
Ummmm, what do you mean?
That’s all true

Wow, I forgot I made that cannibal Tiki Bob. Thanks for posting. MadDogMike it's nice to see you relaxing but the clock is ticking! Wendy

Wendy- your mugs are awesome

T

It looks like Jon is trying to rig the voting in a certain Bob direction???? Hmmm....

hang10tiki thank you, that was fun to read.

TikiAno Ha! I put this in our file.

Tic Toc Tic Toc.....

Ano- what do u mean?

T

Hmmm.... Jon, can we meet in the middle?

Waitaminute!

This one is better:

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2018-03-08 13:55 ]

H
Hamo posted on Thu, Mar 8, 2018 7:38 PM

Hmm, maybe the theme will be Photoshopped Dan. Lots and lots of inspiration to draw from there....

I'm glad you guys have had your fun at my expense :lol: :D :P

I looked through all the suggestions and found one theme that came up three different times. Dreams come True in Tiki was motioned and seconded, then I Dream of Tiki came up. So I'm gonna combine them into "Dream Tiki". That gives us a pretty broad catagory - could be a Tiki you dream up, could be your dream Tiki, could be a Barbara Eden Jeannie Tiki, could be Tiki sheep jumping over a fence. But somehow keep it within that theme.

On your mark, get set, GO!!!

Dang you Mike
Your announcement alarm woke me up out of a great dream

MadDogMike that works out very well. Right now for the Wish List I am making Jeannie's bottle and Jeanne. It's taking a month for this project so I'll move on to a different idea for this swap. Most likely will be.... nope a surprise.

hang10tiki you are so cute when sleeping!

Wendy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 288 replies