Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: Mai Tai jello shots.

Pages: 1 15 replies

T

I know, I know shots are not really a tiki bar thing.

These would be perfect for a "Chicie" bar.

BUT I saw this recipe and made it today.
Don't know how good it is yet but I did make some with lime peel and one with lemon peel.

Can't help but think these might need some Curacao and other fix ups.

Also added some Orgeat instead of the Almond extract.

Going to make Mint whip cream as the topping for sure.

Come on you TC drink experts I know we can do better than this one.

Mai Tai Jell-o shots.
READY IN:
4hrs 30mins SERVES: 30

INGREDIENTS NUTRITION
• 1 (3 ounce) box orange Jell-O
• 1 (3 ounce) box pineapple Jell-O
• 2 cups rum
• almond extract to taste, few drops,
DIRECTIONS

1. Pour jell-o into a LARGE bowl.
  2. Add two cups boiling water and stir at least three minutes to dissolve jell-o.
  3. Allow to cool.
  4. Add the rum and almond extract to taste.
  5. Pour into small cups, about 1 1/2 ounces per portion.
  6. Chill at least four hours.
  7. Enjoy!

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2019-02-19 07:03 ]

I almost think tiki jello shots would be a good way for a tiki bar to pad out their bottom line. Have a menu of real cocktails for the real tikiheads, for sure, but keep a brace of colorful Castillo and Diamond Head-based jello shooters on hand to draw in the "cocktails are meant to mask the alcohol so I can get drunk as fast as possible" club crowd and get them spending their money.

"cocktails are meant to mask the alcohol so I can get drunk as fast as possible"

Wait? is that a bad thing?

The thing about Jell-O shots is, lets say it takes forever to get a drink in your tiki bar so people come up order their drinks and they want four Jell-O shots also.
The shots are instant as they are made, you throw those up first and go about making the drinks now the people are happy as they got something really quickly.

Also I would have a girl walking around selling these shots too, like to the people waiting for your mixologist to get done dickin around making drinks.
The mint whip cream could be left out or you could give her a Whip in ice to serve whip cream.

A Whip is a device to make whip cream with.

You can bet at least half of the people in your bar will buy these.

This is a whip or whipper.
You put cream in it and get it really cold and the cream comes out whipped.

It is also used to make foams and espumas.

As a vegetarian I am unable to eat Jell-O, otherwise I would be all over this!

However, I really, REALLY like the idea of mint whipped cream. I've done a lilikoi (passion fruit) whipped cream before with our whipper, which was outstanding. I reckon you'd have to use a mint extract?

T

"I reckon you'd have to use a mint extract?"

No, No I am putting real mint and sugar in the cream and getting flavor that way.
Now to find my damn whip.

You can just mix with a blender too.

So I tried the shots as made above and they are VERY boozie.
Now when I think it's too boozie, well it's WAY too boozie.

So I would go with one and maybe a 1/4 cups of rum.
I did use one cup of dark and one cup of white rum.

BUT they do have a good flavor and I think this could be good one day.

On 2019-02-19 15:26, tikiskip wrote:

No, No I am putting real mint and sugar in the cream and getting flavor that way.

Nice! That certainly has to taste better. And now I am realising that I have no idea why I didn't think of making a mint simple syrup before for this application.

T

"making a mint simple syrup before for this application."

Was not sure how the extra liquid would effect the whip cream, ie water it down so I did it in the cream with no extra liquid.
Now we need to see if it will whip rightly.

Side note I did make a few with lime juice and lime peel in the mix.
The lime peel too limey, the lime juice did make it better and the Jell-O did set right so, Add lime juice.

It even made them taste less boozie.

Also real fresh pineapple will make your Jell-O not set, while pineapple from a can is ok and your Jell-O will set right.

Got that from the Jell-O cookbook, remember when Jell-O was thought to be a salad?

On 2019-02-20 04:58, tikiskip wrote:

Got that from the Jell-O cookbook, remember when Jell-O was thought to be a salad?

EVERY SINGLE TIME that we went to my grandmother's house there was pan of Jell-O with grated carrot and raisins in it, which was "salad" for the grandkids. Thanks for bringing that trauma back, Skip.

On 2019-02-19 11:17, tikiskip wrote:
"cocktails are meant to mask the alcohol so I can get drunk as fast as possible"

Wait? is that a bad thing?

The thing about Jell-O shots is, lets say it takes forever to get a drink in your tiki bar so people come up order their drinks and they want four Jell-O shots also.
The shots are instant as they are made, you throw those up first and go about making the drinks now the people are happy as they got something really quickly.

