Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 4-3-19 Pop & Exotica

Pages: 1 0 replies

DZ

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge April 3, 2019

On this week’s Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge radio show we once again enjoyed an enteric exploration of pop and exotica music in all of its manifestations, with a special emphasis on the pop and jazz side of the equation.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge show is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm Eastern Standard Time (2-3 pm on the West Coast and 10-11 GMT in Europe) at http://www.radiofairfax.org. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

Past shows are now available to listen to in their entirety by streaming them at: https://www.mixcloud.com/Flashfriend/

1. “Invitation” was composed by Bonislaw Kaper and Paul F. Webster for the 1950 Lana Turner-Ray Milland movie: A Life of Her Own and was used two years later in the Dorothy Maguire-Van Johnson film that also was called Invitation. This 1961 version comes from the rich retrospective: The Definitive Dinah Washington.

2. “Frenesi,” written by Alberto Dominguez originally for the marimba, was performed by Esquivel and His Orchestra for their 1960 lux LP: Infinity in Sound.

3. “Them There Eyes,” the 1930 song by Maceo Pinkard, Doris Tauber and William Tracey, was warbled by Anita O’Day and is derived from the amorous anthology: In the Mood for Love.

4. “Street of Dreams,” the 1932 song inked by Victor Young and Sam M. Lewis, comes from the jazz trumpeter’s sonic spectacular: Chet Baker With Fifty Italian Strings, arranged and conducted by Len Mercer and recorded in Milan in 1959.

5. “Where Flamingos Fly,” written by Elthea Peale, Harold Courlander and John Benson Brooks, is deftly drawn from singer Helen Merrill’s 1956 labial LP: Dream of You, arranged and conducted by Gil Evans.

6. “The Disadvantages of You” by Mitch Leigh, was waxed by the Tenor Sax master, arranger and conductor Benny Golson and appeared on his 1967 telegenic LP: Tune In, Turn On – To the Hippest Commercials of the Sixties, featuring Eric Gale on Acoustic Guitar, Richard Tee on Clavichord, Art Farmer on Trumpet, James Tyrell on Bass, Bernard Purdie on Drums and Warren Smith on Percussion.

7. “If You Go” was the title song of singer Peggy Lee’s auspicious album from 1961, composed by Michel Emer with English lyrics from Rod McKuen. The session was arranged and conducted by Quincy Jones and spotlights the talents of Valerie Brilhart on Harp; Victor Feldman on Piano, Max Bennett on Bass, Francisco “Chino” Pozo on Bongos, and Mike Guitierrez and Melvin Zelnick on Percussion.

8. “Bye Bye Blackbird” was written in 1926 by Ray Henderson and Mort Dixon and superbly vocalized by Sammy Davis Jr. on his 1967 landmarkable LP: That’s All.

9. “I Am in Love” was composed by Cole Porter for the 1953 Broadway musical: Can-Can and etched with lightning in the 1966 righteous recording: Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Cole Porter Songbook, including Buddy Bregman’s Orchestra.

10. “Bali Ha'i” by Rodgers & Hammerstein for the 1949 Broadway musical: South Pacific, was sung by Stacey Kent on her 2003 scintillacious CD: In Love Again – The Music of Richard Rodgers, featuring her husband Jim Tomlinson on Flute, David Newton on Piano, Simon Thorpe on Bass and Jesper Kviberg on Drums.

11. “Catching Game” by Cecil Canterburn is drawn with tongs from the historical document: Music for Gracious Living 2.

12. “Siren Serenade” comes from vocalist Dianne Reeves’ inaugural efforts encapsulated in the comparable compact disc: The Palo Alto Sessions 1981-1985.

13. “Wouldn't It Be Nice?” was concocted by Tony Asher, Mike Love and Brian Wilson for the Beach Boys and was sung for us by Liz Callaway on her 2001 production: The Beat Goes On, with Alan Rybeck on Piano, Grant Geissman on Guitars, Dennis Farias and Darrell Gardner on Trumpets, Bob Carr and Phil Feather on Reeds, Gary Tole on Trombone, Amy Wilkins on Harp, Stephanie Mijanovish and Jean Marinelli on French Horns, Trey Henry on Bass and Ed Smith on Drums.

14. “You Don't Love Me” was composed and vocally rendered by the delightful Dutch jazz singer Caro Emerald on her superlatatious CD: Acoustic Sessions Parts I & II.

15. “My Dreams Are Gathered Safely In” was written by Baltimore’s own Marcus Dagan and Randy Lambert and was sung by Mr. Dagan on his regulated recording: This Train Still Runs, featuring the polymathematic John Woolridge on Keyboards, Guitars and Bass.

16. “A Salute to Elvis Costello” was conceived and produced by Matt Catingub and his Big Band on their album that also features on some tracks Catingub’s mother, the mid-century pop singer Mavis Rivers, titled: My Mommy & Me. The featured players are Jim Cox on Piano, Buddy Childers on Trumpet and Chris Stewart on Tenor Sax.

Pages: 1 0 replies