Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Bali, Singapore, and Hong Kong - Upcoming Travel

Pages: 1 5 replies

L

Hi friends! We're heading out to Bali, Singapore, and Hong Kong in July. Anyone know of any great tiki bars we need to hit up? Would especially love to know if there were any venues that sold custom mugs so we could bring a souvenir home from the trip!

Thanks for any tips!

I almost had to go to Singapore for work last September so I looked into this at that time. I couldn't find anything we'd consider a proper tiki bar out there - no thatch, no floats, no bamboo, no mugs. Only regular bars who have incorporated tiki drinks into their existing cocktail programs. There's this one poke (fish) restaurant that serves tiki drinks at night but that was the only place I found with a full-on tiki drink menu. However, it was a fairly lacklustre sounding drinks list:

http://www.alohapoke.com.sg/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Aloha_NightMenu.pdf

One thing I did notice is that drinks are definitely expensive out there.

Hope you had a good time!

When I visited Singapore 10 years ago, they had a Trader Vics, but that location doesn't show up on the TV website, so they're apparently closed now.

I also went to the Raffles Hotel bar, which claims to have invented the Singapore Sling, but according to their website, they're closed for restoration until the end of this year.

Even without Tiki, Singapore was a fun place to visit. The Hindu quarter was a real treat, and eating chilli crab at a restaurant on the beach was the highlight of my trip.

[ Edited by: MrBaliHai 2018-08-11 04:58 ]

S
santa posted on Wed, Nov 20, 2019 5:01 AM

Any updates on Bali?

S
santa posted on Wed, Nov 20, 2019 5:01 AM

Any updates on Bali?

L
lgnet posted on Sat, Nov 23, 2019 3:24 PM

We went last year and the only place that we were able to find anything close to a tiki mug was at the Potato Head in Seminyak. It's more like a beach nightclub/concert venue, but they have a tiki vibe and tiki drinks. They also had and sold these carved wood "mugs". I think they're made out of teak wood and are kind of like a wooden beer koozie that a glass cup was placed inside. It has the name of the restaurant stamped on the bottom. They had two sizes, a tall one and a short one. When we were there they only had one short one left and I managed to get it.

I imagine they have gotten more in stock since then. It sounded like they started selling them because people kept stealing them :)

Pages: 1 5 replies