Also I would have a girl walking around selling these shots too, like to the people waiting for your mixologist to get done dickin around making drinks.
The mint whip cream could be left out or you could give her a Whip in ice to serve whip cream.

A Whip is a device to make whip cream with.

You can bet at least half of the people in your bar will buy these.

You make an interesting point. The accursed dries have made it illegal to give away free booze, so you can't do a proper welcome drink like Sloppy Joe's and the Caribe Hilton used to do, but a sign out front reading "$1 Hurricane Jello Shots" would certainly get people in the door.

You know with the very high profit margin of booze every bar should give away some drinks.

The problem is who they give the drinks to.
The bartenders give it to their friends and girls they like, people who end up spending very little at the bar.

The owners do the same thing.

BUT you want to give drinks to your regulars and or people who have spent a bunch at your bar.
But in reality the regulars and big spenders end up waiting for the bartender to get done entertaining their friends.

Have seen this time and time again.

My friend owned a bar and I ended up hiring a person that knew somebody that worked for him well this person said they NEVER paid for drinks.
This persons friend worked the door they were not even a bartender!

AND this person was not great looking, If that person got free drinks who was paying I thought.

I gave out food to people that helped the restaurant out and even bought drinks for people that ate at my restaurant all the time and would see the people I bought drinks for the next day in my restaurant.

Man that's just good will.

These new guys don't get it.

Find the cheap drink like fireball and give that crap out, it's like 9 bucks a bottle.

I did get very tired of pretending to like EVERYBODY after ten years.

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Feb 20, 2019 10:39 PM

Never have I ever made nor consumed a jello shot. And I went to college for five years.

Since this recipe includes pineapple Jell-O, I'd call it a (Royal) Hawaiian Mai Tai Jello Shot. If it's too boozy even for Skip, to more closely match the drink's recipe from Remixed, and to include some fresh fruit juice, maybe it could be reformulated to something like this:

1 3-oz box orange Jell-O
1 3-oz box pineapple Jell-O
3/4 c light rum
3/4 c dark rum
1/4 c lime juice
1/4 c lemon juice
1/2 tsp almond extract
2 c boiling water

Then maybe to better approximate Vic's original recipe:

1 3-oz box orange Jell-O
1 3-oz box lime Jell-O
3/4 c light rum
3/4 c dark rum
2-1/2 c boiling water
1 oz orgeat syrup (dissolved in the boiling water)

(Or just live it up and keep both the rum and water at 2 cups)

[ Edited by: Hamo 2019-02-20 22:41 ]

T

HopeChest how else were they going to get you to eat 1 teaspoon of carrots and like five raisins Ha!
They got you to eat vegetables AND fruit!

"(Or just live it up and keep both the rum and water at 2 cups)"

Well my drinks for me are way too strong for my wife.
I have always tried to make my drinks for others not taste strong though.

My friend owned a bar but his girlfriends always wanted me to make their drinks, That kinda pissed him off.
His drinks sucked though.

But in your bar you need to have booze in your drinks but don't want them so strong that people get blasted too fast and leave or get sick.

My brother made Jell-O shots for my friends bar when he tended bar and they had so much booze in them they would not set up, gel.

My brother always gave away the store to be everybody's friend and get big tips.
It worked.

T

It is done.
Not perfect but if I was sold this in a tiki bar I would be ok with it.
And these are not as boozie tasting after a day sitting plus with the mint cream, do need the fresh lime juice though.

The mint whip cream works with this well but could be left out.

Side note be sure to spray a nonstick on your mold if you want to unmold your Jell-O shots as I did here or they will stick to the sides and tear.

On 2019-02-20 04:58, tikiskip wrote:

My gran used to do Tomato Aspic with carrots in, and mayo on the side. shudders

On 2019-02-21 06:00, tikiskip wrote:
It is done.
And these are not as boozie tasting after a day sitting plus with the mint cream, do need the fresh lime juice though.

Side note be sure to spray a nonstick on your mold if you want to unmold your Jell-O shots as I did here or they will stick to the sides and tear.

Dang- that's awfully pretty! I wouldn't pass one of those up.

On 2019-02-21 06:00, tikiskip wrote:
It is done.

I like that dark honey color. I was kind of worried that the combination of artificial colors in the jello and the caramel color you might find in many rums would produce something sludgy looking.

Pages: 1 15 replies