Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Ordered to Build a shelf, or else!

Pages: 1 16 replies

So as it happens, I sort of ordered rather a lot of tiki mugs over the last few weeks, about 35 of them, although 7 are still en route.

Needless to say, Mrs. Sandbartender wasn't overjoyed with the fact that the entire length of the bar top was now covered in mugs.
Something may have been said along the lines of "Sort some storage, or it would be a shame of one mug a day 'accidentally' fell off the bar." LOL.

Needless to say, shelving, and a fair bit of it, was in order.

Due to the nature of the walls in the lowest level where the bar is, the shelving is going to need brackets. LOTS of brackets (and it will need attaching to the ceiling as well, but we'll get there later)

Rather than some plain old brackets, I decided to do Moai brackets in rough cut cedar-

Initial profile pattern

Starting the rough shaping

Roughed out

I decided to go with a shou-sugi-ban finish (ala Witco).
Luckily, it's only 20*f out in the garage, so all that torch-work is keeping me warm :D

Everyone queued up and ready for a good charring.

Charred, pre-brushing

The whole crew after a good brushing

The shelves have been cut, front profile beaded, and they've been given a char, brush, and EVERYTHING has been given a first sealing coat, but it's too dark for me to get decent pix tonite.
More finish coats tomorrow, and hopefully shelf mounting on Sunday!

Now, it's off for a Zombie and a movie. I've worked up a powerful thirst over the last few days.

“The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy also mentions alcohol. It says that the best drink in existence is the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster, the effect of which is like having your brains smashed out with a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick.”

[ Edited by: Sandbartender 2018-12-07 17:30 ]

[ Edited by: Sandbartender 2018-12-08 05:58 ]

[ Edited by: Sandbartender 2018-12-08 06:25 ]

[ Edited by: Sandbartender 2018-12-08 06:26 ]

H

Great job, keep us posted.

T

Looks good, man. Interested to see how you're attaching the brackets to the wall.

On 2018-12-08 07:24, TheBigT wrote:
Looks good, man. Interested to see how you're attaching the brackets to the wall.

In that, at least, I already have a solution sorted.

Keyhole hangers

Just a little bit of routing on the back and they lay nice and flush with room for a heavy duty screw head.

Got the brackets all level and hung. The shelves aren't secured yet (I need some very very long screws), but you get the idea of the overall effect

When mounted , the upper shelf will be 8', the lower shelf is 5'

C
cy posted on Mon, Dec 10, 2018 8:55 AM

Those look great Sandbartender!

Well done! I love the creativity here!

Thanks all. I finally got the shelves attached and the riggings tied (although I need to find my spike to tighten things up a bit more before I load the shelves.

Job well done
The Rapa Nui spirits will be happy I’m sure

Cheers

BB

Very nice, indeed!

T

Looks great!
But, to quote Pee wee "there's always a big butt"

Knots, look up How to tie knots or tying knots and put a nautical twist to that shelf.
the Hangman's Noose looks great and you can put the shelf hanger in the hangman loop when you tie it.
The only hard part is getting it to be as tite as you need it to be.

But if you tie it a few times it works as I have done it.

You can also burn the rope a bit to age it and even shellac the rope after you burn it and this looks great too.

How to Tie the Hangman's Noose - ITS Knot of the Week HD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMCFoudyYxQ

T

This looks like a good knot too.
Would add more rings to it though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_VU4KOBn5A

On 2018-12-11 08:18, tikiskip wrote:
Looks great!
But, to quote Pee wee "there's always a big butt"

Knots, look up How to tie knots or tying knots and put a nautical twist to that shelf.
the Hangman's Noose looks great and you can put the shelf hanger in the hangman loop when you tie it.
The only hard part is getting it to be as tite as you need it to be.

But if you tie it a few times it works as I have done it.

You can also burn the rope a bit to age it and even shellac the rope after you burn it and this looks great too.

How to Tie the Hangman's Noose - ITS Knot of the Week HD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMCFoudyYxQ

Thanks! I think you're right- I definitely need to weather the ropes a bit.
This knot is actually a VERY old knot (think square sailed ships), the Buntline Hitch. Up until recently it had fallen out of use, but it was discovered to hold very fast on some of the kevlar ropes,
so it's made something of a return to service.

This rope is very stiff, which is why I need to find my tools. Gotta work the slack out of the knots. LOL.

I'm planning to dangle a few things from the underside of the upper shelf. Some floats (lit with fairy lights), and possibly a skull or three like this

Skulls r cool.

T

Nice job SB. So the ropes are functional? It looks like you have enough supports without needing the rope - however, the rope is actually pretty killer!

I like the keyhole hangers. Have to steal that one. Never seen those before.

On 2018-12-11 15:29, TheBigT wrote:
Nice job SB. So the ropes are functional? It looks like you have enough supports without needing the rope - however, the rope is actually pretty killer!

I like the keyhole hangers. Have to steal that one. Never seen those before.

Thanks!
The shelves are a bit front-heavy, as I didn't want 6" deep Moai, the ropes are more of a precaution (and added decoration) than absolutely necessary,
but I've always believed that you can never have too much overkill. So the tensioned ropes are there should there be more stress than the 5" building screws might like to handle on their own.
The cedar is pretty soft.

Keyhole hangars are AMAZING, the only thing that's a PITA is making sure that the distance between the top of your bracket and the very top of the keyholes are all the same. Otherwise,
you need to change the drop distance for your mounting screw. One of mine was 1/16" off, but I caught it before I set the screw in place, luckily.

Much less of an issue if you're only mounting one thing. Then they are awesome, and snug the object nice and tight against the wall, so there's less risk of something getting bumped free
by a passing elbow. They're also very inexpensive. :)

Shelf brackets look fantastic!

Pages: 1 16 replies