Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Tiki Art Swap 2019 - Complete!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 185 replies

Crazy cool!!!

hang10tiki the moai is terrific but I LOVE the birds. So well done. You are setting the bar high for the rest of us. Wendy

Mike- :)
Wendy- no bar, just fun

Cheers

Very well done!

MH- thanks

hang10tiki tiki bars are all the rage!!!

:)

Hang10 that’s pretty cool wild idea.

So I’m struggling will all the freedom. I drew up something last night
I’m think of painting for the swap let me know what ya think.

Mahalo!

Anthony- glad you like the Easter Island piece

Yours is kool
Can’t go wrong with a growing tiki

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2019-05-14 10:42 ]

He's cool, kind of a Southwest/Polynesian fusion.

We have seen cactus growing in the Hawaiian Islands. I'm not sure how it got there but it's out in the wild. I made a cactus Tiki Bob years ago. You made one that has a lot of character. Right on! Wendy

63 days to go

Photos soon of my swap art piece. I just hope it survives the kiln. I've had some major problems lately with cracks etc.. My fault I didn't use the cones. Once I put them in I could see my kiln is firing too hot. I changed the thermal couple. Finger crossed on the next batch. Wendy

Hope it’s ok Wendy

I will have a long story to tell. It's due to come out of the kiln for the 3rd time tomorrow. Then I will know if it's good to swap or be smashed to bits. Wendy

PS I would start again

:o

Hopefully the fourth firing will work. Should have an answer by Monday. Wendy

Go Wendy!!! I haven't started yet but I have a plan. To many things going on right now! :o

H
Hamo posted on Sat, Jun 1, 2019 10:58 PM

I have a plan and haven't started yet, either....

M

I've started but I don't have a plan.

:up: :lol:

I'm still dealing with glaze fails but I haven't yet given up. Wendy

My piece is all done. I will be posting soon. I wonder who I'll be trading with. Cheers, Wendy

Whoooohoooo Wendy!!!

Pics
Pics
Pics

:up:
What he said

Hold you pants on guys. I have to finish posting my glazing catch up photos this week and then I'll post the swap art. Glad to see your enthusiasm. I want to see all of your art too! Wendy

:up: :lol:

What he said

I started work on the Swap mug on 5/23/19 and I got this far by 5/24/19.

This was actually the sculpt I did fired and then used to make a fogcutter mold. So it's the only one this large.

I used those little bottles of black under-glaze to label the bottom.

I glazed the inside with my favorite Blue Caprice Mayco Jungle Gem.

I bought this Moai from a exchange teacher in Chile. I used him for the more modern Moai style for my mug.

I used a couple of the little bottles to do some layers for the Moai. I also made it lumpy like rock.

Next I picked out all the rest of the under-glaze colors I was to use on the background.

I painted the rolling hills of Easter Island.

I used Dan's toothbrush to work the glaze into a different appearing texture.

I had a bit of colored glaze go on the Moai so I used more of the black to keep the edge black.

The perspective may be off but I wanted some pretty Bird Of Paradise flowers on the mug.

When all of these glazes were dry I did my first coat of Clear Brilliance glaze by Duncan. They do two but this one is the best.

Scrabble watched for hours and then conked out.

I ended up doing three layers of the clear.

Not bad for two days work. Wendy

Awesome Wendy
Does your swap partner get Dan-0s toothbrush too???

Can’t wait to see it post kiln

hang10tiki, Dan's sorry but he needs to keep his toothbrush.

===============================================================

The making of the art for the July Tiki Art Swap by MadDogMike continues.

This is the product I used to do the Moai on the bisqueware fogcutter mug. I think it needs to go on a glazed surface.

It did not work on bisque. It fell off in the kiln.

The parts that stuck I removed or tried to remove with a pick.

Once I got off all that would come off I

re-glazed it with Black Pingo which is just a great glaze.

I did a second layer and

Then I let it dry.

All of a sudden glaze fell from the sky leaving a large defect here and

here.

So I used the pick to make sure nothing else was loose and then I re-glazed the sky.

Just before I put it in the kiln I decided to re-glaze the Birds Of Paradise. I let them dry then into the kiln.

A few days later when out of the kiln I rubbed the mug all over. The only defects were two tiny spots at the lip.

I got out the right colors and I painted these until they disappeared.

Even though I think it's fine to use and long as the edge isn't scrubbed or subjected to hot water, this mug could be called a painting.

24 hours later it went into the home oven to set the paint. I had jazzed up the flowers on this Tiki Bobette so in she went to. Hot Tub Hula Girl faces are always done in enamel. Sometimes I do an eyebrow 14 times before it looks good with the opposite one.

Here is the Finished Swap mug. I also did some more enamel clouds in the sky to blend the colors better.

I'm all done and ready to ship it to my Swap buddy. I hope no one else ran into to many problems. Cheers, Wendy

Hi Wendy,

I haven't run into any problems yet. I'm still in the early stages.

Your finished mug came out really well! I like the sparkles on the inside. It makes you think twice about what you're drinking on the inside!

MaukaHale and the gate opens and they are off and running..... don't slow down. I love to see the photos show up. Wendy

Wendy- makes me want to travel to Easter Island
Mauka- what she said
off n running

Cheers

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2019-06-24 20:44 ]

Makua I’m excited to see that take shape..
Wendy the mug looks amazing...as always!

I got after my project the other day, once I started I really couldn’t stop
working on it. I finished it earlier today, hope you all like
it as much as I do. Mahalo

Pottiki
17”x11” quarter inch plywood cut out.

anthonymaye can we trust MadDogMike not to save your swap art for himself. You know he lives in the desert. Well done but I swear you already did another piece. Once day I will look back at all the pages to see if I can find it. Wendy

Hey Wendy that was just a sketch
I was planning out the painting with.

AnthonyMaye I went back and found it. Looked good enough as a sketch but even better as your painting.

MDM how may people are in this swap? One month to go. Wendy

AM- good one
I think I live in a desert too

hang10tiki yes you do. How funny is it that I didn't realize it. Wendy

Yay, vacation time! Time to roll up my sleeves...

A PNG tiki from the Mai Kai on the first page caught my eye, and served as vague inspiration.

Bust out the craft supplies:

Rough sketch:

Initial parts:

Internal bracing with hot glue - my first builds like this were so inefficient!

Details for the face:

Face assembled; I decided it needed more details:

Assembly done! Ready for skinning:

I might do a bit more relief on the torso, though. Elapsed time: 2 hours.

M

Its shaping up and looking good!

Joshua, you are so good at this. It's fun to see all the steps too. Wendy

Day Two: beefed up the outer structure a bit to avoid the paper mache "sinking". Super easy, will use this technique again. Added a bit of definition, too:

"You're going to do what to me with that?"

Into the convection oven to quick-dry. Oh, pro tip: the hot glue from Day One will melt if the oven is hot... no disaster, fortunately:

"I'm beside myself..."

Day Three: a some sanding and paper mache touch-ups, then it's time to paint...

And... done!

Joshua you are so good at this. He turned out beautifully. It was fun to watch too. Wendy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 185 replies