Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Wahtiki Island Lounge, Hong Kong, China (bar)

Pages: 1 2 replies

J

Name:Wahtiki Island Lounge
Type:bar
Street:3/F, Seabird House, 22-28 Wyndham Street
City:Hong Kong
State:
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
Opened about a year ago, just down the street from the Honi Honi, the other tiki bar in Hong Kong. Wahtiki is owned by Phil, the son of the long-time head bartender/manager of the London Trader Vic's in the 70's, 80, and into the 90's. It has a more modern feel that was obviously influenced by Trader Vic's. Their drinks are based on the original Trader Vic's recopies, I had a long talk with Phil about them when I was there.

Drinks:
Wahtiki Sling - This is just the original tRader Vic's sling with a different name
Original Mai Tai - Te original TV's mai tai recipe, not the new one that uses the branded TV's juice.
Mojito - This is based on the recipe the Cuban embassy in London asked Phil's Dad to use when they arranged an offsite event with Trader Vic's when he was the head guy there. They grow the mint on their patio.

The food was good as well, we particularly liked the crab bombs. I had both the Wahtiki Sling and the original Mai Tai, liked them both.

[ Edited by: JasonMa 2018-05-18 16:06 ]

[ Edited by: JasonMa 2018-05-29 18:48 ]

On 2018-05-18 16:05, JasonMa wrote:

Mojito - This is based on the recipe the Cuban embassy in London asked Phil's Dad to use when they arranged an offsite event with Trader Vic's when he was the head guy there. They grow the mint on their patio.

This is a ridiculously alluring bit of info.

J

On 2018-05-18 17:16, HopeChest wrote:

On 2018-05-18 16:05, JasonMa wrote:

This is a ridiculously alluring bit of info.

Yeah, for all I know it was a bit of marketing BS to sell the place, but Phil and his Dad were enjoying telling stories about his time at TV's so it seemed legit. if nothing else they were both great guys to listen to talk about the old days. And I liked the Sling and Mai Tai more than the ones I had at the London TV's last year so the "original" recipes seem better.

Pages: 1 2 replies