Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Fassionola?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 169 replies

On 2018-05-03 07:55, JCorduroy wrote:
For those who were curious, Blair's Kickstarter is now live - some great rewards in there!

http://kck.st/2JNlGdY

Thanks for the heads up. That got funded quickly!

Thank you so much for posting this. I saw the Tikiroom.com referral and was so excited! Been a LONG time since I've been around on here, but I think about it often.

Cheers!

Any Kickstarter contributors receive their BG fassionola yet? They're starting to surface but mine's not arrived yet. Can't wait to put it to use.

K
kkocka posted on Fri, Oct 5, 2018 7:13 PM

I haven't received my Kickstarter package yet but I did get some honey and fassionola from Blair when we met while he was at Disneyland. I haven't put it to use yet though because I'm taking a big drinking break.

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Oct 17, 2018 6:16 PM

My box came on Monday. The fassionola has a distinct passion fruit flavor (but a thinner consistency than Blair's passion fruit syrup), with some hint of cherry in the background. I'm enjoying it in a Cobra's Fang right now.

I still need to try Jonathan English's, too.

P

Does anyone know of a drink recipe that uses the GREEN fassionola? There are a few that use the red, including Pi Yi, Cobra's Fang and Hurricane, but I can't find anything that ever used the green. Of course I will eventually invent one myself, but just curious if green fassionola was ever actually used for anything.

On 2019-05-03 17:01, PiPhiRho wrote:
Does anyone know of a drink recipe that uses the GREEN fassionola? There are a few that use the red, including Pi Yi, Cobra's Fang and Hurricane, but I can't find anything that ever used the green. Of course I will eventually invent one myself, but just curious if green fassionola was ever actually used for anything.

Though I've never seen recipes that specifically call for it, I'm told the Tiki-Ti uses green fassionola. Perhaps someone has some Tiki Ti tributes floating around.

Re the new BG Reynolds product, it gets a thumbs-up from me. I haven't posted about it yet, but I'm prepared to say it's an acceptable substitute for Jonathan English in any of my Mai-Kai recipes. It's not as intense in color or flavor, but it's closer than any other product on the market.

Cobra Kiss tribute, fassionola test, March 2019

H

Even in that old promo sheet / advert with 10 different drink recipes, there isn't a single one specifically for the green:

On 2006-12-20 15:53, GatorRob wrote:

On 2019-05-06 15:20, HopeChest wrote:
Even in that old promo sheet / advert with 10 different drink recipes, there isn't a single one specifically for the green:

On 2006-12-20 15:53, GatorRob wrote:

Wow, that Zombie looks awful. In fact none of these are terribly exciting. LOL

On 2019-05-04 17:24, Hurricane Hayward wrote:

Though I've never seen recipes that specifically call for it, I'm told the Tiki-Ti uses green fassionola. Perhaps someone has some Tiki Ti tributes floating around.

Re the new BG Reynolds product, it gets a thumbs-up from me. I haven't posted about it yet, but I'm prepared to say it's an acceptable substitute for Jonathan English in any of my Mai-Kai recipes. It's not as intense in color or flavor, but it's closer than any other product on the market.

Cobra Kiss tribute, fassionola test, March 2019

From what I recall, the Sumatra Kula makes use of what I was told was "green passionfruit", which could be green fassionola. When they open up again I'll go order one and try to watch closely while they make it to see what the bottle looks like.

On 2019-05-06 20:33, PalmtreePat wrote:

From what I recall, the Sumatra Kula makes use of what I was told was "green passionfruit", which could be green fassionola. When they open up again I'll go order one and try to watch closely while they make it to see what the bottle looks like.

Had a Sumatra Kula tonight and watched them mix it. The drink does have a sort of lime cordial zip to it, as suggested by the marketing copy for the green fassionola, and there is a green syrup involved, but I only saw generic bottles with speed pourers, nothing that looked like a Jonathan English bottle. BUT, I got to talking to Mike Sr. and he told me that there are three "passionfruits" at play in the Tiki Ti: red, green, and gold, which fits the JE Fassionola lineup, so we've got that. I'm going to order up a bottle of the other two and just start experimenting.

P

Tiki Ti also has the Tiki Kapu. The ingredients given are lime, vodka, banana and pineapple but the bottom of the drink has a distinct green color that I don't think comes from any of those ingredients. It is probably green fassionola. It sounds like the Tiki uses gold fassionola for its passion fruit syrup and also uses the red and the green for different things. Wish I could get over there again. It has been too long.

On 2019-06-01 19:13, PiPhiRho wrote:
Tiki Ti also has the Tiki Kapu. The ingredients given are lime, vodka, banana and pineapple but the bottom of the drink has a distinct green color that I don't think comes from any of those ingredients. It is probably green fassionola. It sounds like the Tiki uses gold fassionola for its passion fruit syrup and also uses the red and the green for different things. Wish I could get over there again. It has been too long.

