Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

You know the coco Lopez in a squeeze bottle. Well I have pumpkin flavored. What can I do with it?

Pages: 1 15 replies

What can I make with the pumpkin syrup. I was thinkin instead of a pina colada I could make like a pumpkin colada but no idea what citrus or ratios. Anyone have experience with this stuff?

K

On 2018-03-30 17:28, myrongainesbrah wrote:
Well I have pumpkin flavored. What can I do with it?

I think what you have is the Real brand pumpkin infused syrup. (Pic below) I don't have experience with it, but wouldn't immediately trash it unless it tasted absolutely vile. Some potentially laugh-inducing thoughts, off the top of my head, are:

Be brave and consider "rescuing" it with some experiments. Take inspiration from other cocktails which can act as a base for creating something new, and which might go well with the pumpkin flavor. Since the pumpkin flavor can be quite strong in the syrup, you may try to balance (offset) it with a bourbon or whiskey. Pumpkin is not tropical, so I would avoid pineapple and lime juices, but lemon is something I would definitely consider. Could pumpkin/bourbon/lemon work? I think it could, in the right ratios. Add simple syrup if the cocktail isn't sweet enough from the Real pumpkin syrup itself. Try some bitters, like Fee Bros Walnut. Or Chocolate/Mole bitters. Or maybe avoid bitters altogether. And what if you added a splash of gin instead of bitters? Would pumpkin/gin work better than pumpkin/bourbon/whiskey?

You have a lot of options. As long as you enjoy the taste of pumpkin, and don't overdo it, you may surprise yourself with something that works. It may not be your top favorite in the history of cocktails, but it is a good way to experiment with cocktails and ingredients behind your bar. So go for it and let us know what you decide and how it turns out. And yes, kkocka's suggestion remains a good option if you just can't get any good results. But I would try it just for kicks.

Is this stuff actually pumpkin flavored or just pumpkin pie spice flavored? Because those are two very different things.

[ Edited by: PalmtreePat 2018-04-02 12:30 ]

All the coffee shops have pumpkin and spice flavored coffees around halloween/thanksgiving time. Guessing maybe try using it in coffee. More adventurous? Maybe try whipping up some kind of Kaluha and pumpkin type of cocktail.

howlinowl

On 2018-04-02 12:29, PalmtreePat wrote:
Is this stuff actually pumpkin flavored or just pumpkin pie spice flavored? Because those are two very different things.

It says "pumpkin puree infused" on the bottle. No reference to "pumpkin spice" at all. So my guess is "no" to the spice, "yes" to pumpkin.

I like the other suggestion of trying it with Kahlua. Might work. Might not.

On 2018-04-02 13:20, AceExplorer wrote:

It says "pumpkin puree infused" on the bottle. No reference to "pumpkin spice" at all. So my guess is "no" to the spice, "yes" to pumpkin.

I finally found it on their website and they say its made from both pumpkins and spice (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg). So I guess you could see how it works in a recipe where you'd normally just use cinnamon syrup?

C
croe67 posted on Wed, Apr 4, 2018 8:49 AM

I like this product a lot.
We used it in some of the holiday cocktails we had on our home bar menu.
And, yes, it is pumpkin & spices and has a nice flavor.
It works nicely with dark molasses-y rums, which is the direction I went when developing cocktails for it, so I'd suggest heading in thst direction.
Have fun!

On 2018-04-04 08:49, croe67 wrote:
It works nicely with dark molasses-y rums, which is the direction I went when developing cocktails for it, so I'd suggest heading in thst direction.
Have fun!

Did you by any chance write any of the recipes down?

On 2018-04-02 13:20, AceExplorer wrote:

It tastes like pumpkin pie plain and simple. Its delicious

C

On 2018-04-04 09:39, myrongainesbrah wrote:

Have fun!

I did, but I'm keeping them private, but if you play with dark molasses-y rum & some nice spicy (e.g., cardamom, allspice, etc.) bitters, you'll be heading in a direction that worked well for me.

C

Oh - and I just remembered that is also plays REALLY well with Bourbon, too, so that's another good spot to explore

Found this in my local a couple of days ago.....reminded me of your post.

Didn't have a camera phone, so I was forced to pick it up and bring it home.

Tried it straight and also in a cup of coffee, I liked it both ways. If you got some Capm' Morgan sittin' 'round....you might try experimenting with that.

howlinowl

On 2018-04-04 11:48, croe67 wrote:

On 2018-04-04 09:39, myrongainesbrah wrote:

Have fun!

I did, but I'm keeping them private, but if you play with dark molasses-y rum & some nice spicy (e.g., cardamom, allspice, etc.) bitters, you'll be heading in a direction that worked well for me.

I just wish you wanted to share. With the fact I don't know what to make with it

I made a cocktail that was second in a competition. I wouldnt call it Tiki but I still make it for my guests.

I call it Jaguar
1.5oz Santa Teresa 1796.
0.5oz brandy or pisco Italia for better results
0.5oz cachaza
0.5oz creme of coconut liquour
0.5oz tomato vinegar (homemade).
0.5oz passion fruit pulp (you can add 1 oz of this instead of the vinegar)
1.5oz tepache (fermented pineapple husk with molasses)
0.5oz pumpkin syrup
0.5oz orgeat
2 dashes Peychaud.

LaraColada,
That’s sounds incredible!! I especially love the use of tepache, which I just tried for the first time at Tonga Hut. Marie told everyone about it, and how to make it during one of the Rum-Ruhm Club events. The pumpkin seems like it would go well....but, I am very curious about the Tomato vinegar. I think this is essentially a Tomato Shrub, correct?

Do you filter and strain the tomato vinegar? Or do you leave some pulp for texture?

Pages: 1 15 replies