Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Loma Kai Sailing Club and Grotto! UPD: July 2022

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 275 replies

Catching up on some pictures here. A couple of outside shots.

The 2 overhead hung sliding doors, next to the lava rock panel.

From inside, looking at the bamboo window

E
eroc posted on Wed, Mar 11, 2020 7:38 AM

drool

Question, since the panels are outdoor facing, what did you use to weatherproof them?

On 2020-03-11 07:38, eroc wrote:
drool

Question, since the panels are outdoor facing, what did you use to weatherproof them?

Eroc, thanks for asking - I used a quality outdoor varnish - with multiple coats and light sanding between. Those panels are hardwood so they tend to hold and keep better with varnish (my opinion)... but also as those panels are old tongue & groove I did have to go back and put some silicone in the gaps. All good - from time to time I have to wd40 the bronze sail track slides that they are on - but even heavy they slide well.

Methinks w8n2srf is going to do some more updates here - looking forward to sharing the rest with you all!

Mahalo, -Commodore

It all looks good!

M

Just keeps getting better and better!

M

Beautiful woodwork W8! :tiki: :)

B

Love the carvings on the door, very well done!

Here's some shots of our Vintage Fabulous 'Fridge Front Door

Great work here, and I love he used real bamboo for the structural rafters....

Just imagine the Conch Shell blowing in the background....

Guys, that is lush. I am amazed at the first-class, top-of-the-line treatments in every aspect of this build. I love the router panel doors. The lava stone work is a magnificent accent. The bamboo window is perfect because, you know, what else could go there but that? That fridge door is insane and I'll say it now--you could make a killing renting it out by the hour via Air BnB to tikiphiles passing through, looking for a fix of tiki nirvana.

BB

Fantastic, in the most literal sense, and it only keeps getting better!

W

A couple interior shots as Commodore nears completion. Mounted some weapons up!

These are the bent bamboo structural bar supports, that are functional

Our intention was always to have a working bar. Here's the ice machine and mini-fridge. Also using an electric pebble ice maker.

Lauralee's Bench, with the pivot screen window

Thanks for all the encouragement. We are close to the grand opening for this one man project!

D

The site is back up!

Wow--everything about this is fantastic. Done with taste, attention to detail and master craftsmanship. Bravo--you've set the bar very high!

C

thanks StolenIdol... we certainly put a lot of time into it and couldn't have planned it better... got it finished right before a global pandemic hit. lol! We lost a few of the update pages when TC went down - we'll get some more pictures up soon.

great to see everyone back and have TC again!

-Commodore

W

Hey crew-

Well, we lost quite a bit of postings when Tiki Central went down, about 5 or 6 pages it looks like. I'll do some updating and see what pics I have available. What you need to know is that the Loma Kai SC&G HAS BEEN FULLY OPEN AND FUNCTIONAL for quite some time now. It was a welcome respite for many during the pandemic, and remains so today. Looking forward now to Tiki Oasis in a few weeks, may be having some villagers over while they are in town. More soon!

W

IMG_2797IMG_2808IMG_2771

[ Edited by W8N2Surf on 2022-07-17 06:56:25 ]

W

Just posting some "catch up" pictures! Some may be on here somewhere already so forgive!

IMG_2775IMG_2755IMG_2760IMG_2761

W

IMG_2762IMG_2764IMG_2769

W

IMG_7311dfgdgddferteyg

[ Edited by W8N2Surf on 2022-07-17 06:57:38 ]

W

Red Right Returning

FullSizeRender(23)FullSizeRender(22) FullSizeRender(21)

[ Edited by W8N2Surf on 2022-07-17 06:16:46 ]

[ Edited by W8N2Surf on 2022-07-17 06:17:20 ]

W

Carved out the sign that fills in the bow under the roof eaves....

IMG_0114IMG_0113IMG_0110

W

The Commodore himself

IMG_0094

[ Edited by W8N2Surf on 2022-07-17 06:24:30 ]

W

Wall 'O Rum!

IMG_2816

W

Fall of 2019!

IMG_2862IMG_7298

M

Looks outstanding! I really like those swing/pivot window screens.

What a great place to hang out. I like the beam to the entrance!

Haven't updated in a while... here are some shots from the Loma Kai's opening party... this was October 2019... finished the bar just in time before the pandemic hit... what a blessing to have this as a place of refuge during the lockdown for sure!IMG_7615

IMG_7616 shot of the bar with the side doors open... this is great when things start overflowing... LomaKai is comfortable for about 6 people... then the doors typically come open. We've slowly been bringing in more pieces to help accentuate the outside - thinking about some fold down ship-grate tables perhaps... not there yet

IMG_7603 One of my favorite shots of the bar front... really dig how it all ties together. When people ask, 'you have a home bar?' this is what I show them. lol

IMG_7733

Grog's anyone?

I hand carved these name boards... took awhile but I'm pleased with them and think they turned out ok IMG_7715

they fit right above the main doorway and they open and close vertically IMG_7898

Here they are open... with the shape of the roof - cracking these open really lets any warm air just slide up and out of the bar - works realy well - so glad when this stuff comes together IMG_7899

D

Bravo and congratulations on a job well done! It's been quite the journey that you allowed us to join you on but there is no denying that it was as fascinating for us as it was rewarding for you.

Speechless at your ingenuity. Stunning work.

N

What a great thing to have and hang out in. This is gorgeous. Great work. Huge effort. I love all the bent wood projects in this especially.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 275 replies