Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 4-10-19 Ellington

Pages: 1 0 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge April 10, 2019

On this week’s Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge radio show we offered a mostly vocal salute to the upcoming birthday of the great American composer, band leader and master pianist, Duke Ellington, who was born on April 29, 1899 and spent his formative years living in Washington, D.C.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge show is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm Eastern Standard Time (2-3 pm on the West Coast and 10-11 GMT in Europe) at http://www.radiofairfax.org. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

Past shows are now available to listen to in their entirety by streaming them at: https://www.mixcloud.com/Flashfriend/

1. “Braggin' in Brass,” the 1941 recording by Duke Ellington and his Orchestra taken from the righteous retrospective Jazz Moods: Hot.

2. “Saddest Tale,” sung by Billie Holiday accompanied by the Ellington orchestra from the soundtrack to the 1935 movie short: Symphony in Black, featured on the bulging Box Set: Lady Sings the Blues.

3. “Stompy Jones,” the Ellington composition played in 1940 by clarinetist Sidney Bechet on his album: Perdido Street Blues, with Henry “Red” Allen on Trumpet, Wellman Braud on Bass, J.C. Heard on Drums and Earl “Fatha” Hines on Piano.

4. The 1944 song by Duke Ellington & Bob Russell, “I Didn't Know About You,” sung by Mildred Bailey with Paul Baron’s Orchestra. This was taken from her radio show and the CD of the same name called Music Till Midnight. This was recorded in November 1944 for broadcast by the Armed Forces Radio Service during World War II.

5. “The Flaming Sword” from the unique live recording titled: Duke Ellington and His Famous Orchestra: Fargo, North Dakota, November 7, 1940, recorded by two college students using the rudimentary technology available to them at the time. This version features Duke on Piano, Sonny Greer on Drums, Jimmy Blanton on Bass, Juan Tizol on Trombone, Ray Nance on Cornet, and Rex Stewart on Trumpet.

6. “Don’t Get Around Much Anymore,” composed as an instrumental in 1940 by Ellington, with lyrics added in 1942 by Bob Russell, sung here by Mel Torme with the Marty Paich Orchestra on his historical document: Round Midnight.

7. “Dancers in Love,” written for the 1944 “Perfume Suite” Ellington called this “a stomp for beginners.” Recorded in 1953 for the album: Piano Reflections, this features Wendell Marshall on Bass and Butch Ballard on Drums.

8. “Lost in Meditation,” composed by Ellington, Lou Singer and Juan Tizol, and appearing on the 1957 recording: Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Duke Ellington Song Book, with the Duke Ellington Orchestra.

9. “Me and You” composed by Duke Ellington for his 1956 oracular orchestral occlusion with Rosemary Clooney, the LP titled Blue Rose, featuring Ray Nance on Trumpet.

10. The 1944 song by Duke Ellington, Don George, Johnny Hodges and Harry James, “I’m Beginning to See the Light” sung by Billy Eckstine on his 1960 album: Once More With Feeling, conducted and Arranged by Billy May with Jimmy Rowles on Piano, Benny Carter on Alto Sax, Justin Gordon on Tenor Sax and Red Callender on Bass.

11. “Do Nothin’ 'Til You Hear From Me,” the 1940 song by Duke Ellington and Bob Russell, on June Christy’s 1959 recording: Ballads for Night People, arranged and conducted by Husband Bob Cooper, featuring Joe Castro on Piano & Bud Shank on Flute.

12. The 1938 composition by Ellington, Harry Nemo and John Redmond, “I Let a Song Go Out of My Heart” sung Tony Bennett in 1961 and taken from his anthemic anthology: Jazz, accompanied by Marion Evans and His Orchestra, with John Bunch on Piano and Bobby Tricarico on Tenor Sax.

13. “Mood Indigo,” written by Ellington, Barney Bigard and Mitchell Parish, sung by Nina Simone while accompanying herself on Piano and found on her Compact Jazz collection.

14. “Daydream,” the 1946 song by Duke Ellington and Billy Strayhorn with lyrics by John Latouche, sung by Karrin Allyson on her 1997 CD also called Daydream, featuring Paul Smith on Piano and Gary Burton on Vibes.

15. “It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing),” written in 1931 by Duke Ellington and sung by Helen Merrill on her 1989 CD recorded in Paris: Just Friends, with Stan Getz on Tenor Sax, Joachim Kuhn on Piano, Jean-Francois Jenny Clark on Bass and Daniel Humair on Drums.

Pages: 1 0 replies