That's one I haven't checked off my list yet. I'll take a stab at it next time I visit.

On 2019-06-03 14:10, PalmtreePat wrote:

On 2019-06-01 19:13, PiPhiRho wrote:

That's one I haven't checked off my list yet. I'll take a stab at it next time I visit.

Ordered one up. The banana kind of eclipses the liminess I detected in the Sumatra Kula, but the green did come out of the same bottle they used last time. This isn't such a bad drink, but I'd rather have it with rum.

I finally obtained Jonathan English Fassionola and I do not like it. Cloyingly sweet with an artificial flavor. Too thick. Both the BG Reynolds and HH's homemade recipe are more balanced and make a better drink.

K
kkocka posted on Sat, Feb 1, 2020 9:30 AM

That's good to know and honestly probably not that much of a surprise - I still have an unopened Fassionola from BG Reynolds that I can't wait to crack open when I decide to make some of Hayward's Mai Kai tributes.

Follow me on Instagram
http://www.instagram.com/keithkocka

[ Edited by: kkocka 2020-02-01 09:31 ]

Would like to hear more testimonials of peoples experiences with BG fassionola. I didn't find it to be a 1:1 substitute for JE in Mai Kai tribute recipes and I only tried one or two of the suggested drinks from the BG recipe book and wasn't impressed with them. It's not a bad flavored syrup, it's just not something best suited for classic drinks that call for fassionola, in my opinion, and seems better suited as a new flavor component for new, original drinks.

Victor Kremer started making Passionola around 1916, and by the 1940s it was nationally advertised and distributed by Morgan and Sampson. Patrick Rose's Fassionola came around after Passionola — but when? Stay tuned. It's a new project we're researching...

Fred Wilke, manager of Kitty Davis's Airliner club in Miami Beach got the distribution rights and used both red and green Passionola in their signature drinks. Here are two. The Cooler used green, but not really sure of the pineapple measurement, THAT is estimated. We need taste-testers! Mahalo, Martin.

Passionola Bomber
Danny Davis/Fred Wilke, 1943
Kitty Davis’s Airliner, Miami Beach, FL

2 jiggers Ron Carioca Puerto Rican rum
2 jiggers Passionola [Fassionola Red]
1 jigger pineapple juice
1 jigger lime juice

Passionola Cooler
Danny Davis/Fred Wilke, 1943
Kitty Davis’s Airliner, Miami Beach, FL

2 jiggers gin
2 jiggers Passionola [Fassionola Green]
1 jigger pineapple juice
1 jigger lime juice

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Mar 30, 2022 9:10 PM

Does anyone have thoughts on "hasty fassionola"? I first heard about it from this recipe on Cocktail Virgin, which says Jason Alexander helped develop the ratio of 3 parts grenadine to 1 part passion fruit syrup.

H
Hamo posted on Fri, Sep 9, 2022 7:10 PM

I just discovered ClassicSanDiego's newest project: a book on fassionola with a related website.

https://fassionola.com

Here's a link to the book's Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/martinlindsay/fassionola

Looks pretty epic.

I would definitely use the hasty Fassionola recipe in a pinch, but I stocked up on Cocktail & Sons' rendition this past spring and I've exclusively been using that since then. One thing that's notable with the C&S product is that it includes strawberries in its makeup, which imparts what might be a fairly unique profile. All the same, the very simple hurricane recipe printed on the back of the bottle makes the best hurricane I've had to date.

I'm no math whiz, but I think the recipe for hasty passionola is 2-to-1 (3/4 = 1/2 oz Grenadine to 1/4 oz passion fruit syrup)

You're right--Frederic's recipe is 2:1, but he also says this: "Note: their hasty Fassionola was 3:1, but I was both lazy and hasty for my single serving and made it a la minute 2:1."

I really enjoy hasty fassionola in this Hurricane recipe from Blair Reynolds' 2018 Kickstarter drink booklet:

3 oz dark Jamaican rum
2 oz fassionola
1 oz lemon juice

H
Hamo posted on Sat, May 13, 2023 10:10 PM

A while back, eBay sent me a $5 coupon, so I decided to finally buy a bottle of Jonathan English. It's very interesting, nothing like BG Reynolds or hasty fassionola. I've tried it in several recipes, but still need to make a Cobra's Fang. I'll also point out that the ingredients indicate that it's made with sugar now instead of corn syrup.

IMG_8672

Try

https://www.moodymixologist.com/blog/fassionola-syrup-recipe

Or I have seen some folks suggest Hawaiian Punch concentrate.

Another recipe with thoughts as to origin/inspiration

https://www.thrillist.com/how-to/how-to-make-fassionola-the-lost-tiki-ingredient

If based on POG juice, it might help to explain an evolution to Trader Sam’s Gorilla Grog

Pages: 1 2 3 4 169 replies