Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Outdoor lighting shades

Pages: 1 7 replies

I

This isn't tiki, but I know that most of you also enjoy vintage lifestyle. When I moved into my house years ago, there were two lights hard wired under the cement. They stand about 2 feet off the ground. They originally had these fiberglass, mushroom shaped shades over them. They were all faded and ugly and I was stupid and didn't know any better, so I took them off and threw them away. I can't find anyone, anywhere who can reproduce them. Does anyone have any suggestions? I wouldn't know where to start to try and make replacements. Thanks

Photos of what you currently have might be a useful starting point. I'm having a hard time visualizing what you describe.

I

Problem is I can't locate a photo anywhere and the ones that were here are long gone. They looked like up-side-down bowls only shallow and wide. I can't think of how else to describe them. I had no idea they were so rare, I remember seeing them when I was a kid. Sort of like half of a flying saucer. Very 1960's. Here is the actual in ground fixture.. The shade would mount on the posts at the top, light bulb in the middle.

Does this help? If I knew how to do fiberglass work I would try and make my own but it wouldn't be the same without the swirl they used to put in fiberglass back in the day

Well, that certainly helps, considering the idea I had forming in my head doesn't match anything in those images. This isn't really my field of expertise, but I'd think you could re-purpose some current dome lighting to work with these.

T

My wife wanted me to buy these but I said "I would if there were at least two of them"
that's when she saw there was THREE of them.

So here's the ones she found.

That top is just spray painted on there.
I would look for any shade that would work, metal is what you will most likely find.

Or even buy sheet copper and make one yourself till you can find just the right shade.

Good luck!

On 2020-03-17 05:53, tikiskip wrote:
My wife wanted me to buy these but I said "I would if there were at least two of them"

Skip, your wife is very wise. those are very cool!
Cheers

Those are so cool! They remind me of something you would see around a pool back when motels were fun to stay in on a road trip.

T

Yeah glad we got em.
Need to put them outside somewhere and install them.

Takes me forever to do anything these days.

Pages: 1 7 replies