Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tonga Hut BOWL-O-RAMA 2 Art Show & Parking Lot Sale Sunday, June 30! The Zip Guns! Tiki Bowls! Fun!

Pages: 1 2 3 107 replies

T

WOW!

GROG, that Volcano bowl looks fantastic, especially considering how you just cobbled it together!

Swizzle, that bowl is exquisite!

Cass! Yer blowin' my mind, man! Glad you've been enjoying the process, your efforts are definitely coming through!

Just picked up my bowls, and I'm superexcited they turned out so well!

The original concept for the Giant Squid bowl had tentacles wrapped around two ships flanking the squid's body, but that end would have been very heavy, so I changed it to one ship on the opposite side. The ships were supposed to be fire chambers, so now there are three, the two tentacles wrapped around the body, and the ship!

See everybody at the Hut on Sunday!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jun 26, 2019 11:57 PM

Great job Eric.

That's a good looking bowl you got there, Swiz.

On 2019-06-25 20:23, swizzle wrote:
Are you going to add more yellow? The red ended up covering a lot of it but it still looks great.

You guessed right, Swizzers. The semitransparent red glaze covered the yellow a bit too well, so GROG definitely going to put more yellow back in there. Gotta get that lava HOT!!!
Touched up the black tonight, so tomorrow, or Friday GROG gonna hit the lava. Firing on Saturday for the show on Sunday. Down to the wire as always.

Wow looking like an amazing bowl lineup for the show!!! Congrats to all the artists!
So here are the last stages of the bowl: the last days of bar top resin work ( there were at least 10 spaced out coats) were difficult in the high humidity and rain here in the south. I chased the last top surface coats for 4 hours straight late at night but alas fish eyeing with all my bag o tricks did not pan out as planned. In Japanese wabi sabi fashion I dusted an imperfection with 10 ct gold dust, the next coat I had smelted 8 and 10 ct gold which I embedded in subsequent coats. There is a spot that I sanded and left raw to mark the base. After the 72 hour cure time I used Bioshield bees wax polish and hand polished the surface.
The coaster that goes under the bowl is cork and natural hemp rope with a lava bar top resin center, backed by a gold reflective foil; the coaster was then sealed and polished with the Bioshield.
The simple design of the bowl was made with easy cleaning in mind. It’s is cone 5 ceramic, food safe lead free glazes. The outer portion holds 68 oz.
For dry ice, safety observed using gloves to avoid dry ice burns and windows open for ventilation. To do the volcano 42 oz water max are poured into the center, and a piece, no larger than half a standard ice cube ( the piece pictured was the length of a cube but a slender sliver) is dropped in. Larger pieces can potentially damage the bowl ( I have ruined bowls in the past by using a lot of dry ice and the bowls froze and cracked on the spot). The bowl and base are en route to California as we speak; a challenge as my first trip to the post office I found out that the whole thing packaged together just exceeded their size limit; who knew they had a limit? So back and cutting and such to make a custom package for the base and a separate box for the bowl.
This project has been in progress over the last couple months or so and has been a fun and rewarding experience. I hope you enjoy it at Bowl-O-Rama 2 on June 30th at the Tonga Hut North Hollywood!
More details on the build can be seen in previous posts. A video can be seen on my Instagram (it wouldn’t load up here on TC)

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jun 28, 2019 1:43 PM

Damn Cass, that's a LOT of work you put into that baby, and it shows. Looking fwd to seeing this in person.

GROG gotta put some clear glaze on the Volcano bowl tonight, and got a couple of pieces that need some glaze sprayed on them for tomorrow's firing. GROG open the kiln on Sunday for Sunday's show. Cutting it close. Hope everything comes out OK.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Jun 29, 2019 12:54 AM

Ready for the kiln. Hopefully it will come out all right. If not, GROG still bring it in whatever condition it's in.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Jun 30, 2019 9:04 AM

Out of the kiln. Good and bad, this is what GROG bringing to the show.

Sprayed some more glaze to even it out the Wangaroan Bowl. Not perfect but good enough.

Gonna call the BOB, "PLUM BOB", and he is what he is.
Bringing this Moai bowl, too.

He has a small separation crack GROG tried to fill with glaze, to no avail, so he has an imperfection.

The bottom was ugly, so GROG put some material to cover it.

GROG added yellow and some clear glaze to the Volcano. It worked well in some areas, but where it was thick inside the bowl, it didn't work so well.
(The flash washed out the color a little bit in these pics.)

GROG shouldn't have put clear glaze over the crackle, because it flattened it out a bit, but still looks good.

This bowl REALLY doesn't like that yellow. The areas where it was thicker pop off, and couple areas that didn't pop off, ballooned out,
and the black area on the rocks still has some light areas GROG missed.
GROG going to have to fix these areas before GROG can sell it, but GROG still bring it to the show.

[ Edited by: grog 2019-06-30 09:20 ]

Big thanks to Eric for receiving and painstakingly unpacking my bowl and base that arrived safely in Los Angeles!!!
The bowls here are looking gorgeous! Grog sorry the fires of the kiln left you with more work to be done but they are sooo looking worth the effort. I hope your next pass is the winner!
Bummed to miss out on this great Sunday event! I will have to mix up a cocktail and scroll through photos posted today to help celebrate. Kampai!!!

Wow you men are really rocking it. So many cool pieces. Tomorrow I have jury duty but I hope to see photos and hear all the fun stories of the show soon.

Hugs,Wendy

H
Hamo posted on Sun, Jun 30, 2019 1:55 PM

Yes, I hope everyone's taking lots of pictures this afternoon to post here later. Have fun

S

The lava bowl looks much better with the added yellow GROG, it's just a shame it's still giving you trouble. Hopefully the re-fire will fix the problems and not cause any more.

And i LOVE the glaze on that Moai bowl (i can't see the crack at all). Is that low fire?

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jul 1, 2019 9:47 AM

The bowl show turned out great. Mike Sbica got first place with an incredible bowl. GROG not have photos. GROG pretty sure Cass was probably a close 2nd.

Thanks Swiz. GROG think this last touch up and fire should do the trick on the Volcano bowl , and then GROG post on ebay. That Moai bowl is low fire. GROG glaze it with one color glaze and GROG not like final color, so GROG glazed it over with a different glaze and the two combined to make this final color which was a happy accident.

Lots of people liked that Blue Wangaroan bowl. GROG could have sold it several times.

Mahalo Tiki aka Nelson Parker was vending at the sale and he sent these photos to me during the day. So sad to have missed it but what a great assortment of bowls. I hope to do one that doesn't crack for next year. Thank you Eric October for including my bowl. Wendy

Pages: 1 2 3 107 replies